oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

I like Gibson as a defender but I'm not sure he's all that great at bringing the ball out of defence to warrant spending a lot of money on him. If we were playing 4 at the back then I'd be happy going for him but if we want a CB that can step into midfield then you're probably better with someone like McNair in there. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

People turning down Gibson, lol. 

He is better than what we have in McNair, would allow McNair to move up to CDM and also has great passing for a LCB. Also loves the club and is a leader and is vocal too. 

Shame about the wages, but if he wanted it that much, he would reduce them I guess. 

A slight concern with the amount of loan players we would have though..

• Like 2

Mcnair isn't a CB tho he will be needed in central midfield. Jonny Howson plays better than mcnair at CB just bang him in there or any midfielder. 

It would be great to have 3 proper defenders to defend our box and let the midfielders worry about midfield. You don't need to be Stevie G to support the midfielders as an extra man just keep it simple. I mean there's actual midfielders making a very good living being 5 yard sideways pass merchants. Just be available behind the play to recieve the ball and lay it off allowing the more talented players to take up more advanced positions. Ben Gibson is more than good enough to do that imo. I don't think Wilder will go for him anyway so this is probably a pointless conversation unless we sell Fry.

57 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I like Gibson as a defender but I'm not sure he's all that great at bringing the ball out of defence to warrant spending a lot of money on him. If we were playing 4 at the back then I'd be happy going for him but if we want a CB that can step into midfield then you're probably better with someone like McNair in there. 

He was alright with the ball at his feet, it was his mobility that didn't quite suit us when Monk was here and he was getting dragged out to the left back area.

Of course, the centre back covering for him at that point would have been Clayton dropping in though, so very different to having a proper centre back available there.

30 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

He was alright with the ball at his feet, it was his mobility that didn't quite suit us when Monk was here and he was getting dragged out to the left back area.

Of course, the centre back covering for him at that point would have been Clayton dropping in though, so very different to having a proper centre back available there.

Yeah I agree he's fine with the ball at his feet in a centre back position where he has a bit of time to look up and see a pass, but as you say he's not the most mobile defender and I don't see him as the sort of player to step into midfield and sometimes even beyond the midfielders. When you get further up the pitch you suddenly find yourself in a lot tighter spaces and with less time. 

I'm not writing Gibson off as a player, as a centre back he's arguably as good as anyone at this level. I just think for the way we play I wouldn't throw a lot of money at him in fees/ loan fees/ wages. 

He would make us stronger defensively but I don't think it was our defence that cost us a playoff spot last season, we were absolutely inept in the final 3rd. Spend the money on players that can create and score goals for us as its a far bigger priority. If we can do that and afford Gibson then fine but if its one or the other then strengthen the top end of the pitch. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

How many teams play with the wide centre back system that we do? Us and Chelsea? Maybe one or two others. The vast majority of our targets for that role will be players who haven't played it, it'll be down to the scouts/wilder/knill to decide if a player coming in has the attributes to be trained that way - I'm not so sure about Gibson myself but what I do know is he's a very very solid defender and a very comfortable passer. And he's left footed. So it's not a bad start - I'll trust wilder if he thinks that he's the answer for that position. 

Plus with Giles not been the best defensively wilder might be thinking a more defensive lcb will help cover him better 

• Like 1

@scotty189 has anything not been a good shout for you this summer. Haha. I could suggest Chris Killen as a striking option and I reckon you would be up for it I think. Haha

In regards to Barbet. When I look at the LCB we been linked with. Davies, Greaves, Gibson,  Hause etc. Barbet would be way down on my list.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?