oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

1 minute ago, LBP said:

Gayle has at least 2 years left of being a championship bagsman imo

Gayle - Gyokeres is a dream come true 

+ Joao (or someone of similar price and standard) and we'd be well stocked.

No way Gayle is playing 40+ games... I think we need three good strikers to rotate for two places with Watmore and Coburn as back-up/late game subs. 

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

It all depends on the Gayle we are buying today rather than the one that we lusted over a few back. If he can get fit then keep reasonably fit and rediscover his former form then he could be the talismanic striker we desperately need but there are a few "if's" in all that. It's a gamble, we are pinning our hopes on him being hungry and desperate to get going again after a few years languishing in the shade.

If he can still do it then great as I doubt there is much better out there realistically within our grasp but Boro and Strikers don't often work out well. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cornishboroboy said:

As much as I'd like Gyokeres, I'm a bit concerned at Lurkers 'majority of Spence fee' comment.

Given that we're talking about ~£17m for Spence - and I know we won't be reinvesting all of that sum - but how much is a majority? Think I read a few pages ago anything north of £6m is too much, I agree.

"Large part of the fee" were the words used. I think that's pretty vague to be honest. I doubt we'll get a 23 yr old striker who's just scored 17? Goals for 6m though. I think it'll be more like 7.5-8m region, maybe with some promotion clauses or something. 

4 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

+ Joao (or someone of similar price and standard) and we'd be well stocked.

No way Gayle is playing 40+ games... I think we need three good strikers to rotate for two places with Watmore and Coburn as back-up/late game subs. 

Gayle, Joao and Watmore would certainly keep the Physio's busy at Rockliffe but between the three we might just get the equivalent of one prolific goals return collectively.

• Confused 1
8 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

"Large part of the fee" were the words used. I think that's pretty vague to be honest. I doubt we'll get a 23 yr old striker who's just scored 17? Goals for 6m though. I think it'll be more like 7.5-8m region, maybe with some promotion clauses or something. 

Wasn’t told a fee, they just said a large part. Could be miscommunication and they just meant a large fee for us but that’s what I was told. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It all depends on the Gayle we are buying today rather than the one that we lusted over a few back. If he can get fit then keep reasonably fit and rediscover his former form then he could be the talismanic striker we desperately need but there are a few "if's" in all that. It's a gamble, we are pinning our hopes on him being hungry and desperate to get going again after a few years languishing in the shade.

If he can still do it then great as I doubt there is much better out there realistically within our grasp but Boro and Strikers don't often work out well. 

True, but every player you sign in the championship is a risk whether it's because they've not played much football, age, cost etc etc. You can't buy a risk free player at this level without spending a fortune and that in itself is a risk!

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, cornishboroboy said:

As much as I'd like Gyokeres, I'm a bit concerned at Lurkers 'majority of Spence fee' comment.

Given that we're talking about ~£17m for Spence - and I know we won't be reinvesting all of that sum - but how much is a majority? Think I read a few pages ago anything north of £6m is too much, I agree.

I think you'll be looking somewhere in the 7-10m range personally, especially to a team they should be considering a direct rival. 

Hopefully on the cheaper end of that range, but wouldn't be terribly shocked to see it hit 9+ all told

• Like 2

It depends how much is upfront for Gyokeres. Hopefully, it’s clauses like £2m for promotion and we’re only paying £7m upfront or something but it could rise to £10m with add-ons.

I like him, he’s a young modern striker with potential but he has only had one season.

I imagine he’ll be cheaper than Piroe who I would also like to see how much he would be available for.

Hopefully we get Gayle wrapped up today or tomorrow. Then Spence gone by end of next week at the latest.

We need players in the door.

14 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

True, but every player you sign in the championship is a risk whether it's because they've not played much football, age, cost etc etc. You can't buy a risk free player at this level without spending a fortune and that in itself is a risk!

Signing or loaning footballers is a risk at all levels whether its a Pogba or a Payero. It's just the financial exposure which is different but it's all relative to the level of the Club whether Championship or Champions League. Getting it right is the hard bit.

13 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Exactly. Anyone who's young, been hitting 20+ plus for over two seasons, and has a clean bill of health won't be signing for us. Strikers we sign, realistically, are going to be one of the following:

- Out of favour at a better club 

- Young and relatively unproven, maybe had one good season 

- Proven record but lingering doubts over injury or age putting off bigger clubs

- Less than stellar goal record but potential to improve

I’ve got to say IF we get Gyokeres and Gayle I’d be feeling really good about next season. You pair them two with Coburn and Watmore and you’ve got yourself some really good options. Even if we bring another forward in it just means Coburn can go out on loan. 

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?