oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

No idea if that's legitimate, very few followers, but it's a link, primarily a left winger, he was on loan at Bournemouth last season.

where would he play?

LWB or 2nd striker?

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

where would he play?

LWB or 2nd striker?

I'd guess 2nd striker, unless we were shifting out Bola, but as above, doesn't sound like he's heading this way anyway.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

No, I understand optimism.  I'm more optimistic about Boro now than I have been for a few years, if only for the simple reason that we might have a good guy as our manager, and we definitely didn't over the past few seasons.  Being optimistic about every single thing that we do, or are linked with doing, feels more like delusion however.  As yet I don't see the long-term vision that's underpinning our recruitment.  A goalkeeper signed from League Two, and a central defender signed from the Championship don't suggest any particular plan to me - what do you think it shows?

I don't care about the name of the signings, it means nothing to me.  I judge every single one on the player that they are, and in some cases, the player that they seem most likely to become.  I didn't have a specific issue with signing David McGoldrick.  I had an issue with potentially signing him, Gayle, and Armstrong on loan, as that's three players that you are almost certainly having to replace next summer (McGoldrick and Armstrong), and in two years time (Gayle).  I don't see any long term plan behind that save for let's hope that we get promoted and get more money in.  If you add Giles to that, another loan signing, and Lenihan, who I just don't believe will be good enough for the Premier League, you're basically setting yourself up for having to replace most of your signings in the near future - again something I don't see any long term planning in.

You've convinced yourself that the way Norwich do things is brilliant.  You've said so often enough on here anyway.  Personally, I just don't see it.  They've singularly failed to get up and stay up, and frankly haven't really looked like doing so either.  It's almost like they haven't really tried to be a Premier League club at all, content to go up, get beaten most weeks, then come back down.  I don't see anything to aspire to in that.  We can all see clubs who have been able to earn promotion and stay up, it's not an impossible task but it's certainly made more difficult if you don't really give it a try like Norwich have done the last few years.

The way I look at things, which is obviously different to the way plenty of others look at them, is that the process of building a Premier League team/club begins before you ever get there.  There seem to be people on here who think that you get promotion first, then bring in another team, and then you stay up.  I don't believe that's the right way to go about it at all.  If you're aim is promotion then to me you shouldn't be signing a whole group of players that you know in your heart of hearts won't be part of your attempt to stay up the following season if you end up being successful.  You also shouldn't be building a really good Championship team either, which I know sounds backwards, but I'll try and explain what I mean.  I think some teams can be really good Championship teams, without having a hope in hell of ever being a competitive Premier League team.  Our team under Karanka was a really good Championship team, it could get results consistently at this level no problem but once it made the step up then the players who had been key for us - Leadbitter, Clayton, Friend, Ayala etc, were found wanting.  Neil Warnock was a master at putting those types of teams together, which is why he won plenty of promotions but couldn't keep a team in the top flight for more than one year.  Years back in the 97/98 season we lost out on the title to Forest.  But I always felt that we were the better team overall, and far more suited to the Premier League than they would be, they were just more suited to the that division than we were.  I don't want us to go down that path now because in the long run I don't think it works out all that well.

I've already said that I think our signings so far show they're underpinned by a long-term plan; Certainly with regard to a set formation, balance of left-footers and right-footers, focus on leadership and dressing room characters, relevant attributes for each position, and become far more efficient in the transfer market. We're one and a bit transfer window into a huge long-term rebuild, and it seems like we're trying to build a team fairly similar to Wilder's Sheffield United - though there will obviously be variations in there. After next summer's transfer window, we should start getting a good indication of how successful the squad build is actually going. I'm optimistic at the early signs under Scott and believe he's building the team in line with a long-term vision, and it isn't just bluster and sound bites like Gibson did previously. If that optimism makes me seem delusional, I'll take it. 

I agree that three strikers either on loan or one year deals doesn't suggest a long-term plan as we're just kicking the can down the road, so I really wouldn't be happy with that.

Yes I have previously cited Norwich as a good benchmark for us - Alongside the likes of Brentford, Burnley, Leicester & Brighton etc who are all similar size clubs to us, but have comprehensively outperformed us in the past decade simply due to being run professionally, unlike us. However, as I stated in the posts in the past two years that you're referring to, I don't think Norwich's approach of yo-yoing between the Premier League and Championship is perfect, just that it's a marked improvement on the shambolic way that Gibson has knee-jerked between opposing styles of play and managers.

I'd also ideally prefer we aimed to build a team in the Championship that's good enough to get promoted and able to keep up in the Premier League with just a few tweaks; Something along the lines of Brentford's model. However, they built that great team from incredibly solid foundations over several years, taking advantage of their undoubted superior scouting and recruitment processes by selling assets at high prices and buying great players well below their market value and providing them with an incredible culture to develop and perform in. While I'd like us to do that, I respect that is doesn't seem to be our plan - at least at the moment. Though, as both use 3-5-2 there's no barrier to us transitioning towards that in time. Hopefully once we've got a more quality and depth in our squad, developed our environment into one more conducive towards development, and our scouting and recruitment process are more established over time, we're open to taking the successful risks that Brentford have done incredibly well.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Watford are the new Fulham 🙈

That is our biggest challenge - getting good quality players to come in when they will have other suitors.  The relegated sides will often be more appealing as it is assumed they will have a more likely chance of going back up.  They are also likely to be able to offer better terms due to parachute payments.  

As a fan i want us to be the club a player chooses over others but in reality if three or four teams are in for a player then we aren’t going to get everyone we want

8 minutes ago, kentucky said:

Wilder will quit , during World Cup pause , due to too much interference from chairman and others , 

asks mr bean GIF

• Like 1

Rogers did nowt for Bournemouth then got sent back to City before the end of the season. A very odd loan for Bournemouth but also, perhaps this is a jump too far for him right now.

Not to mention that he always seemed to play as a winger for Bournemouth and we don't play with wingers. Seems a very odd and probably nothing link.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Rogers did nowt for Bournemouth then got sent back to City before the end of the season. A very odd loan for Bournemouth but also, perhaps this is a jump too far for him right now.

Not to mention that he always seemed to play as a winger for Bournemouth and we don't play with wingers. Seems a very odd and probably nothing link.

I'm pretty sure it's a fake account. I'm officially declaring it a stinky link.

New article from the Echo this morning. Reckons we’re looking to have made up to ten new signings by the end of the window.

Also promising to read that Wilder has been heavily involved in transfer discussions with Scott and Bausor and feels that everyone in the recruitment team is pulling in the same direction.

Other than that no new links, mentions Gayle and Gyokeres talks again which we all already know by now.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/20234358.middlesbrough-chris-wilder-spells-transfer-priorities/

• Like 2

Watching some of his interviews and his experience and philosophy, QPR might have got themselves a talented coach, they say he was the main reason Rangers success and Villas progress Gerrard basically said so.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?