oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

5 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Apparently Clark is a big Rangers fans so it's highly possible that is where he ends up if they want him.

Per Glasgow Evening Times:-

RANGERS have kicked off their goalkeeper search by pinpointing Vladan Kovacevic as a possible transfer option, with Allan McGregor looking set to retire.

The 24-year-old Bosnia and Herzegovina international is currently plying his trade with Rakow in the Polish first-tier, Ekstraklasa. 

Rangers have already been linked with Schalke goalkeeper Martin Fraisl, West Brom’s Sam Johnstone and Dundee United’s Benjamin Siegrist as potential goalkeeping options. 

No mention of Clark there - although interesting to see them mentioned as interested in Johnstone.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Per Glasgow Evening Times:-

RANGERS have kicked off their goalkeeper search by pinpointing Vladan Kovacevic as a possible transfer option, with Allan McGregor looking set to retire.

The 24-year-old Bosnia and Herzegovina international is currently plying his trade with Rakow in the Polish first-tier, Ekstraklasa. 

Rangers have already been linked with Schalke goalkeeper Martin Fraisl, West Brom’s Sam Johnstone and Dundee United’s Benjamin Siegrist as potential goalkeeping options. 

No mention of Clark there - although interesting to see them mentioned as interested in Johnstone.

He was linked when Gerrard was there but it seems to have waned since the New Year, maybe we should be looking at Kovacevic ourselves?

Just seen that the northern echo have said that we are waiting till after the play off final to make a decision on spence. We haven’t spoke to anybody about him out of respect for Forest. With them being in the final on Sunday. Makes sense I guess 

1 minute ago, Guffie said:

Just seen that the northern echo have said that we are waiting till after the play off final to make a decision on spence. We haven’t spoke to anybody about him out of respect for Forest. With them being in the final on Sunday. Makes sense I guess 

Probably edging our bets that Forest may be willing to pay more to make sure they get him permanently.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Foogle said:

We desperately need a striker that can attack a header in both boxes, would help to solve a lot of our issues.

It's not exactly like you have to be a big slow grock either. Someone like Sporar at 6ft1 should've been much more capable in the air. 

Thinking back I am having great difficulty in remembering Sporar actually jumping at all, he was very good at pointing to where he wanted the ball though, world class in fact

23 minutes ago, pikerman said:

Thinking back I am having great difficulty in remembering Sporar actually jumping at all, he was very good at pointing to where he wanted the ball though, world class in fact

Almost as iconic as Fleming raising his hand to apologise after a error.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

On saves and anticipation you cant argue with his ability. Video doesn't show him dealing with any crosses or what he's like sweeping. One of the forums I read said those were his weaknesses!

Fully agree that those highlights show only a part of the significant duties required of a keeper in the style we play specifically, there was next to no evidence he commands his box aerially or indeed as a sweeper keeper (bar one pass out). However, I would take some issue with his shot stopping ability. He made some good reaction saves in so far as he stopped the ball entering the net from a shot or header, but I can’t recall a single one where he held onto the ball though, he parried every one, some into dangerous areas indeed. I am not suggesting that he should be holding onto all by any means, however, a few of those he should have held instead of a one handed parry all the time. 

I have no problem based on that were he to come as a backup and on a free, but as a No1, based on those highlights, I’d be very wary for the reasons outlined. I still would sooner have Iversen if a deal could be done for 1st choice.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, JTG said:

Mitrovic was deemed not good enough for Newcastle who were struggling at the bottom of the premier league at the time, he went to Fulham and has set a frankly ridiculous scoring record which could stand for decades.

Which record did he set? (Asking for a friend 👀)

• Like 2
12 hours ago, JTG said:

Kieran Maguire did a breakdown of each championship clubs 20/21 accounts when they were published earlier this year. Bournemouth’s average weekly wage was £27,500, ours was £12,500. They’ve managed to retain the vast majority of their squad since relegation with Danjuma being the only major outgoing.

My argument with Mitrovic was only to say that just because a player is surplus to requirements doesn’t mean they are not good enough.

I’m also shocked that you think Howson - our player of the season - should be easy to replace. Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but I personally wouldn’t be shelling out for another midfielder when I feel there are much more important positions to fill. Of course a lot depends on the budget we are working with, but I think we need two strikers, a left wing back (maybe even two), a right wing back, a centre back, and a goalkeeper. I just can’t see us filling each of these positions and getting another midfielder in.

I don’t even think in the grand scheme of things that our midfield was that much of an issue last season, it was an inability to score and leaking too many at the back that ultimately cost us.

I'm sure Bournemouth's wage bill is higher than ours, that tends to be the case when you've recently been in the Premier League.  Our wage bill a few seasons ago was a lot higher as well, it didn't make us a great team, same goes for Bournemouth.  Since relegation they've lost loads of players, I don't know why you think they only lost Danjuma?  They sold Ake, Wilson, Fraser, Ramsdale, Ibe, Gosling, King, Danjuma, Cook, Begovic, that come to mind immediately, and I bet there are more I'm not remembering.  They clearly have a better squad than us, I just don't think it's that good overall.

Mitrovic wasn't good enough though.  He was surplus to requirements in the Premier League, and so far he hasn't shown he's up to it at that level.  If he can't crack it this coming season after the one he's just had then he likely never will.  I'm not talking about people being surplus to requirements in the Premier League, I'm talking about players being surplus to requirements in the Championship, and then us signing them and hoping that they are better than they've looked to date.

Howson wasn't our player of the season, he was the player the fans voted for.  I think the players voted for someone else, and anyone with any sense would accept that he wasn't our best player this season.  Howson is in a fairly unique, and actually fantastic position, in that people don't seem to expect him to do much defensively while also not expecting him to do much in attack either.  I don't quite know what he gets judged on when you remove those two aspects of the game.  I suspect that if certain people see him running forward with the ball half a dozen times a game then they think he's played well.  He tackles less than the other two midfielders, he plays fewer key passes, he barely scores (6 goals in 5 seasons for a box to box midfielder is abysmal).  He had 5 total goal involvements last season, Tav had 10, Crooks 12. Our midfield gets walked all over in a game, like the last game of the season, but it's not Jonny's fault.  He has yet another ineffective game but it's not his fault.  Crooks goes off the boil for a few weeks and people want him out of the side.  Tavernier is rubbish and should be sold to Leeds in January.  Howson just rolls on, doing less than them but apparently having a much lower bar that he needs to reach in order to satisfy people.  I think we have a weakness through the middle of the park, which is exactly where he plays but it's somehow not his fault.  In fact I've been told it's not fair to blame him for that as he's not really a defensive midfielder in this system - what is he then, cos he doesn't contribute much going the other way.  Did he turn into Andrea Pirlo without me realising?

I agree that our biggest problem last season was a lack of goals, so two strikers needed as a minimum.  However, I think some of the goals we concede is down to the weakness in midfield that I mention above so we can improve that by improving there, hence I want a new midfielder.  Obviously a new goalkeeper is a must as well.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, RiversideRed said:

We've scrimped and saved in a position that's too important for years. A different keeper every season.

I'm not so sure that we have, mate.  I bet when you add it all up we've spent quite a bit on goalkeepers, including wages etc.  Just spent it badly that's all.

• Haha 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?