oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

11 minutes ago, Alves car salesman said:

Pedersen really isn’t very good at all! Really should be aiming for lot better than him if we want to be challenging at the top end of the table.

As a versatile squad player on a free, it's a no brainer for me.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Would be decent competition but I think we need someone with a bit more pace and trickery. A left sided Jones so to speak to make us more dangerous on the left side. Anyway he’d be an upgrade on Bola and Taylor. 

I agree with that, for me I'd see him as competition for two positions (Leftback and Left centre back). He'd be a big upgrade on Peltier who filled that role to a degree. But we 100% need a new Left back.

With City signing Haaland... Would a loan for Cole Palmer be beyond the realms of possibility? He looks class the few tines I've seen him but has barely had a kick for them this year. 

Apparently the Geordies wanted him in January but they said no because Torres left. Saw someone say Wilder has a good relationship with Pep so maybe he'd rethink now they've got a new striker. 

12 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Id take Clark Harris if he wasn't Britt levels of expensive. Scored quite a few goals considering the team he was in this year and a difficult start 

He 100% would not be Assombalonga levels of expensive.

We only paid £15m for him because that was his release clause and Forest didn't want to sell.

Clarke-Harris is 3 years older than Assombalonga was, is at a League One club and has scored fewer goals per game, Peterborough also paid significantly less for him than Forest did for Assombalonga.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

With City signing Haaland... Would a loan for Cole Palmer be beyond the realms of possibility? He looks class the few tines I've seen him but has barely had a kick for them this year. 

Apparently the Geordies wanted him in January but they said no because Torres left. Saw someone say Wilder has a good relationship with Pep so maybe he'd rethink now they've got a new striker. 

There's also Delap from there as well who I'd imagine will be going out on loan this season. They would both be decent options as I doubt they will get much game time if Jesus remains there.

21 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

There's also Delap from there as well who I'd imagine will be going out on loan this season. They would both be decent options as I doubt they will get much game time if Jesus remains there.

Yeah good shout, Delap would be a great option too. Sounds like they have an incredible generation of English talent coming through that academy.

Some smart loans from the big clubs can make all the difference - so hard to know if they'll sink or swim in the Championship though. 

13 hours ago, nunthorpered said:

Everyone though Balogun was tbh and look how that turned out. He won't be a main striker anyway 

yeh but Balogun was  (and still is ) a young prospect when we brought him with no notable history to base our opinions off of other than a few games for arsenal, his place in the England u21 squad and the general media hype around him.

Lee Gregory on the other hand has a considerable history to look at which shows that hes been average at best in championship, performing at his best when playing for Millwall who were notoriously known for playing hoof ball ( a style that is the polar opposite of what wilder tries to do).  Additionally if you look at his recent championship history, you'll see he's done nothing of late. In his previous two seasons in the championship, hes only scored 10 goals in his last 56  games with 4 assists.

for comparison, Balogun has a record of  3 in 18 which over 56 games is 10 goals. (and 3 assists)

watmore has 16 in 71 which is a better record than gregorys most recent. (3 assists)

sporar's record this season is 8 in 35 which again is a better record than Gregorys most recent form. (2 assists)

even Coburn got  4 in 18 in the league (rarely started either) which of 56 games works out as 13 goals.

all of our current strikers have matched or outperformed lee gregory based on his previous two seasons and when you factor in that he will 34 at the start of next season, i just don't see how any argument could be made for him to be a suitable replacement.

Also, I'm not suggesting our strike force is good, IMO we need two new strikers and id be happy to see watmore and Coburn as backups as I think both can definitely offer something to the squad.  But I just don't see an aging lee gregory who has failed to perform in his last 2 championship seasons as any kind of improvement on what we already have.

Edited by tmcc
  • Like 2
30 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I think that would just repeat the Balogun experiment. He's a bit younger than Balogun and has even less experience. When you look at successful loans from Premier league clubs to a championship team they tend to be when the player has had previous experience in league one or championship. What we need to be looking for is the equivalent of Morgan Gibbs-White. He had a fantastic loan this year but he had previously played more than 20 times in the championship for Wolves and on loan at Swansea. Bamford is another example. He had successful loans at MK Dons and Derby before we poached him.

Ironically, I don't know if there was a fall-out behind the scenes, but next season would probably be a good time to loan in Balogun. He's had half a season to toughen up and, if he's going to make it as a player, next season is the one where he will come good. 

It would be interesting to get a list of prem players who were out on loan in league one or the championship last season, played at least 20 times and are maybe going out on loan again. That seems to me to be the loan market we should be looking at. 

That said, I don't know what Wilder's criteria in a striker is so it is hard to know what kind of strikers he will be looking for. 

• Like 2

Cole palmer is more of a winger. So I don’t think he would fit into wilders system. Delap is untested, but don’t see why not. Pederson from Birmingham a no for me. Thought he was dreadful against us, also got sent off. 

Lee Gregory just doesn't fit with Wilder's closing down, chasing, harrying style of a Striker. We may as well stick with Uche as bringing in a soon to be 34 year old Gregory.

If we played to Gregory's style and it was January and our Main Striker was out for the season and he would plug a gap for a few months then I could see some logic in it. As it is there is nothing even remotely compatible with Wilder's game plan unless of course he wants to now embrace a Plan B in which case we already have a big lump that is cheap as chips.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Guffie said:

Cole palmer is more of a winger. So I don’t think he would fit into wilders system. Delap is untested, but don’t see why not. Pederson from Birmingham a no for me. Thought he was dreadful against us, also got sent off. 

Lol. The club are regularly mocked for signing players because they have a good game against us but seems you are writing one off for a bad game against us.

I can see the logic in Pederson but would prefer Davies and Naismith for that side.

1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

Lol. The club are regularly mocked for signing players because they have a good game against us but seems you are writing one off for a bad game against us.

I can see the logic in Pederson but would prefer Davies and Naismith for that side.

Well yeah. I’m basing it off the games I’ve seen him in. Watched him a couple times, wasn’t impressed. Then against us he was dreadful lol. What do you want me to say? I’m not writing him off, just don’t think be a good signing. But each to their own. Would like Naismith, looks a great player.

3 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

If Wilder has a good relationship with Pep then Cancelo and KDB would be a good start. 

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Bielk has been told to leave Derby county if he wants to feature at world Cup by Poland FA. He would be a great option if we kept him fit

He'd be ideal but that's a huge if with him.

Then you factor in trying to deal with Derby. It would be hilarious seeing the Derby fans reaction though. 

• Haha 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?