oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

4 hours ago, Changing Times said:

If we are aiming for promotion, and Bournemouth feel he wasn't up to that for them, then why would he be up to it for us?  If it's a case of we think Bournemouth don't realise what they have there, and they are underrating him then fair enough I suppose.  But we don't need raw projects, we need people who are going to come in and be better than what we currently have.  We're trying to improve on a 7th place finish, not to make our way up from 17th.  I completely understand the need for squad depth but we seem to keep doing it from the bottom up rather than from the top down i.e. you replace current starters with better, and those players become your depth.  We buy less than we already have, and it ultimately that doesn't work.

looking at Kilkenny stats, he played the August games, disappeared from the team when the transfer window closed - presumably because Parker wanted to play his signings he had just made. He then came back into the team until Christmas, when there was an influx of new players. At beginning of January, they were top of the league, with Kilkenny having played most of the games, so he does seem to have contributed to their success.

Also, if they only want to loan him out, they must see something in him that makes them think he will worth keeping, as opposed to selling.

What you’ve said is all true. However, we haven’t got the money to spend that Bournemouth had last year, which means we aren’t going to be able to splash out on 4 or 5 players in January like they did. They also got Cantwell and Lowe at the end of the transfer window last August. On that basis, Kilkenny might not be a bad option as part of the 18 man match day squad.

• Like 2
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Embarrassing that our top 'forward' ended up with 8 championship goals and our top scorer was Crooks with 10.  Look at teams that went up automatically - look at the goals from individuals.  

Mitrovic scored the same goals as our top 7 scorers combined.  

Solanke scored 1 less than our top 4 combined.

If we are looking at automatic place - we have to find a goalscorer and supply them

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

Embarrassing that our top 'forward' ended up with 8 championship goals and our top scorer was Crooks with 10.  Look at teams that went up automatically - look at the goals from individuals.  

Mitrovic scored the same goals as our top 7 scorers combined.  

Solanke scored 1 less than our top 4 combined.

If we are looking at automatic place - we have to find a goalscorer and supply them

I'd say this is easier said than done.

Your 2 examples there both cost around about what out most used starting 11 cost combined, goalscorers cost money and unfortunately it's money that I don't think we have, maybe we can get lucky with an unknown gem like a Pukki but we will have to trust Scott and Co with that.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone we could get or afford that could realistically get us 20+ goals next season

• Like 1
Just now, mj south said:

I'd say this is easier said than done.

Your 2 examples there both cost around about what out most used starting 11 cost combined, goalscorers cost money and unfortunately it's money that I don't think we have, maybe we can get lucky with an unknown gem like a Pukki but we will have to trust Scott and Co with that.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone we could get or afford that could realistically get us 20+ goals next season

Fair point about their cost.   But some of the top ten didn't cost much

Weiman cost Bristol City 2m - 22 goals

Piroe cost Swansea 1m - 22 goals

Johnson for Forest was youth player - 16 goals

Riis for Preston - 1.3m - 16 goals

Adebayo for Luton - unknown but not much - 16 goals

• Like 1

I wouldn't be opposed to trying to poach some of the newly promoted team's players though

Fulham and Bournemouths squads are such a joke they have some very very good players who can't get a game

Joe Bryan, Nathaniel Chalobah and Rodrigo Muniz to name a few from Fulham that we could look to bring in on loan

• Like 2

There is every chance if we're looking at Stacey and Kilkenny that they are for the first team. In fact, if we were looking to spend any kind of serious money on them, I'd be willing to bet they would be for the first team. I don't think Wilder is going to want to hinder the ability to improve the likes of the keeper or forwards by signing backup centre-backs, or worse, midfielders.

I'm not worried about Bournemouth's perception of their talent in relation to the rest of their squad either. They have some very good midfielders especially, arguably already Prem level midfielders who they kept hold of.

I'm just bothered about what we think they can do for us. I remember when Adam Clayton came in as a decent midfielder but we made him better. That's part of the task for Wilder to do. And to be fair, he's the only manager I can think of in 5 years who made Jonny Howson look legitimately good so at least in midfield, I'm confident.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

100%. We don't need other teams' projects, unless they're kids for the U23. 

I

We are unlikely to

fill our squad with other teams proven players, in the age group that everyone seems to think we should be aiming for, for the sort of money that I believe we will have available. We will inevitably have some projects that hopefully Wilder can mold into good players like other successful teams have done.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, BoroSmoggie said:

To answer your first question, just because it hasn’t worked out (?) for him a Bmouth, doesn’t mean he could be a good signing for us. I haven’t actually seen him play so I have no idea how good he is, but it could be a case like Spence. One club doesn’t rate him, gets rid, and then said player flourishes at the new club. 

I agree, and that's why I said if we think we've seen something that they haven't then fair enough.  I think it would be a bit of a gamble if he was the only midfielder we brought in however.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Changing Times said:

If we are aiming for promotion, and Bournemouth feel he wasn't up to that for them, then why would he be up to it for us?  If it's a case of we think Bournemouth don't realise what they have there, and they are underrating him then fair enough I suppose.  But we don't need raw projects, we need people who are going to come in and be better than what we currently have.  We're trying to improve on a 7th place finish, not to make our way up from 17th.  I completely understand the need for squad depth but we seem to keep doing it from the bottom up rather than from the top down i.e. you replace current starters with better, and those players become your depth.  We buy less than we already have, and it ultimately that doesn't work.

Bournemouth have an embarrassment of riches. Just because they deem a player to be not good enough for them, it doesn’t mean that we should turn our noses up at them.

Mitrovic was deemed not good enough for Newcastle who were struggling at the bottom of the premier league at the time, he went to Fulham and has set a frankly ridiculous scoring record which could stand for decades.

We need to be realistic about incomings. I think we all accept that we need to bring in several players, and given how well Jonny played last season is it worth the amount it would cost to bring in a better player? We can’t afford to upgrade every single player in the squad so we need to prioritise imo.

3 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

looking at Kilkenny stats, he played the August games, disappeared from the team when the transfer window closed - presumably because Parker wanted to play his signings he had just made. He then came back into the team until Christmas, when there was an influx of new players. At beginning of January, they were top of the league, with Kilkenny having played most of the games, so he does seem to have contributed to their success.

Also, if they only want to loan him out, they must see something in him that makes them think he will worth keeping, as opposed to selling.

What you’ve said is all true. However, we haven’t got the money to spend that Bournemouth had last year, which means we aren’t going to be able to splash out on 4 or 5 players in January like they did. They also got Cantwell and Lowe at the end of the transfer window last August. On that basis, Kilkenny might not be a bad option as part of the 18 man match day squad.

Bournemouth didn't spend much last year, probably about the same as we did I think?

For some reason they clearly rated other people ahead of the lad.  Nothing wrong with that of course, and it doesn't need to be a reflection of his ability.  My issue would be if he was our sole midfield signing, then we'd be putting a lot of faith in someone who was taken out of the Bournemouth side for whatever reason.  At some point we need to be bringing in players who will replace those we already have otherwise we're just not improving.

7 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/middlesbrough-loan-exit-round-up-24049100

This article mentions we are releasing Ste Walker this summer. His release is no surprise but dont think club have confirmed his release.

Article again mentions figure of above £10m for Spence. Echo saying £20m. Hopefully somewhere in between.

Poor article that. 10 mill for Spence? Coulson a Teessider? Come on Craig Johns ffs 

1 minute ago, JTG said:

Bournemouth have an embarrassment of riches. Just because they deem a player to be not good enough for them, it doesn’t mean that we should turn our noses up at them.

Mitrovic was deemed not good enough for Newcastle who were struggling at the bottom of the premier league at the time, he went to Fulham and has set a frankly ridiculous scoring record which could stand for decades.

We need to be realistic about incomings. I think we all accept that we need to bring in several players, and given how well Jonny played last season is it worth the amount it would cost to bring in a better player? We can’t afford to upgrade every single player in the squad so we need to prioritise imo.

I don't think they do have an embarrassment of riches, which I suppose is another point I'm making.  Bournemouth weren't that good this season, they rarely impressed me when I saw them, and didn't impress me much at all against us.

Mitrovic has had a fantastic season at this level, but he still might not be good enough for Newcastle, I'm not really sure what argument you're making there?  He scored 3 goals for Fulham in the Premier League last season.  Either side of that he's scored 26 and 40 in the Championship.  All that proves is that he's more than good enough for this level, which is lower than where Newcastle aimed to be when they sold him.

I am realistic about incomings, I'm also realistic about our current players.  Howson was the worst of the three midfielders last season, and needs to be replaced in the side.  It shouldn't cost much at all to bring in a better player than him, he's not even our best midfielder let alone one of the top midfielders in the Championship, so replacing him really shouldn't be difficult.  If the club can't replace a bloke that wasn't that good to begin with when we signed him then what chance have they got of improving the rest of the team adequately enough to win promotion?  A GK, a midfielder, two strikers, left sided player.  Those are our priorities, that's where we need to upgrade in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think they do have an embarrassment of riches, which I suppose is another point I'm making.  Bournemouth weren't that good this season, they rarely impressed me when I saw them, and didn't impress me much at all against us.

Mitrovic has had a fantastic season at this level, but he still might not be good enough for Newcastle, I'm not really sure what argument you're making there?  He scored 3 goals for Fulham in the Premier League last season.  Either side of that he's scored 26 and 40 in the Championship.  All that proves is that he's more than good enough for this level, which is lower than where Newcastle aimed to be when they sold him.

I am realistic about incomings, I'm also realistic about our current players.  Howson was the worst of the three midfielders last season, and needs to be replaced in the side.  It shouldn't cost much at all to bring in a better player than him, he's not even our best midfielder let alone one of the top midfielders in the Championship, so replacing him really shouldn't be difficult.  If the club can't replace a bloke that wasn't that good to begin with when we signed him then what chance have they got of improving the rest of the team adequately enough to win promotion?  A GK, a midfielder, two strikers, left sided player.  Those are our priorities, that's where we need to upgrade in my opinion.

Kieran Maguire did a breakdown of each championship clubs 20/21 accounts when they were published earlier this year. Bournemouth’s average weekly wage was £27,500, ours was £12,500. They’ve managed to retain the vast majority of their squad since relegation with Danjuma being the only major outgoing.

My argument with Mitrovic was only to say that just because a player is surplus to requirements doesn’t mean they are not good enough.

I’m also shocked that you think Howson - our player of the season - should be easy to replace. Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but I personally wouldn’t be shelling out for another midfielder when I feel there are much more important positions to fill. Of course a lot depends on the budget we are working with, but I think we need two strikers, a left wing back (maybe even two), a right wing back, a centre back, and a goalkeeper. I just can’t see us filling each of these positions and getting another midfielder in.

I don’t even think in the grand scheme of things that our midfield was that much of an issue last season, it was an inability to score and leaking too many at the back that ultimately cost us.

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?