oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

17 minutes ago, kentucky said:

Fraser Foster the most overrated keeper in the league, I've seen an elephant get down quicker.

Never really known anyone to get a major stiffy over Forster, either pundits or media.

He had 2 or 3 very good seasons several years ago and rightly got plaudits but dont think anyone over rates him.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

Sawyers would be a defensive midfielder.

You had any drips of information. I remember you calling McGree back in December weeks before anyone else knew anything about it and also knew that he ditched Celtic and came here instead when it looked like he was going there.

@CrazyL

Not much that hasn’t already been touched on. Darlow is progressing. Fact is that players contracts are not up until end of June, most are away on holiday, and personal terms are not yet being discussed. This holds for players we are looking to move out as well as in.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Bruce said:

To be clear, I think if we could get Gibson for £2-3m and wages no more than £20K a week that he would be an excellent signing. 

I see no sign that Championship clubs are going back to anywhere near pre-Covid spending on transfers in the next year or two. Clubs with parachute payments or with a sudden influx of money may have a few million to spend but we are well past the era of spending £5m on a centre back in their late 20s/early 30s. 

According to Sportrac, Gibson was on £40K this year

image.png.d6baf66bfec7eaf4510423bc954e4135.png

There are reasons to be sceptical of round numbers like that but it seems to be about the going rate for a 1st teamer in a bottom end Premier league club. 

Our highest paid player seems to have been Howson on £25K with McNair next on £19k. (Sporar was reportedly on £31K). Looking at Salary Sport, I'm guessing we have around £100K in wages to play with based on loans ending and possible player sales. Darlow is reported to be on £25K/week at Newcastle and is unlikely to sign for anything under £20K.

Anyway, I think Gibson would be better in the LCB role than McNair but probably not £5m better. The one thing I will say though is that 28-32 is generally around the peak of a centre back's career. Ehiogu was 28 when we signed him and Southgate 31. If Gibson was able to get back to his best, he could have 2-3 really strong seasons ahead of him.

my point wasnt that we are getting back to pre covid spending, i was pointing out that using last seasons championship spending as a metric for players values is wrong. Most clubs didnt sign players and if they did it was free transfers as they had no money to spend.

And i dont get the point you're trying to make by saying you dont see us going back to pre covid spending yet. Even if true, it dosent change the value of players, it affects the ability of clubs to purchase players.

also, the main point of my argument you've still not addressed, who are we getting thats a proven championship quality with prem experience and is under 30 for the 2/3 million that you suggest is the amount we should be paying for Gibson?

as iv shown in the transfers i shared in the other post, it just dosent happen, you dont get a gibson quality player for  less than 4/5 million. Even promising defenders from league 1 are going 2/3 million these days to championship clubs.

finally, you said  if Gibson  "was able to get back to his best", what makes you think his ability has dropped? He was one of the best championship defenders he was when he played for us and i don't see any evidence that his level has dropped below that. he was part of the promotion-winning Norwich side in 20/21 and played in the prem this season.

• Like 2

I can’t agree with your assessment of Ben. To me, he has regressed as a player- by quite an alarming amount. Without plenty of cover he is exposed as a defender who has and shows limitations and weaknesses.

Frankly I would prefer we look elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Wow 1
5 hours ago, Robin Johnson said:

I can’t agree with your assessment of Ben. To me, he has regressed as a player- by quite an alarming amount. Without plenty of cover he is exposed as a defender who has and shows limitations and weaknesses.

Do you watch as much of Gibson as you did Bolasie?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
6 hours ago, CrazyL said:

Not much that hasn’t already been touched on. Darlow is progressing. Fact is that players contracts are not up until end of June, most are away on holiday, and personal terms are not yet being discussed. This holds for players we are looking to move out as well as in.

Have you heard any names of our transfer targets or which players we're most likely to cash in on? The Gazette seem very keen on discussing Darlow and Lenihan so it seems that there's some substance there.

5 hours ago, Robin Johnson said:

considering the attitude and quickness to fault pick on posts that dont match thier view that a fair few of the more prolific posters on here, have. thats a bold statement and i admire you for stating your opinion, which in all fairness is quite an accurate assessment. 

if we get the Ben Gibson of the AK era ,then im not against resigning him but his form at the first half of this recent season was not a patch on that. add to that his wilderness years at burnley and the fee/wages ,well yep im in with the dont sign crowd. hes got most of the boxes ticked and tbh im not bothered wether hes more suited to a flat back four system, we could and most likely would do a lot worse in our choice.of alternatives.  personally i would take a gamble on ryan porteous from hbs , young(23), agressive, leader, brave and good in the air and with the ball on the ground, i say gamble purely because hes had off field issues and fall outs with management.

16 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

considering the attitude and quickness to fault pick on posts that dont match thier view that a fair few of the more prolific posters on here, have. thats a bold statement and i admire you for stating your opinion, which in all fairness is quite an accurate assessment. 

if we get the Ben Gibson of the AK era ,then im not against resigning him but his form at the first half of this recent season was not a patch on that. add to that his wilderness years at burnley and the fee/wages ,well yep im in with the dont sign crowd. hes got most of the boxes ticked and tbh im not bothered wether hes more suited to a flat back four system, we could and most likely would do a lot worse in our choice.of alternatives.  personally i would take a gamble on ryan porteous from hbs , young(23), agressive, leader, brave and good in the air and with the ball on the ground, i say gamble purely because hes had off field issues and fall outs with management.

2 goals in 26 games in Turkey demonstrates his goal scoring prowess, if this floats your boat  - fair enough. A resource who costs far more than his worth.

It’s going to be a hard transfer window and I think people may be expecting miracles. If we are to go up automatically we need to find an extra 20 or 18 points, a big, big ask. So the question would be, how much is the club willing to invest for a play off. To get up there we need to be out the blocks quickly and remain consistent and I don’t see that happening bedding in new players. The other question is how many quality players do we need and are they available, more likely, possibly not. 
Realistically if we do well in the transfer market I’ll settle for the playoffs. 

21 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

It’s going to be a hard transfer window and I think people may be expecting miracles. If we are to go up automatically we need to find an extra 20 or 18 points, a big, big ask. So the question would be, how much is the club willing to invest for a play off. To get up there we need to be out the blocks quickly and remain consistent and I don’t see that happening bedding in new players. The other question is how many quality players do we need and are they available, more likely, possibly not. 
Realistically if we do well in the transfer market I’ll settle for the playoffs. 

A retired Shay Given gives us 15 more points than a season with Lumley

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

Your outlook is so utterly miserable. Have you ever been positive a out Boro in your entire life?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Your outlook is so utterly miserable. Have you ever been positive a out Boro in your entire life?

Neverbefore what is it with you that compels you to over react and post personal derogatory comments when you don’t know me personally. When did do you make a personal judgment on my mentality. 

Was it simply personnel because only your views matter, are you publicly point scoring or is it superior complex as moderator you don’t feel I am worthy of a debate and therefore a dic k head or mentally unstable. 

How did you judge me unstable, depressed, by my previous posts, are you capable or professionally trained to pass judgment. Given your position do you understand the consequences of publicly challenging someone’s mentality. 

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?