oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

4 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I think people will be disappointed if they think the Spence money (whatever it may be) will be splashed on new players. There's probably a plan in place for transfers that doesn't rely on that money being needed. It might help us get a few deals over the line though. 

Hopefully it's a different plan to the one we had last summer then.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

One thing generally Gibson can't be critised for is his financial backing.

With the amount of wage clearing we've done the last couple of years, plus a lot of likely big loan wages ending I think (or hope) we might be pleasently surprised at what we can pull off in the summer.

As someone just said, we spent a canny chunk on Payero with no major outgoings last summer. If we are getting in Spence money and possibly even another big sale I'd be surprised to see Gibson not back Wilder with as much as he's allowed to do.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Hopefully it's a different plan to the one we had last summer then.

Feels like last Summer was different people trying to implement separate plans... Hopefully everyone is on the same page this time. 

Was Scott 'officially' even here last Summer window? 

8 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Feels like last Summer was different people trying to implement separate plans... Hopefully everyone is on the same page this time. 

Don't believe he officially started till September.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I think he joined us at the beginning of September, so technically no, but there were rumours at the time he'd been advising us before that. If he was involved in transfers, it was probably in the margins - January was his first proper window. Not an auspicious start, but we can hope for better in the summer.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I think people will be disappointed if they think the Spence money (whatever it may be) will be splashed on new players. There's probably a plan in place for transfers that doesn't rely on that money being needed. It might help us get a few deals over the line though. 

FFP must be a factor - the combined 19/20 and 20/21 season average will still be in the calculation next season.

Subject to that, I can see Gibson spending though.  He hasn’t been afraid to back his managers - even if he’s appointed the wrong ones in the past. Either we keep Tavenier/Fry/Jones and we give it a real go for promotion next year before we do lose them, or we sell one or more, in which case the proceeds will allow us (and their loss will require us) to spend on quality replacements. 
I think a chunk of any available cash will be on Premier League loans though. That way we don’t have a long term liability. Look at Forest this year. Loans are a major part of their team - Spence/Garner/Zinkernagel and from January Davies have all been regulars and Lowe has played around 20games as well.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

None of the plans worked though did they?  So different plans or not, we didn't have one that was actually any good between them.

Some people reckon that Scott was making recommendations, I have no idea but just about all of our transfer activity this season (last summer and January), has been overwhelmingly a failure in my opinion.  By my count we've signed 17(!) players in that time - Lumley, Daniels, Peltier, Taylor, Bamba, Boyd-Munce, Crooks, McGree, Payero, Siliki, Ikpeazu, Sporar, Olusanya, Ameobi, Hernandez, Connolly, Balogun. 

Breaking down the signings, Crooks we can say has been a success, even if he's dropped of a bit the past couple of months.  Bamba has done a job for us but no more.  Same can be said of Peltier and Taylor.  I think they would be the closest players we have to 'successful signings', and I wouldn't regard any of those three as successful personally.  Lumley has now been replaced as our keeper, Daniels is looking ok but almost certainly won't be our first choice keeper next season.  Payero has obviously been injured so we don't really know what he can do yet in fairness.  McGree has looked ok but no more than that, although he seems willing to shoot so that's a start at least.  Siliki has been a complete waste of time.  Boyd-Munce is 'one for the future' but is older than Spence, the same age as Jones, and I think older or the same age as the lads we are releasing from the under 23's.  Ikpeazu has already gone out on loan.  Hernandez had his loan terminated.  Sporar has scored a few goals but clearly isn't worth what we're paying for him.  Connolly and Balogun are taking turns in not doing much.  Ameobi doesn't exist.  Olusanya is, well I don't even know what he is really, a 24 year old prospect I guess.  It's not been great business really.  If we're lucky then Payero and McGree come good, and that makes things look better overall.  I can't past the thought that Payero will be on his way out of here sooner rather than later though.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

FFP must be a factor - the combined 19/20 and 20/21 season average will still be in the calculation next season.

Subject to that, I can see Gibson spending though.  He hasn’t been afraid to back his managers - even if he’s appointed the wrong ones in the past. Either we keep Tavenier/Fry/Jones and we give it a real go for promotion next year before we do lose them, or we sell one or more, in which case the proceeds will allow us (and their loss will require us) to spend on quality replacements. 
I think a chunk of any available cash will be on Premier League loans though. That way we don’t have a long term liability. Look at Forest this year. Loans are a major part of their team - Spence/Garner/Zinkernagel and from January Davies have all been regulars and Lowe has played around 20games as well.

Yeah a few smart loans can definitely make the difference at this level. 

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

None of the plans worked though did they?  So different plans or not, we didn't have one that was actually any good between them.

Some people reckon that Scott was making recommendations, I have no idea but just about all of our transfer activity this season (last summer and January), has been overwhelmingly a failure in my opinion.  By my count we've signed 17(!) players in that time - Lumley, Daniels, Peltier, Taylor, Bamba, Boyd-Munce, Crooks, McGree, Payero, Siliki, Ikpeazu, Sporar, Olusanya, Ameobi, Hernandez, Connolly, Balogun. 

Breaking down the signings, Crooks we can say has been a success, even if he's dropped of a bit the past couple of months.  Bamba has done a job for us but no more.  Same can be said of Peltier and Taylor.  I think they would be the closest players we have to 'successful signings', and I wouldn't regard any of those three as successful personally.  Lumley has now been replaced as our keeper, Daniels is looking ok but almost certainly won't be our first choice keeper next season.  Payero has obviously been injured so we don't really know what he can do yet in fairness.  McGree has looked ok but no more than that, although he seems willing to shoot so that's a start at least.  Siliki has been a complete waste of time.  Boyd-Munce is 'one for the future' but is older than Spence, the same age as Jones, and I think older or the same age as the lads we are releasing from the under 23's.  Ikpeazu has already gone out on loan.  Hernandez had his loan terminated.  Sporar has scored a few goals but clearly isn't worth what we're paying for him.  Connolly and Balogun are taking turns in not doing much.  Ameobi doesn't exist.  Olusanya is, well I don't even know what he is really, a 24 year old prospect I guess.  It's not been great business really.  If we're lucky then Payero and McGree come good, and that makes things look better overall.  I can't past the thought that Payero will be on his way out of here sooner rather than later though.

True... History doesn't exactly point to us having an incredible window. But that's never stopped me hoping before!  

This has probably been one of our less disastrous couple of windows at this level - certainly not one of the most wasteful, anyway. At least most of the above are cheap or loans. 

4 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Payero is going nowhere, the club see him as an integral part of our future.

This is what I'm hoping & thinking. No way we spend nigh on 6m on him only to ship him off the following summer after a difficult year settling & with injuries. Not even we're that stupid surely.

Not so long ago people were saying the window where we signed Bola, Dijskteel and Browne was a disaster. 2 out of 3 of those are now key first 11 players. The sort of signings we make now take time. So I expect Payero, McGree and Boyd-Munce to have the same sort of return if things go well.

The summer window will be interesting. 3 or 4 first teamers and 4 or 5 potential stars would be good. Plus 3 or 4 loans I reckon. Most money will be spent in the first and last groups.

14 minutes ago, edinboro said:

Not so long ago people were saying the window where we signed Bola, Dijskteel and Browne was a disaster. 2 out of 3 of those are now key first 11 players. The sort of signings we make now take time. So I expect Payero, McGree and Boyd-Munce to have the same sort of return if things go well.

The summer window will be interesting. 3 or 4 first teamers and 4 or 5 potential stars would be good. Plus 3 or 4 loans I reckon. Most money will be spent in the first and last groups.

Bola has had one decent season out of three.  Dijksteel has done better but as a central defender rather than as a right back, still done well though so no complaints there.  Browne isn't at the club.  Stojanovic signed in the January as well, he's not at the club either.

29 minutes ago, Brunners said:

This is what I'm hoping & thinking. No way we spend nigh on 6m on him only to ship him off the following summer after a difficult year settling & with injuries. Not even we're that stupid surely.

It would be bad business, albeit the injuries are clearly mitigation cos he's never got going.  I think/hope he'll be here next season but then I wonder if that might be it.  We'll see I guess.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?