oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

DM reckons Jarred Branthwaite is going on loan and Sunderland, Sheffield United, PSV and us are interested.

34 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Would like greaves or Ben Davies at left centre back

I would love Branthwaite as our LCH

• Like 1

I'm quite happy with us supposedly being close to signing David McGoldrick. Unexciting signings are unfairly considered bad signings.  He's a perfect fit for Wilder and his system, provides much needed experience, is a physical presence and will be on a modest wage. It's the epitome of a low risk signing so it really doesn't warrant any extreme negativity. We've got to be sustainably run and don't have money to throw about at every signing so there was always going to be the sorts of unglamorous signings. As others have already said, it will help free up budget for us to bring in better 1st and 2nd choice strikers, so the positives to the team go beyond him.

McGoldrick being 34 year old doesn't concern me. If anything it's a positive as he's a wily striker that knows the Championship incredibly well. You only have to look at the experienced strikers that performed pretty well in the Championship last season, who would probably similarly considered in the same bracket as McGoldrick. There's 36 year old Billy Sharp who was by far the best performer with scoring a good amount of goals throughout the season, 34 year old Lewis Grabban who was great for Forest until his injury towards the end of the season and 32 year old Jordan Rhodes who missed a decent chunk of the season with a long-term injury but still got their vital goal in the play-off semi-final victory and against us in a vital promotion battle.

Signing McGoldrick will also allow us to loan Coburn out to get first-team experience in the Football League. He has tremendous potential as he's got the height, ability to find space in the box and is a great finisher, but it's his all round game that needs developed and that's only going to improve with regular first team football. Him sitting on the bench for the majority of the season isn't going to do him any favours.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The reaction to the McGoldrick link is very reminiscent of when we’d been linked to Rhodes and McCormack all summer and then signed David Nugent, who was at the time an unfashionable signing but was ultimately key to our promotion 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, tmcc said:

but we don't have Connelly. I assumed you were comparing him to Coburn and Watmore, i don't think he's an improvement on any of them tbh.

He would be a good experienced figure to have around akin to Bamba, but not too sure about his winning mentality being any more than the average footballer, he's certainly not a serial winner or anything

I agree that he’s not better than Watmore, probably just edges it with Coburn for me. But I think that it allows our strength in depth to be better than it was last season so I’m not against it if it was for a free. 

I would bring Coburn on before McGoldrick but I think Josh would benefit from a run out on loan with more minutes under his belt than to stay on the bench for us. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mfcdanny said:

Isn’t it the same situation with us with Spence and Jones? Both had a decent season but fans saying we shouldn’t accept anything less than 15 million. Coventry fans are basically doing the exact same thing but getting called deluded…. And I’d say strikers generally go for more than right backs do. 
that’s not me saying I’d pay that for him but just trying to look at it from a different perspective 

I don’t think the asking price for Spence is necessarily unreasonable when you factor in the level of the clubs that are interested. As others have stated he’s English, an u-21 international, has just been promoted and has been named in the championship TOTS. I also think he fits the mould of the modern right back / wing-back that a lot of teams are adopting.

With regards to Jones I agree that some fans have inflated his value but I think they’re looking at it under the assumption we’re selling Spence and therefore under no pressure to sell anyone else unless a huge offer comes in.

2 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Excitement appears to be a lot of fans sole barometer of whether a signing is considered good.

It’s always the case with some fans mate. Crooks was perfect example last summer. Turned out to be by far our best signing.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Excitement appears to be a lot of fans sole barometer of whether a signing is considered good.

Naaa I also consider weird stuff like long term planning. I don’t say it out loud though because it’s often frowned upon. 

• Like 2

For me it's about getting a team that can win us promotion THIS coming season ... 

Some others want a team of exciting  players that can play top six in the PL already

McGoldrick on the right terms would be sensible ... Would allow us to get two top strikers in ... 

3 minutes ago, Right footed Left winger said:

Just came across this

FB_IMG_1656157973374.jpg

except that with all the loans he didnt spend that much time in the city

17 hours ago, Leesider said:

Theres a question! Im not sure why we would sell any of them.   Tav if i had to choose.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?