oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

1 minute ago, notjade said:

Ok, would you be happy signing Hanley at 5m? On paper they are still comparable

I've got nothing against signing him back but only at market rate. Even on the norwich forums they're saying the only way they get anywhere near back what they paid for him is if Boro are in for him, they know no one else would pay as much as us.

I never said anything about wanting to spend £5m on Gibson. Both myself and Tom said there are questions about how it hits our budget, not that we should go in with that kind of figure.

I'm not even convinced he's a good fit for the side but you're pointing out his playing stats like they mean anything about what we're buying. I'd say on that front they're pretty good, not the other way around.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Holding midfielder apparently. Possibly thinking beyond Howson's next contract?

I'd like to us to start thinking beyond Howson rather than his next contract.

It's a tough one for Gibson because for me he's not good enough for the finances involved. I'm sure he'd take a wage cut to play for his boyhood club but the transfer fee is going to be too high for what we're getting. He's good enough for the Championship defensively but he doesn't have pace, can't carry the ball out from defence and isn't great with the ball at his feet. He's a leader to some extent, is left-footed and does fit the criteria of 'attitude over ability'.

Like I've said in a previous post if it was next summer with a year left on his contract we'd be picking him up for £2m-£3m and that would seem like a good deal. But this summer it will be too expensive.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Wonder if he's for the first team squad. They usually say whether they hook up with the U23's, and pointless crossing from one youth team to the other i bet

Think he'll be for U23's. Howson needs to be backup/rotation CDM behind someone else.

6 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

It's a tough one for Gibson because for me he's not good enough for the finances involved. I'm sure he'd take a wage cut to play for his boyhood club but the transfer fee is going to be too high for what we're getting. He's good enough for the Championship defensively but he doesn't have pace, can't carry the ball out from defence and isn't great with the ball at his feet. He's a leader to some extent, is left-footed and does fit the criteria of 'attitude over ability'.

Like I've said in a previous post if it was next summer with a year left on his contract we'd be picking him up for £2m-£3m and that would seem like a good deal. But this summer it will be too expensive.

This is a myth that I dispelled a week or two ago - he makes more passes than any other Norwich player, has the highest pass completion rate, loses the ball the least in their squad, has the least unsuccessful touches per game. He may not dribble with it very often but he is very comfortable with the ball at his feet for a centre back. I think he's perfect for the middle of the 3, so I'm unsure if we'll be in unless fry goes. But he's never been tested as a wilder type centre back either, so you never know, he might take to it. If he did, it would be extremely useful for us to have him as our first choice lcb and also be able to fill in in the centre when fry has his inevitable injury periods.

• Like 2
Just now, Neverbefore said:

This is a myth that I dispelled a week or two ago - he makes more passes than any other Norwich player, has the highest pass completion rate, loses the ball the least in their squad, has the least unsuccessful touches per game. He may not dribble with it very often but he is very comfortable with the ball at his feet for a centre back. I think he's perfect for the middle of the 3, so I'm unsure if we'll be in unless fry goes. But he's never been tested as a wilder type centre back either, so you never know, he might take to it. If he did, it would be extremely useful for us to have him as our first choice lcb and also be able to fill in in the centre when fry has his inevitable injury periods.

I'm not on about passes. I'm on about dribbling with the ball at his feet, stepping into midfielder or attacking like Dijksteel and McNair both do from the WCB position. He doesn't have the attributes to be an overlapping CB or step into midfield.

Passing he's fine with, never said he wasn't. 

• Like 1

Nice to see we got a first signing, expect him to go on loan somewhere like but hope the lad has a bright future at the club and becomes a key player for us in the years to come  😁

5 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

I'm not on about passes. I'm on about dribbling with the ball at his feet, stepping into midfielder or attacking like Dijksteel and McNair both do from the WCB position. He doesn't have the attributes to be an overlapping CB or step into midfield.

Passing he's fine with, never said he wasn't. 

Yeah that would be an issue with him.  He can't commit opposition players in the same way as McNair and Dijksteel can.  I suspect if we're seriously interesting in signing him it would be for the central spot, knowing he can cover the left sided spot on occasion if he had to.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah that would be an issue with him.  He can't commit opposition players in the same way as McNair and Dijksteel can.  I suspect if we're seriously interesting in signing him it would be for the central spot, knowing he can cover the left sided spot on occasion if he had to.

Agreed. The fee of roughly £6m that it would take to sign him can be better used IMO. He'll come back eventually but I hope it's with a year left on his contract so it's a much cheaper move or at the end of his Norwich contract. 

I'm not sure if he'd be physical enough for CCB, we've seen Fry get bullied too often. The lack of pace would be a concern too.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, notjade said:

Ok so I eyeballed the maths. In the 2 seasons he was at Burnley he played like 6.  66 apps in 4 years for two *** teams

For example - Grant Hanley is comparable, 1 year older but played far more games recently, has 3 promotions to the Prem under his belt AND is the Norwich captain. Would I be mega excited at signing him for £5m? No

People only want Gibson coz he's from here

You cant hold the Burnley thing against him - that whole team was built around Tarkowski and Mee. 

Seeing what he's done with Norwich is the only thing we can judge him on. 

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?