oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I know what you're trying to say but it really isn't. Finish 20th and you probably need more of a rebuild than if you finish 7th. 

I still can't get my head around the theory that the majority of our players aren't good enough, I'd like to see Wilder spend time developing the likes of Jones and see how he performs with a second season under his belt. 

I think people are writing these players off far too quickly, we obviously need additions but I wouldn't do anything drastic yet.

Yes I agree. We obviously need a keeper, a left wing back and 2 forwards but the rest of the team is good enough to challenge. Not that I’d object to improving elsewhere of course but I don’t think they are critical. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, sackrobson2 said:

Yes I agree. We obviously need a keeper, a left wing back and 2 forwards but the rest of the team is good enough to challenge. Not that I’d object to improving elsewhere of course but I don’t think they are critical. 

I think we need one new midfielder on top of that. We’re in desperate need of someone to drive us forward at pace. 

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I know what you're trying to say but it really isn't. Finish 20th and you probably need more of a rebuild than if you finish 7th. 

I still can't get my head around the theory that the majority of our players aren't good enough, I'd like to see Wilder spend time developing the likes of Jones and see how he performs with a second season under his belt. 

I think people are writing these players off far too quickly, we obviously need additions but I wouldn't do anything drastic yet.

Depends whether you are looking at sixth or automatic

Wilders comments to the press over the weekend have got me thinking. He says there will be surprises and some players have been in the side because there’s no other options. So the likes of Hall, TO, even Payero aren’t covered in that. They’re nowhere near the team anyway. He then name checks Fry, Paddy, Jones, Tav and McGree as players he wants to stay and get more from. So that only leaves Lumley, Djiksteel, Bola, Crooks and Watmore as regular starters who he might be referring to. 
Lumley won’t be a shock, Bola hasn’t played that many games (as an aside, I think we were much better with Taylor in the side, very solid on the left with the flair down the right). So Crooks, Djiksteel and Watmore could be the surprises. 

I’ll be absolutely gutted if Dijksteel goes. 

We were two bad results away from being a play off side. If we want to talk automatics and competing with parachute payment clubs, then I do think we need half a team. Quality GK, LWB, LCB, CDM and two forwards minimum. Which is a pretty big ask. 

I don't feel we have a squad full of duds though... While we definitely need strengthening in a few key positions, I think it's also hard to take a step back and view your own team without emotion, especially after disappointment. 

Had a quick skim of City's fan forum after the Madrid result the other night and apparently... Bernardo Silva is their only good player. Ederson is a crap keeper. Laporte and Dias can't defend. Cancelo is useless. Grealish is hopeless. Sterling is awful. Gundogan is finished. None of the forwards can finish to save their lives. More than a few wondering if it was time for Pep to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
15 hours ago, JTG said:

I wonder with the mounting interest in Spence if we can leverage it to get a decent loan player in return from whoever he ends up going to. Might sweeten the deal?

they are most likely to use stuff like pay faster or all upfront as leverage 

23 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

What have Galway United ever done to you? The only way he'd get into Eamonn Deacy Park is by boring the Stewards with his story of how he once scored two goals against Spurs and about Pally Fanny!

he probs wants to see how the gally fanny measures up 

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Btw can the Gazette transfer Craig Johns back to the Chronicle asap?

Giving Luke "whoops I temporarily forgot I was a goalkeeper" Daniels a 7!

I thought that too, especially when I read how wilder was savage about differences between our team and there's and the comment "their keeper made saves" kinda made me feel he didn't quite rate his performance as a 7 lol

10 hours ago, p_mards said:

We already have McGree as a ready-made replacement for Tavernier at LCM, so while it would be a blow to lose Tavernier, we're pretty well prepared to lose him. Then we'd just need to sign a back-up LCM, assuming Caolon Boyd-Munce isn't ready yet. We don't have anyone ready to step in for Fry so we'd need to sign both a replacement and a back-up CB. Ideally it will be one experienced leader such as the current captains of their clubs like Sean Morrison from Cardiff or Darragh Lenihan from Blackburn to add leadership and aggression to the team - both of whom are out of contract, and one for the future like Harry Darling from MK Dons or Ross Sykes from Accrington. I really like the look of Darling in particular. For a 22 year old CB he's very mature and composed on the ball.

MK Dons have some serious talents, particularly the very unique Scott Twine who we should be all over. He naturally plays the dropping off striker role when we're in a 3-5-2 and I'm sure he could play as a #10 behind two strikers in a 5-2-1-2 like how Nottingham Forest generally play with Brennan Johnson linking things up from the #10 role. At times this season we've changed to that 5-2-1-2 formation when chasing a game, usually with Watmore awkwardly playing the #10 role, so that will surely interest Wilder and Scott in Twine.

Previously we've been awful at deciding when to buy and sell players, and this is a key barometer of what I'll measure Scott's success against in his time here. I'm more than happy for us to be brave with selling currently key players like Fry and Tavernier, with the aim being to reinvest the money wisely across many areas of the team as I think we have some good foundations in place to build from. We need a hell of a lot of new players in key areas, especially strikers which are usually expensive, so I understand why we'd want to sell players to raise funds. Spence being sold should raise around £15 million, which will be a massive boost to our budget. Throw in selling Tavernier (£8 million?) and/or Fry (£10 million?) then we're going to have a huge amount of budget to build a team with, albeit with even more work to do. There's tough decisions to be made.

Might just be me but I absolutely don't see a replacement for Tav in McGree. That's not to say McGree can't bring something for us and be a starter, I just don't see the same skillset, energy, drive etc. in McGree that I do in Tav. Our presence in midfield would be changed pretty dramatically in my opinion.

Edit: Having read on, it's not just me. CT 😘

• Like 1
15 hours ago, BoroJake said:

I really don’t understand why balogun was dropped when he was just starting to hit form. It was an absolutely bizarre decision to me personally 

me too, I thought alot of our success revolved around him and connoloy, as allowed you to bring on a fresh watmore if they didn't deliver after an hour and he always ran most teams ragged for half an hour and was effective. He can't play like that for 60 - 90 minutes and thats why he don't click when starts as other team are just as fresh as him and the advantage is gone, and subbing them 2 on for him and someone else in second half usually changes nothing. I did wonder if there was such thing as a commitment to playing both for them for a set number of games and his mind was made up prior to that - and once that was met he benched them both. But they seemed to be getting there at the point they was dropped. If was me I would of tried starting with Balagon and Colburn with watmore and sporar there if you needed them. 

14 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I thought the "model" was supposed to be Scott finding and then the club developing young or unheard off talent to make money while the team improves and develops steadily rather than filling the squad with loans? 

even if that is the plan thats not something that would instantly work to stop you needing loans as would take a few years to develop them players unless you got super lucky like we did with jones

13 hours ago, notjade said:

I'd be more shocked if we didn't get rid of both keepers

wouldn't be uncommon for the club to tell the keepers they not in the plans next season and if they want to move on then sort it out as would just get other 2nd/3rd choice in easy enough

13 hours ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I wonder if one of the shocks is Sammy Ameobi leaving 🤔

the shock is that he is finally match fit

I hadn't seen the full quote - no punches pulled!

“The issue I’ve had is I can’t come out and say what I really want to say because they’re still playing and giving everything.

“I don’t think, from a motivation point of view, the players would have taken too kindly to me saying, ‘give it a good go until the end of this season, but then I’m going to let a load of you go and there’s going to be a big rebuild’. But basically, now, there is going to be a big rebuild and I am going to let a load of you go, as you’ll see in the next couple of days.”

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?