oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

It's a great little signing to bolster the squad for a year

He has 63 prem appearances in the 2 of the last 3 seasons, 50 of them starts 

Last time Wilder had him in the champ he had a 1 in 3 record

Maybe by spending nothing on McGoldrick for 3rd/4th choice it allows us to spend big on our 1st and 2nd choices

• Like 2
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

On Coburn I love how clinical he's been with the few chances he's had however if I'm being honest he didn't offer much outside of that and it's wishful thinking to see him as a regular player in what were hoping is a top 2/top 6 season in my opinion

For me I'd much rather get him to L1 for a season to triple his game time and then if we don't go up he's ready for us next season and if we do we send him to the champ for a year

3 hours ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

We got quoted £20-25m for a forward playing in the Championship recently, but we didn’t think that was a fair number”

Does this not imply they are no longer playing in the Championship?

would be happy with McGoldrick even if it was just to mentor Josh..  similar attributes and "been there and done it"..  much more preferable than a "project" from one of the franchises 

• Like 3

Over 100 pages to catch up on, God that was a rough ride!

If we get the Giles that was at Cardiff, he'll be a quality signing for us. Hope we have an option on him just in case things work out with him.

Lenihan on a free is a good bit of business in my eyes. Think he adds great competition for the back 3 spots, personally I think it's between him and Fry for the central spot.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Wherever it is, it needs to be somewhere Coburn gets to play regularly otherwise it's a waste of his and our time.

On McGoldrick, not really the path I'd like to see us take to be honest, and even more so if we're serious about signing Gayle.  That's two short term type signings, if the loan of Armstrong is legit then that's another one.  It's like pushing a fairly big problem down the road rather than fixing it now.  Gyokeres would be the exception to that of course. 

It just seems like a weird transfer window if our business is Roberts on a free, Lenihan on a free, Giles on loan, and then some combination of Armstrong on loan, Gayle on a free, McGoldrick on a free, and then Gyokeres.  Out of that you're looking at one player likely to be of serious use should we get promoted (I know a long way off) but it does all feel a touch short term.  It doesn't feel that much different to what we've been doing over the last few years, which to me has been trying to put together this promotion challenging squad without really thinking beyond that at all.  I could be being a bit harsh I suppose but I thought with a DoF in place we'd be a bit more long term.  I don't aspire for Boro to be like Norwich, and it feels like that's our template at the moment.  Hopefully my concerns are misplaced.

I think we should walk before we can run. All of those signings bar Mcgoldrick are very good players for a small initial outlay. If we do manage to go up I pretty much convinced Gibson would be more ambitious than the Norwich board but we need to actually get up and we will only do that quickly by signing players who can do a job straight away for us and are used to the league imo. I do get what your saying as far as we should be looking at players who we think can develop and become prem players but I think while there are the likes of Lenihan and Gayle available on frees and the fact we need bodies in this season I think they are good signings who will fit in with our system this season.

I wouldn't like to see us signing short term players for the next couple of seasons but given the turnover and a new manager this season I think it makes sense now to get the right players in for the here and now while they are available for free/loan. 

1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

McGoldrick is an upgrade on what we have

is he tho?  He was a fairly average championship striker with a fairly underwhelming goal-scoring record scoring over 8 goals only twice in the last 10 seasons. He has a good engine but he turns 35 next season so not sure if that's still one of his assets. Also, i dont think work rate is something we really lacked last season.

Apart from that,the only positives are that his best football came while playing under Wilder.

17 minutes ago, tmcc said:

is he tho?  He was a fairly average championship striker with a fairly underwhelming goal-scoring record scoring over 8 goals only twice in the last 10 seasons. He has a good engine but he turns 35 next season so not sure if that's still one of his assets. Also, i dont think work rate is something we really lacked last season.

Apart from that,the only positives are that his best football came while playing under Wilder.

Well seen as we had Connolly who was below average, I’d say that average was an upgrade. 

Plus in a dressing room I think he would be a solid presence with a winning mentality and leadership which we lacked last season. 

8 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Well seen as we had Connolly who was below average, I’d say that average was an upgrade. 

Plus in a dressing room I think he would be a solid presence with a winning mentality and leadership which we lacked last season. 

but we don't have Connelly. I assumed you were comparing him to Coburn and Watmore, i don't think he's an improvement on any of them tbh.

He would be a good experienced figure to have around akin to Bamba, but not too sure about his winning mentality being any more than the average footballer, he's certainly not a serial winner or anything

29 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Morgan Gibbs White maybe?

He isn’t a striker and there’s no way he’s playing in the Championship this season. 

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?