oneBoro Forum

Keeper for the run in/playoffs

Goalkeeper for the run in?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. A quick poll who would you guys pick as our Keeper for the run in /playoffs?

• Lumley
    • Daniels
    • Bryn

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I though Daniels seemed decent in the warmup shooting practice on Saturday seemed to save almost every shot. I know it was all our rubbish strikers shooting at him but still. 

Looks like 17.02% of us were right! Good performance by Daniels today and a clean sheet too 🙂

Better the devil you know, for me.

Brynn has not had a chance and couldn’t do any worse for me. Give him a go it won’t define our season in a bad way but maybe it could in a good way 

• Like 1

Lose to Bournemouth and I'd be giving Bryn till the end of the season, our season would likely be over and there's no chance that Lumley will be our keeper long term on this season's performances.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Lose to Bournemouth and I'd be giving Bryn till the end of the season, our season would likely be over and there's no chance that Lumley will be our keeper long term on this season's performances.

If we lose the next 2, I'd maybe consider it too. I'm not sure if it will be mathematically certain at that point but regardless of when it is, I'm not sure how Wilder will react with having nothing to play for in terms of player selection.

It would seem pertinent in the face of no playoffs left to fight for as to give chances to players who might be here next season or the seasons beyond over those who, in his view, definitely won't. I can't see a way he thinks Lumley will be here and, as another experienced keeper who can't get a game despite the best efforts of the incumbent, Daniels would seem to be in the same category.

• Like 1

Does anybody think there's a chance Hemming will be one of the keepers next season?  Possibly as our no 2, James as third keeper and Brynn back out on loan again?  He's doing really well at Kilmarnock apparently.

If the season was over I would definitely consider Brynn however due to the situation he would be walking into that is huge pressure and to expect him to handle it is a huge ask. 

Unfortunately I don't think we have a choice but to stick with Lumley until the summer or if the play offs is out of the question. That said the rest of the squad need to pull their finger out despite Lumleys error we should really be scoring several against the likes of Hull if we are serious about the playoffs.

Edited by smogsterking the Inspirati
  • Like 1

Just wondering how many people have seen Brynn play.

From what I can tell he did okay in the Scottish Championship which must be league 2 level.

He may become a good keeper he may already be one but I can’t say.

Its certainly been a surprise how little bench time he has had.

Better the devil you know than the devil you dont!
At least we know what to expect from Lumley, which is very little. On the plus side he's only going to be our number 2 at best next season.

1 hour ago, Hendrie_7 said:

Does anybody think there's a chance Hemming will be one of the keepers next season?  Possibly as our no 2, James as third keeper and Brynn back out on loan again?  He's doing really well at Kilmarnock apparently.

Hes definitely in with a chance. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid I don't share the devil-you-know ideology. Lumley has cost us so many unnecessary goals and points this season that my trust in him has expired. Critically, I think Wilder is of a similar mindset, hence his very unusual criticism at the weekend.

Brynn is young, which often contributes towards a sense of fearlessness. His introduction might reinstate some confidence into defenders who are probably bricking it about missing a tackle, in case the keeper behind them decides to go out and inspect the corner flags or gaze wistfully into the middle distance as the ball scoots past him - and then blame them for having the temerity to be in his field of vision.

If I had a pound for every time I've seen the words "Lumley" and "FFS" side-by-side on this forum this season, I'd probably be able to afford a small hatchback by now. I won't say Brynn couldn't be worse, but it seems unlikely when Lumley is letting shots go straight through his body. The play-offs are already a long shot, but why make the odds even longer by playing a keeper who some people on here (though not myself) have described as the worst they've ever seen?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I'm afraid I don't share the devil-you-know ideology. Lumley has cost us so many unnecessary goals and points this season that my trust in him has expired. Critically, I think Wilder is of a similar mindset, hence his very unusual criticism at the weekend.

Brynn is young, which often contributes towards a sense of fearlessness. His introduction might reinstate some confidence into defenders who are probably bricking it about missing a tackle, in case the keeper behind them decides to go out and inspect the corner flags or gaze wistfully into the middle distance as the ball scoots past him - and then blame them for having the temerity to be in his field of vision.

If I had a pound for every time I've seen the words "Lumley" and "FFS" side-by-side on this forum this season, I'd probably be able to afford a small hatchback by now. I won't say Brynn couldn't be worse, but it seems unlikely when Lumley is letting shots go straight through his body. The play-offs are already a long shot, but why make the odds even longer by playing a keeper who some people on here (though not myself) have described as the worst they've ever seen?

He's not even the worst keeper we've had in the last 2 seasons, by my measure.

I'm not sure why putting a keeper in who the manager has, so far, considered third best behind the current keeper would instil any confidence in the defence. It will be an unknown at best and that's where the 'devil-you-know' factor comes in. The defence at least knows what they're dealing with right now, put Brynn between the sticks and it's likely they'll have much less of a clue, regardless of training. And given that Lumley is involved in other ways in the game than just shot-stopping, that knowledge and understanding of what's there could be the only legitimate difference any of our keepers could make.

For what little it's worth in the grand scheme of things, Brynn doesn't even look the best of the two keepers who take place in the warm-ups so I'd put Daniels in over Brynn right now if anybody. But I just don't think there's a significant enough difference in any of our keepers that will make a positive difference to our run-in.