oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

6 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Over these 5 seasons he's got an average xG prevented of -0.4 per season compared to the other keepers in his division at the time. So he's essentially slap bang average at shot stopping, compare that to Lumley's this season of -6 and it's a vast improvement.

Then on top of that he'll be conceding fewer goals as a sweeper with his better ability to run off his line as well as indirectly through better distribution: the more (and the better quality) of possession we have the less likely we are to concede and the more likely we are to score. Was sick of Lumley punting it long to a 5ft6 Striker or just straight out of play.

Think Daniels was more guilty of the latter to be honest, lumley had 53% pass success and Daniels had 46%. Not a lot between them, but lumley definitely had a better grasp of how wilder wanted us to play, just wasnt very good at it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

You're not helping, so both of you stop it. This sounds like talking to my kids😂

Your kids talking about spelling??? Mine just talk about Love Island and Holyoaks

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I don't think we loan two strikers - Armstrong and archer are the only two loan rumours aren't they? And I highly doubt we get both

Gayle possibly too. I'm not certain we're going to sign him on a permanent considering he's turning 33 in october and still has 2 years on a big contract. It would take a massive payoff from Newcastle to make it possible for us. I can see us paying big-ish for a permanent and then loaning two.

4 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Over these 5 seasons he's got an average xG prevented of -0.4 per season compared to the other keepers in his division at the time. So he's essentially slap bang average at shot stopping, compare that to Lumley's this season of -6 and it's a vast improvement.

Then on top of that he'll be conceding fewer goals as a sweeper with his better ability to run off his line as well as indirectly through better distribution: the more (and the better quality) of possession we have the less likely we are to concede and the more likely we are to score. Was sick of Lumley punting it long to a 5ft6 Striker or just straight out of play.

I’d argue being a bang average shot stopper in the prem is a good thing? No?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Think Daniels was more guilty of the latter to be honest, lumley had 53% pass success and Daniels had 46%. Not a lot between them, but lumley definitely had a better grasp of how wilder wanted us to play, just wanted very good at it.

True but I rated Daniels as the better shot stopper so I think you’re splitting hairs really. Neither were up to it if we’re being honest.

1 hour ago, DocMartin said:

I really do not understand fans creaming themselves over Zach Steffen. From all known information and that is not a lot, granted, He is an injury prone, error ridden, keeper that is a good shot stopper. The highlight video showed him to be a puncher, not a catcher (that worries me) If those were his good bits then we have a problem.  I was over the moon when we were window shopping for Henderson, Iversen, Heaton, christ Darlow even at a push but to settle for the American Joe Lumley tells me we have learned nothing. He may be an upgrade in theory, god i hope so, but that Liverpool game showed me what he is capable of, lest we forget. The reality will play out, for me he has a lot to prove in what is ultimately one of the most important positions on the pitch. We have been dire in goalkeeping department for years, since Schwarzer went (barring Randolph)

I am like a rabbit with myxomatosis right now, a very troubled and unhappy bunny.

Yeh I know mate I wasn't impressed with what I saw against Liverpool but I would have to see him over the course of 90 minutes over a few games live to gauge an opinion. I find alot of people don't actually know what makes a good keeper and that includes pundits. I remember alot of people on the boro forums saying Bettenelli was great the first few months of that season when to me he looked ropey as hell and the defence shielded him massively. Joe Hart was always reamed by pundits where in reality he was a very average goalkeeper playing in a very good side and always come unstuck in the games where City and England weren't the dominant side and he had a fair amount to do.

If we do sign Steffen I'll be hoping he can be a solid keeper and I'll be behind him until he gives me reason to think he's not but I can also understand people's reservations.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JTG said:

True but I rated Daniels as the better shot stopper so I think you’re splitting hairs really. Neither were up to it if we’re being honest.

Oh yeah absolutely. Daniels was a better shot stopper which was what we needed at the end of the season. But it also disrupted every other area of the team because we couldn't maintain possession. So I think it was the right call bringing him in for the end of the season, but also don't want to see him start another game for us. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Absolutely no chance of us spending that much on a striker so no chance of us signing the striker Wilder was referring to, for sure. I'm not convinced that was Gyokeres, though. I think even Coventry fans would be *** themselves laughing at that figure. 

Could have been Brereton Diaz to be fair, forgot they pushed the button on his year's extension. He's definitely had more public acknowledgement of his success, broke the 20 goals barrier despite only being available for 3/4 of the season. His transfermarkt value is close to £15m and that's usually the absolute bare minimum the club would sell for, if that. It's not a great way of judging a player's actual value to the club who owns him but if that's how the market values him then you could definitely add another £5-10m onto that price right now for Blackburn.

But if the Owners are being realistic, Blackburn probably aren’t going to get promotion. Losing Lenihan and Rothwell has weakened them a lot. I can’t see Diaz stopping after this season, so they lose him on a free next season, or cash in this year. No one in Premier League seems interested, so a fee of £15m to £20m seems pretty unlikely.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Think Daniels was more guilty of the latter to be honest, lumley had 53% pass success and Daniels had 46%. Not a lot between them, but lumley definitely had a better grasp of how wilder wanted us to play, just wanted very good at it.

Lumley definitely gave it a go, he does get ragged on for running off his line and missing the ball but I feel like that actually prevented a few goals even if it looked quite comical. He tried to play it a long the floor more as well like you said, but always looked a bit of a square peg for the role.

I think the issue is the keeper has to want to play with his feet, if you look at Ederson or Alisson they can't wait to get the ball again, whereas a player like Lloris who isn't a natural can't wait to get rid of it.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, ScarBoro said:

But if the Owners are being realistic, Blackburn probably aren’t going to get promotion. Losing Lenihan and Rothwell has weakened them a lot. I can’t see Diaz stopping after this season, so they lose him on a free next season, or cash in this year. No one in Premier League seems interested, so a fee of £15m to £20m seems pretty unlikely.

The injury he just had and just 1 year left on his contract certainly isn't going to help either. Can't see Blackburn getting more than 10 million plus add ons.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Gayle possibly too. I'm not certain we're going to sign him on a permanent considering he's turning 33 in october and still has 2 years on a big contract. It would take a massive payoff from Newcastle to make it possible for us. I can see us paying big-ish for a permanent and then loaning two.

If Newcastle don’t loan him out, then they have to pay his wages. If they loan him or sell him to Championship, they do at least get some of his wages paid, so from their point of view it maybe better to pay him off and get him off books totally.

If people are complaining about Steffen possibly signing after watching Joe lumley all season, there is no pleasing them. Steffen is a massive upgrade and will do brilliant with consistent games

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Borodane said:

So am I, but there is also talk about loaning two strikers and Choudhury. That's quite a few loans in key areas and all I'm saying is, that it needs to be taken into consideration, that it's short term solutions that pushes the decisions until next summer. The last time we went up we suffered partly because we had to sign too many players and they weren't good enough as it's still hard to find that quality. Forest have to do quite a lot of rebuilding too without being able to sell one or two players because the important ones were loans. So they have to replace Spence, Garner and Zinckenagel from the first 11 before they can think about upgrading on other positions. It's a tough ask and it's just something that needs to be planned carefully. 

What makes you worried that the club aren't being careful?

Also, if we bought instead of loaned it is probable they wouldn't be good enough for the Prem so would need upgrading anyway.

• Like 3
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?