oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

26 minutes ago, T-CIDER said:

Big fan of his, but can't see him dropping down divisions.

Dropping down ONE div to a side that should be battling top half shouldn't be a problem shirley

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

11 hours ago, p_mards said:

While I'll be happy if we signed Gibson, I also understand the apprehension from some fans. ...

It's clear that Gibson ticks a lot of key boxes as he's experienced, has leadership qualities and is a very good quality left-footed CB so is exactly the sort of player we need for the LCB role. The only issue is whether it's good value for money. Norwich paid £8 million for him last summer as part of their loan agreement the previous season - so that will have inflated the figure. He's 29 year old and has two years left on his contract so I don't think he'll cost anywhere near that level - probably closer to half the figure. If it's £4 million and within our wage structure then it'd be difficult to argue against it.

This is the thing isn't it. Gibson is an almost perfect example of where it is hard to judge whether he would be a success. He used to be good, didn't play for 2 years then he's played 2 seasons but only about 2/3 of the games each time with mixed results. He would be one of the most experienced players in the squad but it's not clear that he would be worth the likely cost and he wouldn't have much resale value. His best position is probably in the middle of a three but I think he would be better on the left of a three than McNair is.*

Personally, I find it hard to believe that Norwich would be willing to sell him for a price we would be willing to pay. It also seems unlikely that he would be willing to take a 50% wage cut as I doubt we would be willing to commit to more than £20K per week. However, if the money was right then I think he would definitely improve us by playing at LCB and covering in the middle when Fry is injured or absent.

If I had to guess, one of the promoted teams might buy him but the most likely outcome is that he stays at Norwich as I doubt anyone is willing to take a punt on his fee and wages. Looks like he may have fallen out down the pecking list under Dean Smith. Not inconceivable that he might go out on loan to Rangers or Celtic. 

Overall, if Gibson really wants to make this happen and Norwich are prepared to cut their losses then he could be a really good signing. Lot of ifs and buts in that.

*The wide-centre-back role that Wilder uses doesn't require fancy footwork but it does require the centre back to have the ability to get down the channel so that the other side have to figure out how to deal with 3 players who might make that run. McNair is actually very poor at that because he doesn't have a left foot. Gibson could do it and he is also comfortable with the ball at his feet. O'Connell has played that role for years under Wilder: he's 6' 3" and fairly industrial. He averages 1 goal or assist every 10 games or so. Gibson, assuming he can recapture his best form, ought to be at least as good at that role as O'Connell is. (FIFA22 doesn't agree.)

12 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Only flaw with that plan is Fry actually wants to be here and not a benchwarmer somewhere away from his family,  

Where does this 20m for Spence come from?????

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Technically.

He never played a single game for them and Wilder will certainly have based his opinion on how he played for Birmingham.

This new lad has played in the third division of Germany for a bit and had 3 years in the MLS.

I could play in the third division of Germany an I'm 70, so if we're using that as a yard stick where do I sign?

20 hours ago, DocMartin said:

I really don’t understand the desire to have Gibson back personally.

He is 29, so no sell on fee, he lacks pace, rarely scores at set pieces, often gets caught ball watching on set pieces, poor distribution, not a great ball carrier despite attempts to do so. If this were to happen, it would surely be Downing MKll, another Chairmans gift. Fairly sure Wilder’s system is not really suited to Ben, I think he operates better in a 4-2-3-1 system with midfield enforcers in front. 

I have posted a few negatives to illustrate why he is not a great choice in a Wilder system, not to suggest he isn’t a decent Championship defender in the right set up. I’d value him at about £3M-£4M right now. I’d sooner we got that Blackburn lad on a free and pay him the £20K a week he is allegedly seeking.

I don't understand why people don't want him back, he was literally our main center-back during the period in which the club had one of the best defenses in the country and set the best defensive record in the club's history with 22 clean sheets, and only conceding 31 goals.

Additionally, He's left-footed, which is what we are missing at center back. And I agree he's not the best ball carrier, but he's tidy with the ball at his feet and comfortable playing out.

Also, you say he's 29, but that doesn't mean what it used to be 20 years ago. turning 30 is no longer the end of a player's career. he has a good 3/4 seasons in him atleast.

Finally, no resale value is just a pointless argument IMO, if he comes in a gives us  3/4 good seasons then leaves on a free, I couldn't care less as long as he performs while hes with us.

Sure he hasn't quite done it in the prem (although he actually did quite well during our season in the prem), but as a championship-proven defender (who we have a realistic chance of getting), I can't think of much better.

Edited by tmcc
  • Like 1

That wide Centre back role is more suited to converted left backs or combatitive centre mids with engines than it is to more orthodox Centre backs. The Centre backs need to be mobile put up a lot of tackles, interceptions and offer a threat going forward.

Gibson is a sweeper who sits back, reads the game and plays the last line of defence. Reactive rather than proactive which lends itself well to the middle Centre back role. 

31 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Personally, I find it hard to believe that Norwich would be willing to sell him for a price we would be willing to pay. It also seems unlikely that he would be willing to take a 50% wage cut as I doubt we would be willing to commit to more than £20K per week

Norwich paid 8 million for him, he hasn't set the world alight for them in the prem so how much do you think they will ask realistically? 5/6 million? are we gonna get a better-proven championship level for less than 5 million? I'm unsure. 
Also, doubt he's on 40K anymore as I'm sure he will have had a relegation wage clause that will have massively slashed his wages (usually at least 25%).

Edited by tmcc
11 hours ago, Blanco said:

I don’t believe for a second that we couldn’t afford to sign Belly Ruddock

image.jpeg.798764e34032b576c8523d06fafeb470.jpeg

Oh good that's the Keeper sorted...Won't be much room either side to get the ball past

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Foogle said:

That wide Centre back role is more suited to converted left backs or combatitive centre mids with engines than it is to more orthodox Centre backs. The Centre backs need to be mobile put up a lot of tackles, interceptions and offer a threat going forward.

Gibson is a sweeper who sits back, reads the game and plays the last line of defence. Reactive rather than proactive which lends itself well to the middle Centre back role. 

Obviously it's not how his career went, but Gibson broke through as a left back, he actually played about 15 games in that position for us early in his career according to whoscored. Not saying that's his best position but our academy team and early on with mogga I think it would have been we obviously considered him to have some of the attributes to play that position 

• Like 1

Can already tell "attitude over ability" is going to be the quote that fans will use against the club this season if it's not going well.

Seen it used disparagingly towards multiple links already.

3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Can already tell "attitude over ability" is going to be the quote that fans will use against the club this season if it's not going well.

Seen it used disparagingly towards multiple links already.

It's smash the league all over again

Wonder if we could get Cauley Woodrow on the cheap

Off the back of a quiet season, out of contract next summer and Barnsley relegated 

15 hours ago, nunthorpered said:

Can't wait for clubs to hold us hostage on player fees once they see the tabloid figure for him  

can't imagine we will get more than 15m for him, and don't think that will change much with how much we pay for players

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?