oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

7 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I'm confused by people who wouldn't welcome Gibson back. He's absolute quality in the championship. The defence under Karanka was arguably the best the division has seen in recent memory and he was a massive part of it.

Not to mention he also brings that character/experience and leadership we can see the team sorely needs. 

On Darlow, I can't say I know much about him but all the barcodes I've asked say he'd be a very good number 1 in the championship. None were particularly negative about him 🤷

I don't think there's many people who think Gibson is a bad player but there are questions there over fee, wages and suitability for this team that I think are worth asking. This is a very different team to the one he played in under Karanka.

• Like 3
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

I see luke freeman has been released by Sheffield utd. We have been linked with him multiple times in the past, worth a contract surely seeing as wilder signed him knows him we have no doubt scouted him extensively. Or maybe wilder thinks he's a dud an stays clear. 

If the player we were being linked with wasn't called Ben Gibson, just another centre back who had two promotions under his belt, who had Premier League experience and was in his prime years, people would be miles more excited about signing him.

I'd love to have Gibson back personally, but as Will says, it depends what the hit on our budget and wage bill would be.

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Tom said:

If the player we were being linked with wasn't called Ben Gibson, just another centre back who had two promotions under his belt, who had Premier League experience and was in his prime years, people would be miles more excited about signing him.

I'd love to have Gibson back personally, but as Will says, it depends what the hit on our budget and wage bill would be.

Not if he'd barely played 50 games in the last 4 years for Burnley and Norwich and was looking to be £5m+

21 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I'm confused by people who wouldn't welcome Gibson back. He's absolute quality in the championship. The defence under Karanka was arguably the best the division has seen in recent memory and he was a massive part of it.

Not to mention he also brings that character/experience and leadership we can see the team sorely needs. 

On Darlow, I can't say I know much about him but all the barcodes I've asked say he'd be a very good number 1 in the championship. None were particularly negative about him 🤷

Darlow is a decent championship keeper but he'd need replacing if we got promoted, he's proven time and time again he's not good enough for the PL.

2 minutes ago, notjade said:

Not if he'd barely played 50 games in the last 4 years for Burnley and Norwich and was looking to be £5m+

He's played 60 games in the last 2 seasons.

Just now, Tom said:

He's played 60 games in the last 2 seasons.

Ok so I eyeballed the maths. In the 2 seasons he was at Burnley he played like 6.  66 apps in 4 years for two *** teams

For example - Grant Hanley is comparable, 1 year older but played far more games recently, has 3 promotions to the Prem under his belt AND is the Norwich captain. Would I be mega excited at signing him for £5m? No

People only want Gibson coz he's from here

35 minutes ago, Will said:

These two just aren't true. His pass completion % is 15% higher than Lenihan's this season in a much better league whilst completing more passes per game with basically the same amount of long balls per game.

The problem with stats are they can be misleading. They do not paint a clear, accurate picture. You can get a great pass completion by passing it around the back four and keeper, whilst getting nowhere fast, especially versus teams that sit in. You are not really comparing like for like systems, tactics, instructions given to players for me.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DocMartin said:

The problem with stats are they can be misleading. They do not paint a clear, accurate picture. You can get a great pass completion by passing it around the back four and keeper, whilst getting nowhere fast, especially versus teams that sit in. You are not really comparing like for like systems, tactics, instructions given to players for me.

The other week you pulled up the highlights of one game Karl Darlow played in 4-5 years ago as evidence to back up your opinion on him. I think the stats tell more accurate stories than that.

6 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Definitely looks like one for the future. 19 years old, never made an appearance for Watford, has been on loan in the National League South since February. Apparently he’s been on trial with us since last month.

Edit: he made one appearance for Watford as a sub in the FA cup

6 minutes ago, notjade said:

Ok so I eyeballed the maths. In the 2 seasons he was at Burnley he played like 6.  66 apps in 4 years for two *** teams

For example - Grant Hanley is comparable, 1 year older but played far more games recently, has 3 promotions to the Prem under his belt AND is the Norwich captain. Would I be mega excited at signing him for £5m? No

People only want Gibson coz he's from here

I think your first mistake is bothering to account for his Burnley time at all. One of the worries I had about Gibson when he was training with us was how little he'd played at Burnley. He's played 60 games in 2 seasons since then. The time Hanley has had on the pitch has had about 9 games more per season than Gibson in the last 2 years and that's with the ankle surgery Gibson had to have that ended his season at the end of March 2021, meaning he had to miss at least 8 games. He's only missed the squad 2 games this season in the Premier League.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think your first mistake is bothering to account for his Burnley time at all. One of the worries I had about Gibson when he was training with us was how little he'd played at Burnley. He's played 60 games in 2 seasons since then. The time Hanley has had on the pitch has had about 9 games more per season than Gibson in the last 2 years and that's with the ankle surgery Gibson had to have that ended his season at the end of March 2021, meaning he had to miss at least 8 games. He's only missed the squad 2 games this season in the Premier League.

Ok, would you be happy signing Hanley at 5m? On paper they are still comparable

I've got nothing against signing him back but only at market rate. Even on the norwich forums they're saying the only way they get anywhere near back what they paid for him is if Boro are in for him, they know no one else would pay as much as us.

4 minutes ago, JTG said:

Definitely looks like one for the future. 19 years old, never made an appearance for Watford, has been on loan in the National League South since February. Apparently he’s been on trial with us since last month.

Edit: he made one appearance for Watford as a sub in the FA cup

he's a holding midfielder, just to add to the information.

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?