oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

All of the above @Neverbefore is why I want to see the players in a Boro shirt before I will ultimately judge them. 

We can by all means judge them after we see them in the flesh but fans generally know their own Players. It's only a very small percentage that go on to prove fans wrong.

Boro fans have been gutted about losing players who they rated and equally delighted when others have departed. Where we wrong about, Schwarzer, Downing (the first time), Bamford, Juninho, Pallister, Mowbray or the Zenden's, Merson's, Viduka's and Ziege's? Even the likes of Traore left many fans deflated despite his questionable end product, they were largely held in high esteem despite the manner of the departure not always being what we would have liked. If asked we may have had a moan say about Merson but nobody would have said he was a crap footballer or even Ramirez come to that.

Conversely our opinions on the likes of Fletcher, Guzan, Gestede, Barragan and a very very long list of others were not without merit. Fans opinions have a huge amount of credibility, with the right move some players can get their careers back on track (Ramirez) but it's a very small minority not the majority and not thirty somethings. Speaking of thirty somethings, Bamba came here with the blessing of Cardiff fans and even now their local paper published his leaving message to Boro fans such is the esteem he is still held in South Wales, they certainly weren't wrong about him.

• Like 2

Really hope that we get a team we can all get behind next season without any preconceived ideas.

One thing for certain we are desperate for success and those players that try will get a whole lot of support from the fans

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

The poster who claims Ciaran Clark is average to poor league 1 standard really needs to revisit his views.

If you get the opportunity you should ask Alan Shearer what he thinks of him as a Footballer? 

2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

If you get the opportunity you should ask Alan Shearer what he thinks of him as a Footballer? 

But why do I need to ask Alan Shearer for his views. Why not look at the facts? Has he or has he not played almost the entirety of his career in PL. So on what basis is he a mid to lower level league 1 player?

You don't survive for that long in PL if you are league 1 standard. If you are out of your depth you very quickly get exposed at that level

We as fans noted that some our promotion winning team (who were brilliant in championship) looked out they depth in PL after just a season.  

Ciaran Clark is by no means a world beater and am not even advocating we sign him but to suggest the lad is bottom end League 1 standard is baffling given his record.

1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

But why do I need to ask Alan Shearer for his views. Why not look at the facts? Has he or has he not played almost the entirety of his career in PL. So on what basis is he a mid to lower level league 1 player?

You don't survive for that long in PL if you are league 1 standard. If you are out of your depth you very quickly get exposed at that level

We as fans noted that some our promotion winning team (who were brilliant in championship) looked out they depth in PL after just a season.  

Ciaran Clark is by no means a world beater and am not even advocating we sign him but to suggest the lad is bottom end League 1 standard is baffling given his record.

On a positive he is reasonable at set pieces scoring from Corners and Free Kicks. Defensively he is a nervy basket case and unfortunately his goals don't negate his poor decision making at the back plus the fact he is getting on and hasn't played in ages won't have improved him any. His ability is somewhere between Sean St. Ledger and Andre Bikey on a bad day.

3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

We can by all means judge them after we see them in the flesh but fans generally know their own Players. It's only a very small percentage that go on to prove fans wrong.

That balance of probability doesn't really matter to me. All I need to know is that it can be wrong and that I give the players we sign the cleanest slate possible to perform as a Boro player. I won't handle that perfectly every time but that's the way I'd like to do it. I think the motivations that make us think otherwise aren't really good. We want our team to succeed, not to be proven right about players we think are crap before we sign them, surely.

I don't want to shut down people throwing their opinions into the mix, I'm hardly void of opinions on players before they play for us. I'll still go through the same process of thinking whether they will actually improve us or not based on what I do know. I just want to put that to one side when I watch them play for us because, like many a football fan, I trust my own judgement when forming my own opinion over the opinions of fans of other teams.

As I said before, I know I won't judge a player anywhere near as accurately as I judge a Boro player because those are the only ones I watch week in, week out on the pitch. If that aligns with previous after the fact then it really doesn't matter either way, does it? At least then I know I'm giving the player the best chance to leave whatever baggage they may have behind them and it's also an attempt to make sure that those with bigger reputations get the same chance as those without.

Darlow, Lewis & Ritchie I would look at.

Clark is shocking. If we was bottom half Championship I'd consider him but we ain't.

£2m-£3m for Darlow. At 32 in October. He'd be fine in The Championship and if we reach the Prem as backup till late 30's.

£1m-£1.5m for Ritchie. He's got two seasons left in him. He's 33 in September.

Jamal Lewis would be worth too much. Don't see them selling him on the cheap.

Ritchie at that price would be worth it. Don't want to pay £6m-£7m like we did with Downing for him to come back and take the *** quite frankly.

4 hours ago, Essuuaitch said:

were really short of a tough no-nonsense centre back that will compliment the more refined players we currently have. fry,dijksteel and mcnair are   good defenders but   can be bullied and we have struggled in melee situations to hoof the ball clear, id be looking at porteuos from hibs    

I disagree with mcnair being a good defender. He's a poor defender who makes himself look better by being comfortable on the ball with a decent touch. In one on one situations he gets beaten too easily and he's weak in the air also his decisions such as how and where to clear the ball and where to position himself cost us alot of goals. He basically looks what he is... a midfielder plugging a gap.

Other than that I agree with the other points we certainly need a strong ball winner back there and someone who can organise.

18 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

That balance of probability doesn't really matter to me. All I need to know is that it can be wrong and that I give the players we sign the cleanest slate possible to perform as a Boro player. I won't handle that perfectly every time but that's the way I'd like to do it. I think the motivations that make us think otherwise aren't really good. We want our team to succeed, not to be proven right about players we think are crap before we sign them, surely.

I don't want to shut down people throwing their opinions into the mix, I'm hardly void of opinions on players before they play for us. I'll still go through the same process of thinking whether they will actually improve us or not based on what I do know. I just want to put that to one side when I watch them play for us because, like many a football fan, I trust my own judgement when forming my own opinion over the opinions of fans of other teams.

As I said before, I know I won't judge a player anywhere near as accurately as I judge a Boro player because those are the only ones I watch week in, week out on the pitch. If that aligns with previous after the fact then it really doesn't matter either way, does it? At least then I know I'm giving the player the best chance to leave whatever baggage they may have behind them and it's also an attempt to make sure that those with bigger reputations get the same chance as those without.

I don't think any football fan from any club wants a player to fail. Even I wanted Connolly to score a hat trick for Boro's sake!

18 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Out of interest who was the last player that pleasantly surprised you despite you dreading when they were linked and eventually signed?

Ngl… Matt Crooks. 6ft odd plodder from League One, a proper Warnock signing. Oh how I was wrong

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?