oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

23 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I heard something different but I'm not connected like others so it could be complete crap  He could have gone following relegation but we asked him to give us another year with the agreement that he could leave after that if we didn't go back up 🤷‍♂️ I don't think Burnley would have been his original choice of club however.

Yeah he wanted to stay in the PL but we convinced him to stay for a season in the Championship with the caveat he could leave if we failed to go straight back up.

It was Bamford who didn't want to leave and who we pretty much forced out of the club.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Blackburn confirm Rothwell is leaving and they in talks with Lenihan and Nyambe but no new deals agreed.

Luton in talks with Kai Naismith but again no new contract agreed.

Above are some players boro will hopefully be monitoring

Oh. And Blackburn also release Harry Chapman.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Borodane said:

No guarantees but I’d still take Ravanelli if he was in his prime. 

agreed. Let's sign Ravanelli, Juninho and Emerson all in their prime. I reckon we'd smash the league

6 hours ago, tmcc said:

if you go back 2 seasons before covid you get a better picture of fees that clubs pay for proven championship centre backs:

To be clear, I think if we could get Gibson for £2-3m and wages no more than £20K a week that he would be an excellent signing. 

I see no sign that Championship clubs are going back to anywhere near pre-Covid spending on transfers in the next year or two. Clubs with parachute payments or with a sudden influx of money may have a few million to spend but we are well past the era of spending £5m on a centre back in their late 20s/early 30s. 

According to Sportrac, Gibson was on £40K this year

image.png.d6baf66bfec7eaf4510423bc954e4135.png

There are reasons to be sceptical of round numbers like that but it seems to be about the going rate for a 1st teamer in a bottom end Premier league club. 

Our highest paid player seems to have been Howson on £25K with McNair next on £19k. (Sporar was reportedly on £31K). Looking at Salary Sport, I'm guessing we have around £100K in wages to play with based on loans ending and possible player sales. Darlow is reported to be on £25K/week at Newcastle and is unlikely to sign for anything under £20K.

Anyway, I think Gibson would be better in the LCB role than McNair but probably not £5m better. The one thing I will say though is that 28-32 is generally around the peak of a centre back's career. Ehiogu was 28 when we signed him and Southgate 31. If Gibson was able to get back to his best, he could have 2-3 really strong seasons ahead of him.

Getting Gibson makes sense as it would free up McNair to play in the CDM spot with Howson as rotation. 

Jones-Dijksteele-Fry-Gibson-Tav

Payero-McNair-McGree 

?? ?? 

Genuinely think Tav would slot in so well as a LWB instead of playing in the middle. I can remember the game where him and Jones absolutely slapped it on either side and I think they have the right amount of directness and drive to play there.

Id rather we then reinvest with free transfers and striker and keeper

Man Utd willing to sell left back Brandon Williams. He has spent a season on loan at Norwich but unlikely to return there.

I imagine Kieran Scott knows all about him. I not seen the lad play much. For those that have could he be an option for our LWB spot?

5 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Man Utd willing to sell left back Brandon Williams. He has spent a season on loan at Norwich but unlikely to return there.

I imagine Kieran Scott knows all about him. I not seen the lad play much. For those that have could he be an option for our LWB spot?

I'm not convinced. Lad might come good but our system struggles to accommodate a right-footed left centre-back, never mind a right-footed left-back. Think he'd be more likely as a Jones replacement, should one be needed.

4 hours ago, kentucky said:

If we sign Ben Gibson, then you can figure Steve Gibson is still making the signings.

Nothing changes

Not necessarily, I imagine Scott was heavily involved in taking him to Norwich.

I personally would love him back as its been mentioned he's a great leader, a very good defender at this level and also a great lad too.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Rob said:

no its not free money lol. 

would you think something was free money if you paid 100% of the costs for that item but then about 20% of the cost of that item was saved in tax you paid. Spending £10 million to save £2million in tax on profits does not really make things free money or that much sense, just sensible to pick up the saving on his tax but he still is pumping loads of money in every year and if you read the accounts you will see that's the case.

At one stage SG was putting 1m a MONTH into the club 

6 hours ago, kentucky said:

If we sign Ben Gibson, then you can figure Steve Gibson is still making the signings.

Nothing changes

As mentioned above, Scott has been involved in signing him before. He also fits into the players that want to be here, will run through walls etc that wilder has said he wants.. I'm all for signing him at the right price!

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?