oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

23 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Nice to see we got a first signing, expect him to go on loan somewhere like but hope the lad has a bright future at the club and becomes a key player for us in the years to come  😁

I doubt he'll go out on loan, probably be a key member of the u23 squad.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Wilder talks about needing leaders amongst other things, lets see how Gibson ticks the boxes:

- Leader (on and off the pitch)

- Left footed CB

- 2 promotions from this league - knows what it takes

- Scott involved with taking him to Norwich

- Known quantity, little risk involved. 

You are bashing a quality player because he is from Boro and a former player. I'd like to think we've moved past the Hugill phase. 

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Agreed. The fee of roughly £6m that it would take to sign him can be better used IMO. He'll come back eventually but I hope it's with a year left on his contract so it's a much cheaper move or at the end of his Norwich contract. 

I'm not sure if he'd be physical enough for CCB, we've seen Fry get bullied too often. The lack of pace would be a concern too.

I think he's a bit more aggressive than Fry and unlikely to be bullied at Championship level but we can pick up similar for less so other than his Boro connections I'm not overly convinced that we should be seriously targeting him at the money it's likely going to take to bring him back North.

I doubt if Norwich would get anything remotely close to £6M for him but fair play to them if they do. Personally I'd rather we brought Darragh Lenihan in for free and for wages that are likely to be the same if not less than Gibson's leaving us with money to spend elsewhere on the squad. He's a Captain and a Leader with a WhoScored rating of 7.10 for the season.

With either Gibson or Lenihan I would only want them as the CB in the middle meaning that we move Fry on which is questionable if we are significantly improving other than with organisational and leadership qualities which for the position in question is perhaps highly desirable?

5 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

You are bashing a quality player because he is from Boro and a former player.

Not to mention he was an academy lad and we don't like them doing well beyond their original breakthrough into the team! 😄

• Haha 3
12 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Agreed. The fee of roughly £6m that it would take to sign him can be better used IMO. He'll come back eventually but I hope it's with a year left on his contract so it's a much cheaper move or at the end of his Norwich contract. 

I'm not sure if he'd be physical enough for CCB, we've seen Fry get bullied too often. The lack of pace would be a concern too.

I don't think Fry gets bullied all that much quite honestly.  It's something that get's said about the lad but if it was happening every week then we'd be nowhere near as defensively solid as we have been.  I don't think we looked better when he wasn't in the team so unless Bamba was also getting bullied then I think we'd have to say there's more to defending than just liking a scrap.  I do think he could do with adding some muscle though, his frame should support it, and it would give him extra strength to go up against the bigger strikers at this level, without losing too much in terms of mobility.  I reckon if he wants to reach the next level then he'll need to do that.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think he's a bit more aggressive than Fry and unlikely to be bullied at Championship level but we can pick up similar for less so other than his Boro connections I'm not overly convinced that we should be seriously targeting him at the money it's likely going to take to bring him back North.

I doubt if Norwich would get anything remotely close to £6M for him but fair play to them if they do. Personally I'd rather we brought Darragh Lenihan in for free and for wages that are likely to be the same if not less than Gibson's leaving us with money to spend elsewhere on the squad. He's a Captain and a Leader with a WhoScored rating of 7.10 for the season.

With either Gibson or Lenihan I would only want them as the CB in the middle meaning that we move Fry on which is questionable if we are significantly improving other than with organisational and leadership qualities which for the position in question is perhaps highly desirable?

Yeah. I think Norwich know we'll be the only team that would pay close to what they paid for him last summer.

Agree with you on Lenihan and regarding the middle CB position. A vocal, experienced leader in that position would be key to a solid backline. Fry will also command a hefty fee which we can use to invest into other positions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

The other week you pulled up the highlights of one game Karl Darlow played in 4-5 years ago as evidence to back up your opinion on him. I think the stats tell more accurate stories than that.

Correct, I did show a real in game example of one of his many errors that he can be capable of making. I could have pulled up more if i could have been bothered to search, but my boss might not have been too keen at the time. The trouble is the compilations that people do put together tend to be of the good things not the bad, so I would have needed much more employers time to put more together, but thanks for raising your point today in order to conflate the 2 separate concerns I expressed.

1 minute ago, DocMartin said:

Correct, I did show a real in game example of one of his many errors that he can be capable of making. I could have pulled up more if i could have been bothered to search, but my boss might not have been too keen at the time. The trouble is the compilations that people do put together tend to be of the good things not the bad, so I would have needed much more employers time to put more together, but thanks for raising your point today in order to conflate the 2 separate concerns I expressed.

Does your job really matter more than a detailed analysis of Karl Darlow?  Not much of a fan, are ya? 👎

• Haha 7
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Does your job really matter more than a detailed analysis of Karl Darlow?  Not much of a fan, are ya? 👎

I am not used to doing detailed player assessments, it was never necessary when Gary Gill was my boss

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
2 hours ago, DocMartin said:

The problem with stats are they can be misleading. They do not paint a clear, accurate picture. You can get a great pass completion by passing it around the back four and keeper, whilst getting nowhere fast, especially versus teams that sit in. You are not really comparing like for like systems, tactics, instructions given to players for me.

Stats absolutely can be misleading, when they back up what I have seen with my own eyes season in and season out though they are no longer misleading. 

6 minutes ago, Will said:

Stats absolutely can be misleading, when they back up what I have seen with my own eyes season in and season out though they are no longer misleading. 

The stats I use aren't misleading, but they are made up.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, DocMartin said:

The problem with stats are they can be misleading. They do not paint a clear, accurate picture. You can get a great pass completion by passing it around the back four and keeper, whilst getting nowhere fast, especially versus teams that sit in. You are not really comparing like for like systems, tactics, instructions given to players for me.

How many premier league teams are sitting in against Norwich then? His pass completion is also better than all of their other defenders so... Your point doesn't stand here

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

The stats I use aren't misleading, but they are made up.

We all knew that 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?