oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

47 minutes ago, tmcc said:

I don't understand why people don't want him back, he was literally our main center-back during the period in which the club had one of the best defenses in the country and set the best defensive record in the club's history with 22 clean sheets, and only conceding 31 goals.

Additionally, He's left-footed, which is what we are missing at center back. And I agree he's not the best ball carrier, but he's tidy with the ball at his feet and comfortable playing out.

Also, you say he's 29, but that doesn't mean what it used to be 20 years ago. turning 30 is no longer the end of a player's career. he has a good 3/4 seasons in him atleast.

Finally, no resale value is just a pointless argument IMO, if he comes in a gives us  3/4 good seasons then leaves on a free, I couldn't care less as long as he performs while hes with us.

Sure he hasn't quite done it in the prem (although he actually did quite well during our season in the prem), but as a championship-proven defender (who we have a realistic chance of getting), I can't think of much better.

That was 7 years ago...he's not going to be the same player he was back then. Simple as that. Plus he was playing in a traditional flat back 4 then. Pretty sure we always played 4-2-3-1 under Karanka. We don't know if he can adapt to playing in a back 3 and the different abilities that will require from him.

5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Can already tell "attitude over ability" is going to be the quote that fans will use against the club this season if it's not going well.

Seen it used disparagingly towards multiple links already.

Attitude isn't much good without ability. It will get you so far, but without the quality / intelligence to open other teams up when attacking and defend in an organised manner, we won't get much further than we did this season.

• Like 2
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

12 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

It is free money as Gibson operates boro so he avoids tax on his other business. Gibson will always invest boro at a loss in the championship for this very reason and max the FFP limit 

no its not free money lol. 

would you think something was free money if you paid 100% of the costs for that item but then about 20% of the cost of that item was saved in tax you paid. Spending £10 million to save £2million in tax on profits does not really make things free money or that much sense, just sensible to pick up the saving on his tax but he still is pumping loads of money in every year and if you read the accounts you will see that's the case.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Will said:

What changed? We didn't sell anyone until the very end of the window and made plenty of signings before then, totalling far more in wages than Pelly Ruddock would've cost.

Seems far more believable that we just weren't close to being sanctioned.

we usually are right up to the limit that FFP allows us to be over our 3 year peroid. 

We just don't let it get into the zone where its a risk. but we defiantly had to off load players off the books for FFP to sign others, and we carried this on in january also

Just now, Rob said:

we usually are right up to the limit that FFP allows us to be over our 3 year peroid. 

We just don't let it get into the zone where its a risk. but we defiantly had to off load players off the books for FFP to sign others, and we carried this on in january also

The facts say otherwise in both cases, we have never been within £15m of the 3 season limit.

13 hours ago, Will said:

FFP calculations running all the way back to the PL season, if you can find a 3 season period where we get close to 39m in cumulative FFP losses I will stand corrected.

20220519_220634.jpg

20220519_220006.jpg

@Robsee here.

15/16 through 17/18 we posted FFP losses of £0m of an allowable £61m loss.

16/17 through 18/19 we posted FFP profits of £18m of an allowable £61m loss.

17/18 through 19/20 we posted FFP profits of £16m of an allowable £39m loss.

18/19 through 20/21 we posted FFP losses of £6m of an allowable £39m loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Can already tell "attitude over ability" is going to be the quote that fans will use against the club this season if it's not going well.

Seen it used disparagingly towards multiple links already.

You'll never have the ability to smash the league with that sort of attitude 🙄

• Haha 2

With regards to Ben Gibson I always a fan, but he hasn't had the best of times since leaving here. I have watched Gibson a few times this season and his been poor. I appreciate that the standard in the PL is way above the Championship, but its beenjust rank bad defending from Gibson.

I'm also a big believer in not having a former player back, they very rarely capture their previous form or do well, so for me with regard to Gibson we should move on from it. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Attitude isn't much good without ability. It will get you so far, but without the quality / intelligence to open other teams up when attacking and defend in an organised manner, we won't get much further than we did this season.

It's a misinterpretation of what he was saying though.

"We’ve already spoken to some good players about coming and there are some good targets that we’ve got too. We won't get them all, but I’ll do my best to attract some really good players - and players with good attitudes as well. Attitude over ability because the mentality of the group is key for me now. The culture of the football club is key for me now."

He's not saying he wants players with a good attitude, regardless of their ability.

He's clearly wanting quality brought in, but I presume he'd sooner have a good player with a good attitude than a great player with a bad attitude.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tmcc said:

I don't understand why people don't want him back, he was literally our main center-back during the period in which the club had one of the best defenses in the country and set the best defensive record in the club's history with 22 clean sheets, and only conceding 31 goals.

Additionally, He's left-footed, which is what we are missing at center back. And I agree he's not the best ball carrier, but he's tidy with the ball at his feet and comfortable playing out.

Also, you say he's 29, but that doesn't mean what it used to be 20 years ago. turning 30 is no longer the end of a player's career. he has a good 3/4 seasons in him atleast.

Finally, no resale value is just a pointless argument IMO, if he comes in a gives us  3/4 good seasons then leaves on a free, I couldn't care less as long as he performs while hes with us.

Sure he hasn't quite done it in the prem (although he actually did quite well during our season in the prem), but as a championship-proven defender (who we have a realistic chance of getting), I can't think of much better.

He is a good left footed traditional centre back within the championship, I have said as much in the original and subsequent post. However, we need players that will fit the system Wilder wants to play. I fully agree we need a left footed CB, but he needs to be someone that can play further forward like McNair and Dijksteel both can. In order to support the LWB and LCM. I accept Gibbo could play the middle CB role but then where does Fry go? If we sell Fry and bring Gibson in to play that role then yes he would be fine, but I would prefer to keep Fry unless a very big offer came in to enable spending elsewhere. In that scenario we would ideally need another LCB to play that overlapping role Wilder likes, just my opinion though and I understand and respect your opinion nonetheless.

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's a misinterpretation of what he was saying though.

"We’ve already spoken to some good players about coming and there are some good targets that we’ve got too. We won't get them all, but I’ll do my best to attract some really good players - and players with good attitudes as well. Attitude over ability because the mentality of the group is key for me now. The culture of the football club is key for me now."

He's not saying he wants players with a good attitude, regardless of their ability.

He's clearly wanting quality brought in, but I presume he'd sooner have a good player with a good attitude than a great player with a bad attitude.

I think most people read it as it was meant - I've only really seen people who want to take a dig at Wilder bring it up. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

That was 7 years ago...he's not going to be the same player he was back then. Simple as that.

Of course not. In all likelyhood he's going to be even better. Another promotion season and a full Prem season under his belt. More experienced, mature and going into his prime years as a defender. He knows very well what it takes and will have learned a lot more. Plus the two seasons at Burnley might have made him even more mentally strong. There is literally nothing to suggest that he is a worse player than the one who left 4 years ago. And at that time he was the best defender in the Championship. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Will said:

@Robsee here.

15/16 through 17/18 we posted FFP losses of £0m of an allowable £61m loss.

16/17 through 18/19 we posted FFP profits of £18m of an allowable £61m loss.

17/18 through 19/20 we posted FFP profits of £16m of an allowable £39m loss.

18/19 through 20/21 we posted FFP losses of £6m of an allowable £39m loss.

them 2020 and 2021 numbers dont look within ffp though

8 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Of course not. In all likelyhood he's going to be even better. Another promotion season and a full Prem season under his belt. More experienced, mature and going into his prime years as a defender. He knows very well what it takes and will have learned a lot more. Plus the two seasons at Burnley might have made him even more mentally strong. There is literally nothing to suggest that he is a worse player than the one who left 4 years ago. And at that time he was the best defender in the Championship. 

7 more years under his belt also takes its toll physically. Would he be able to cope with playing twice a week under Wilder? Even younger guys like Fry struggled.

Plus has he ever played in a back 3 before? If not does he have the intelligence / ability to adapt?

Players CAN get better with time in terms of experience...but we don't know if he HAS. There isn't much to suggest either way, but physically he isn't going to be better. Plus as I said before we don't know if he can play the way Wilder would want him to.

There are plenty of doubts and unknowns.

31 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think most people read it as it was meant - I've only really seen people who want to take a dig at Wilder bring it up. 

There was literally nothing in your post to indicate a specific way it should be taken. You didn't even mention Wilder. 🤷‍♂️

That said he does seem to place a lot of importance on attitude (as did Warnock). But we can only give him the benefit of the doubt and wait and see what kind of squad we have at the start of the season.

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

them 2020 and 2021 numbers dont look within ffp though

They were averaged for FFP purposes (as was standard across the EFL) due to Covid, and will be averaged for all calculations moving forwards. My statements remain true.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?