oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It doesn't surprise me either but he wasn't even on the bench for the last one, which was kinda important you'd have to say, and if Wilder rated him at all then I think he'd have been there for it.  We'll know soon enough of course either way.  It's worth saying that it's not just DZ who has said Payero could be heading out.

He's played multiple games for the U23s recently, including a few days before Preston, I think he's just not fully fit yet.

It was quite a serious injury he picked up.

But then I suppose you could point at Lea Siliki who was also playing for them when it's clear now that there was never any intention of him featuring for the first team again after his awful performance against Barnsley.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

The Stoke match made me change my view on whether Wilder wanted Payero or not. He was stripped, warming up, 2-0 and cruising, great opportunity for him to get some minutes. I even thought he got called back from warming up to come on…then he got told to sit down and Connolly was brought on. To boos. All Wilders talk of Payero having a chance, maybe being end of season hero thrown out of the window. 

Feel so sorry for the guy. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
Just now, TeaCider24 said:

I can't imagine many clubs or managers in England accepting that style.

There's a big difference between having to get transfer targets signed off on/accepting input and being told exactly who you're signing and having no power or influence on it.

I think there has been a different culture historically speaking between how things are done here, and how things are done in say Spain for example.  Here we've had managers, and they were managers, who managed all aspects of the club from top to bottom.  I think Spain has went more towards head coaches who were solely tasked with coaching the first team squad.  Other people deal with everything else.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

For the love of God, Anglian, MULTIQUOTE!!!!!!

Do you expect me to read through 5 pages of posts and remember to hit multiquote every time I see something I want to respond to?

In any case, I'd rather just annoy you. 😝

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

He's played multiple games for the U23s recently, including a few days before Preston, I think he's just not fully fit yet.

It was quite a serious injury he picked up.

But then I suppose you could point at Lea Siliki who was also playing for them when it's clear now that there was never any intention of him featuring for the first team again after his awful performance against Barnsley.

I know he played a few days before Preston, which is partly my point.  The Preston game is the only one that mattered, and he was playing for the under 23's instead, and not involved at all in the important game.  It can't be because he's not fit as he was on the bench for the previous two games so Wilder just hasn't involved him.  Now, we can say that it was purely tactical, and Wilder just wanted defenders and strikers on the bench maybe.  Fair enough I suppose, although if true it doesn't really speak well for Wilder in my opinion but I'm not convinced that it is true.  If Wilder thought Payero could be useful to us in that game, even if it was just for the last 20 mins, then I think he has him in the squad.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Will said:

Also, does this mean you're my dad or does he now get some disappointing news too?

ya mam only had him on loan

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I know he played a few days before Preston, which is partly my point.  The Preston game is the only one that mattered, and he was playing for the under 23's instead, and not involved at all in the important game.  It can't be because he's not fit as he was on the bench for the previous two games so Wilder just hasn't involved him.  Now, we can say that it was purely tactical, and Wilder just wanted defenders and strikers on the bench maybe.  Fair enough I suppose, although if true it doesn't really speak well for Wilder in my opinion but I'm not convinced that it is true.  If Wilder thought Payero could be useful to us in that game, even if it was just for the last 20 mins, then I think he has him in the squad.

Being on the bench doesn't mean he's fully fit though.

He was only on the bench for two games when Crooks was suspended and one game where McNair was ill.

Neither of those players were missing against Preston. 

1 hour ago, ScarBoro said:

Players in England can sign pre contracts with clubs abroad from January, can’t they? presume we we do same if we are looking for players from Europe?

im actually not sure so you could well be right. Conversations and deals will already be underway though easily

5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Being on the bench doesn't mean he's fully fit though.

He was only on the bench for two games when Crooks was suspended and one game where McNair was ill.

Neither of those players were missing against Preston. 

Yeah I know but he was in the squad, Wilder at least had him involved in those two games.  For the final game he wasn't involved at all.  I suppose he could have gotten less fit in that time, maybe gotten injured playing midweek, but it seems odd to include someone on the bench then remove them from the bench if you actually rate them.  It's not like we had other midfielders who could step in either cos we didn't select any others.  Siliki had been on the bench for a couple before Payero came back, Payero then replaced him essentially.  Even assuming Payero isn't fully fit, he must have at least gained some match sharpness playing with the Under 23's.  I just don't see why Wilder wouldn't have him around if he rates him.  As a manager, even if you only think you can get 20 mins out of someone, you can put them on the bench, especially for a big game.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Do you expect me to read through 5 pages of posts and remember to hit multiquote every time I see something I want to respond to?

In any case, I'd rather just annoy you. 😝

There is me thinking there has been some transfer news but it's just you replying to everyone individually! 😁

• Haha 1

What is with the Payero love-in from some posters?

Don’t get me wrong, he seems like a good lad and I hope it works out for him. But some of the talk about being one of the potential best midfielders in the league is premature imo. I don’t think think anybody has seen enough of him to make a claim like that.

If it doesn’t work out, I’d blame the club more than Wilder. Spending upwards of 5m on a player that the current manager doesn’t want, and knowing fine well that there is going to be a change in manager within the next year - in hindsight it wasn’t our best idea.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah I know but he was in the squad, Wilder at least had him involved in those two games.  For the final game he wasn't involved at all.  I suppose he could have gotten less fit in that time, maybe gotten injured playing midweek, but it seems odd to include someone on the bench then remove them from the bench if you actually rate them.  It's not like we had other midfielders who could step in either cos we didn't select any others.  Siliki had been on the bench for a couple before Payero came back, Payero then replaced him essentially.  Even assuming Payero isn't fully fit, he must have at least gained some match sharpness playing with the Under 23's.  I just don't see why Wilder wouldn't have him around if he rates him.  As a manager, even if you only think you can get 20 mins out of someone, you can put them on the bench, especially for a big game.

I do genuinely think it's because he doesn't really mix up the midfield unless forced.

In 2022, the only time Siliki has made the squad under Wilder is when other players have been injured or suspended.

Against Barnsley, Payero and McGree were injured and Crooks was suspended. This was the one game he started.

Against Huddersfield, Crooks was banned and Payero was injured.

Against Hull, Jones was ill and Payero was injured.

Against Sheffield United, Dijksteel was ill and Payero was injured.

Barring Preston, Payero has made every squad he's been available for and he's been recovering from injuries for a lot of Wilder's time here.

I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't rate Payero and I wouldn't be shocked if he's off in the summer, so I'm not outright denying it's possible, his comments certainly indicated that he thought he could do more impress him in training.

54 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

There is me thinking there has been some transfer news but it's just you replying to everyone individually! 😁

Sorry - I had some catching up to do. Think its probably a bit early for any serious transfer talk anyway. 

Things should start to get exciting around late August. 😜

• Like 1

Payero needs to play regularly so that he's both developing and increasing his value - much like we got right with Djed Spence. As Crooks is our first choice CM, a vital cog in our team and isn't injury prone, I see Payero's opportunity to break into the team a pretty low. Even then if he does get the opportunity to step in for Crooks, he has previously picked up lots of niggly injuries in the robust Championship so there are question marks over his ability to play consistently for us. Him sitting on the bench for us is awful business sense.

If we keep Payero here as our back-up RCM and, as expected, he doesn't break into the team then next summer we're going to have a stagnated player who has barely player for two seasons, despite us paying a significant fee for him, that will result in us taking a massive hit on his transfer fee. If he impresses out on loan then he could either come back and break into our first team or we will cash in on him when his value has increased, like we're going to do with Spence.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?