oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

8 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

We got exactly what we bought with Britt. it was just fans expectation that he would suddenly become a 20+ goal a season striker which he never was.

We bought a striker with a better than 1 in 2 record in the division over two seasons. The only reason he failed to reach 20 goals for Forest was that he couldn't stay fit for a full season. He had 3 or 4 full seasons for us injury free where he was starting every game and he didn't live up to it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Thing is if you really want a proven goal scorer who’s at a semi decent age you’ll be paying upwards of £15-20mill. We obviously can’t do that.

The other option is to try and sign the next Gyokores or whoever it may be for £1-2mill, a far riskier option, and certainly more likely to fail. 

Gyokores is in the middle. He’s had a good season, and he’s a good age. 8-10mill is probably a fair market value for him at the moment. Mentioned earlier, that if he does have another good season with us his value would probably double. 

It’s a fine margin and we simply can’t say if it’s a good deal or bad deal until we see his numbers at the end of this season.

This. ☝️

Just now, TeaCider24 said:

Seems like the rumours of Burnley's financial troubles weren't true.

they have plenty of money, they just have to pay a fee back to MSD due to relegation. The Pope fee and the parachute payments are more than enough. The payback fee won't count towards FFP(or whatever the new one is called), a few top earners have left for free, and that helps with the wage budget. so they still have plenty of financial transfer clout

How good is Gyokeres? One of the best strikers in the league last season in a decent team. It was his breakout season. Whether he can build on that is the question.

Does he fit into our pattern of play? Coventry largely played some version of 3-5-2 possession-based football with Gyokeres one of the front two. He played 45 games, 3,600 minutes with a goal or assist every other game. His endurance and performance is exactly what we're looking for.

He doesn't seem to play in the manner of a Wilder forward. According to Whoscored, he's weak defensively and easy to knock off the ball and he likes to counter-attack. Whoscored is a bit erratic but he only picked up 1 yellow card in 45 games which does imply that he rarely gets stuck in.

image.png.57d360f1e18c59f777a2acf1551fc96b.png

How much is he worth? Coventry paid £1m for him and don't need to sell him. From our point of view, given the number of players we need to recruit, it's going to be difficult to spend more than  £5-8m on him without hampering the rest of our recruitment. Unless Gyokeres pushes for a move, I suspect that Coventry will hold out for a £10m+ bid. Thing is once we pay that kind of money, it only takes a slow start or a few minor niggles and suddenly he'll start to feel the pressure. He's never had a high pressure transfer and no one knows how he'll react to that.

21 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Seems like the rumours of Burnley's financial troubles weren't true.

There was no way Kompany was going to go there without being backed in the transfer window this summer. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BelgianBoro said:

Just skimmed through your post, CT. 
as usual a very well written text but I was wondering - the stakes are so high nowadays, couldn’t  you build a championship side and if you get relegated (after promotion) you build the premier league side with the parachute payments. 

Of course you could because all kinds of things are possible but how likely is it?  It's something that gets repeated so often that it almost seems like it must be a certainty to succeed but actually look at it, and how many teams are able to do this?  Look at the Premier League this past season, how many teams are there because of what you described above?  I could only really think of Burnley that get close to it, and really I don't believe the financial side of things was that important to them establishing themselves in the Premier League, not that they are in the Premier League now anyway.  Ignoring the bigger clubs, Wolves didn't, Brighton didn't, Leicester didn't, Leeds didn't, Southampton didn't, Newcastle didn't, Brentford didn't, Palace didn't, clearly Watford and Norwich haven't.  For that matter we didn't, the Mackems didn't, Cardiff, Swansea, Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Stoke, QPR all haven't.  A few years back it was West Brom who were the poster club for this sort of thing, it's not working for them at the moment.

Everything about the basic idea of it makes sense - if you have more money it makes you stronger, I totally get it.  But I've never really been one for believing that being relegated helps you get better somehow.  We certainly didn't, and if you look around very few clubs actually manage it. If you're a club like Norwich you've really just made yourselves good enough to win promotion but not good enough to stay there.  They get relegated but don't lose too many players not because of the finances but because those players aren't really that good, nobody wants them that much. The ones that are clearly good enough tend to get bought, the rest stay there, and Norwich remain the same level of team as a result.  The argument with them, and with other teams, is that eventually it will work out, they will establish themselves as a Premier League club, and it will have proven to be a successful way of doing things.  Could be the case but it's not right now.

I almost think that the stakes being high is part of the problem.  That clubs get so desperate to just get promoted, and get their hands on the money, that the how becomes unimportant.  To me the how is the important part, if you get that right then eventually you will be successful, which means to me thinking beyond building a good Championship side only.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Guffie said:

From what I’ve read. 18month loan deal with option to buy. But when he returns he will have 6 month on his current deal, so they will probably hold out to get him for free

We don't know the details so pointless being disappointed in them.

For all we know they are paying us £2.5m for the 18 months loan with an option to pay £0.5m for the last 6 months. Whilst picking up 80% of his wages. We might have effectively sold him for £3m in a structure that's suits them.

Unless you've seen otherwise?

Also don't forget, we don't know the exact financial details from when we bought him in the first place.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bosco's Tuft said:

We don't know the details so pointless being disappointed in them.

For all we know they are paying us £2.5m for the 18 months loan with an option to pay £0.5m for the last 6 months. Whilst picking up 80% of his wages. We might have effectively sold him for £3m in a structure that's suits them.

Unless you've seen otherwise?

Also don't forget, we don't know the exact financial details from when we bought him in the first place.

It would seem illogical to assume that a club now is paying more for Payero than they could have paid for him last summer.  Football is mental sometimes like but it would be odd if we weren't taking a hit on this, that's if it happens of course.

25 minutes ago, Bruce said:

How much is he worth? Coventry paid £1m for him and don't need to sell him.

I’m not too sure about that?

Over 2019/20 and 2020/21, they lost £8m. Admittedly with no gate receipts. That includes £5m profit on selling players though. So a total loss per year averaging £6.5m before player sales. Over those two seasons the only players that cost them money were Gyrokes snd Hamer - reportedly £2.7m in total, but only an element of that will be costed in accounts.

Those losses are fine if you a Gibson able and willing to fund those losses. With a lot of clubs though, they aim and need to break even and selling a player for a few million each year is  way they do it. CCFC ownership is a bit difficult to pin down as well it is noted as owned by Joy Seppola who is CEO of a hedge fund SISU but is pretty complex.

in short, if they haven’t got someone pumping money in, they probably do need to sell a good player each year, if only to fund buying then next £1m player to try to sell for multi millions later.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?