oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

Sounds like Lenihan might already be back off his holiday.  

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/20231750.middlesbrough-agree-deal-sign-ryan-giles-loan-wolves/

"MIDDLESBROUGH have completed the signing of wing-back Ryan Giles on a season-long loan from Wolves.

Giles’ signing should be quickly followed by confirmation of the capture of Darragh Lenihan, who is joining as a free agent following the end of his contract at Blackburn Rovers."

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/middlesbrough-complete-ryan-giles-loan-24306749

"Boro's second signing of the summer, he will soon be joined by a third. His former Blackburn Rovers team-mate Darragh Lenihan is close to completing his well-publicised move to Boro after leaving Rovers at the end of his contract earlier in the week. Lenihan turned down offers to stay at Ewood Park and has instead opted to join Wilder's side having previously turned down the chance to play under the Boro boss at Sheffield United.

Wilder is a long-time admirer of the Republic of Ireland international and only minor details now need finalising before he officially joins the club on a permanent deal."

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Going by the assists Giles made, we're going to have to improve in the box from crosses and set pieces. Judging by Gyokeres on Transfermarkt he scored one header last season. Crooks would be an obvious target, and Coburn when he gets the minutes, but I think it's an area we really have to work on.

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing some pinpoint Giles crosses being floated in... to absolutely no-one in the opposition penalty area.

Only kidding. Hope he has as much an impact on our left as Jones had on our right

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, T-CIDER said:

Going by the assists Giles made, we're going to have to improve in the box from crosses and set pieces. Judging by Gyokeres on Transfermarkt he scored one header last season. Crooks would be an obvious target, and Coburn when he gets the minutes, but I think it's an area we really have to work on.

Very very few goals are scored via headers, even from crosses. Look at how many assists Jones got by putting low crosses into the danger area that were put in by a free man (usually Crooks, who actually did score a couple headers from him as well).

Put balls in behind the defensive line towards the far post and good strikers will pounce. Heading ability is really neither here nor there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Very very few goals are scored via headers, even from crosses. Look at how many assists Jones got by putting low crosses into the danger area that were put in by a free man (usually Crooks, who actually did score a couple headers from him as well).

Put balls in behind the defensive line towards the far post and good strikers will pounce. Heading ability is really neither here nor there.

Yeah thats one option when it comes to crossing, but there comes a point when you need to mix it up or when the opposition are too easily reading the game plan. I was also going off the assists he made from last season..and a certain Aden Flint entertained a fair few of his crosses (now he's long out of a Boro shirt, he knows how to score again) 

1 hour ago, Smokedsalmon said:

That video of Giles assists showed 9 goals from his crosses. 6 were headers! You need a variety to keep defenders guessing. Either way you need strikers who are in tune with the wingbacks and can move to anticipate them. That was another thing we didn’t have las season.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, ScarBoro said:

That video of Giles assists showed 9 goals from his crosses. 6 were headers! You need a variety to keep defenders guessing. Either way you need strikers who are in tune with the wingbacks and can move to anticipate them. That was another thing we didn’t have las season.

Can see Crooks making a run into the box when Giles gets on the ball

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, definitely not much of a defender from various comments I've read.  Assuming Tavernier is still here then he will have his work cut out helping out on that left hand side.  If we end up selling Tavernier then McGree better get some extra defensive practice in.

I’ve seen quite a few Cardiff fans saying he’s very quick and that recovery pace got him out of trouble a lot of times, doesn’t sound too dissimilar to Jones in that respect.

I don’t think Jones is the most natural defender but it’s an area of his game that improved as the season went on. Dijksteel covered well for him and his pace let him get away with a lot of stuff.

Good thing with Giles is he likes to cross early. Gets it out of his feet and gets in, and with Jones on the opposite side willing to get past a man with good interplay with Dijksteel and crooks and put his good low crosses in we should be able to now have a variety of ways of attacking teams. Exciting to see who else we manage to bring in now.

3 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Brynns completed his move to Stockport. Dunno if it's been mentioned. I'm in the pub 🍻🍻

I assume the alcohol has kicked in mate? Haha. Its Swindon not Stockport.

Good move for him.

• Haha 2
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?