oneBoro Forum

Bournemouth V Boro 0-0

1 hour ago, White Band said:

Connolly's big problem is that the vast majority of our fans were prejudiced against him before he even kicked a ball for us.  None of our strikers are doing well because none of them are getting any service.  Yes, Coburn has come on as a sub and scored (I think he may actually have been assisted by a striker both times) but I think he would struggle with the same lack of service if played from the start and then fans would turn on him as well.  You could put Mitrovic in our current team instead of one of our current strikers, and even he would struggle to score. 

Spot on.

Our low-tempo, tepid, overly-cautious midfield play is what kills our ability to score goals, not our strikers.

When was the last time we scored a counter-attack? Be interested to see that. Feels like it takes us an age to progress the ball up the pitch.

• Like 3
  • Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought Daniels was spot on where it actually mattered, claimed almost every ball and kept it calm.

Just arrived in Bournemouth. sun’s out seen a couple of Boro shirts cutting about.  Looking forward to a good day and great result UTB

Hello everyone. I have some important information to share with you today. I AM THE FINAL MATCH DAY THREAD AUTHOR YOU WILL SEE THIS SEASON! THAT’S RIGHT, BORO ARE ABOUT TO GO ON A 9 GA

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Remind me what time they came on? When was the last time Sporar even started a game?

Connolly is starting every game regardless of how he performs, it's ridiculous to defend it when he's not doing the one thing we brought him in to do.

I'm sure you can look up the substitute timings if you care to.  Regardless, they had no involvement, same as Connolly.

I don't think he's any good - but none of our strikers were given anything to work with against Bournemouth.

2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Interesting point from yesterday.

I noticed a lot on here were saying they were struggling to differentiate the two teams, maybe undiagnosed colour-blindness?

I’m not colour blind and I found it difficult to distinguish between the two teams yesterday. I think the sun was at a funny angle as well which didn’t help. 

Maybe it was the TV Cameras at the funny angle 😃

• Like 1

Saw a really interesting graphic just now. 

Connolly, presumably under instruction, played very wide on the left. He actually took up the same position for us as Solanke did for Bournemouth and neither had much impact on the game. It looks like Bola, Tav and Connolly were incredibly congested while Watmore was very isolated up front.

Bournemouth focused their play down their left, possibly trying to pin Jones back. Howson spent most of the game passing back to McNair. Our defence was also very high up the pitch which surprised me because I had got the impression we had dropped back a bit. Look how far back Daniels was compared to Travers; there is an alarming amount of space between our defence and keeper.

It is easy and clearly justified to be critical of Connolly; despite pretty much standing next to Bola he was hardly involved but all of the forwards on both teams were semi-detached. It's just that Connolly was fully detached. Maybe that was the plan but, if so, that seems like an odd plan. 

The writer also says that we generally didn't press Bournemouth's central defenders which is true looking back at it. We had the occasional press but mostly sat off a bit and dared them to hit long balls in behind our defence. On paper it looks absolutely mad; we have 6 outfield players spending most of their time in the opponents' half. 

0_IMG_4133.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Blanco I had the exact same issue mate. Especially when the ball was in and around the box I could not see where the ball actually was. I was blaming Bournemouths stadium/the sun and the sky cameras for this. Basically blaming anything and everything.

32 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

@Blanco I had the exact same issue mate. Especially when the ball was in and around the box I could not see where the ball actually was. I was blaming Bournemouths stadium/the sun and the sky cameras for this. Basically blaming anything and everything.

Seems like we are two of a kind @TLF10 😂

3 hours ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Spot on.

Our low-tempo, tepid, overly-cautious midfield play is what kills our ability to score goals, not our strikers.

When was the last time we scored a counter-attack? Be interested to see that. Feels like it takes us an age to progress the ball up the pitch.

We scored at least 3 on the break against Peterborough 

3 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

We scored at least 3 on the break against Peterborough 

Doesn't that prove rather than disprove the point? "Against Peterborough" who have the worst defence in the Championship and who would have been cut adrift at Christmas if it wasn't for the points deductions of two sides down there with them.

To me it indicates that our attacking ability has been League One standard hence the problems that we are witnessing. I keep banging on about it but in almost isolation on here I said after the Peterborough game that beneath the euphoric veneer of those four goals against a crap side I wasn't impressed by what I saw from us and I'm even less impressed since then.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I noticed a lot on here were saying they were struggling to differentiate the two teams, maybe undiagnosed colour-blindness?

Fortunately I'm not Colour Blind but prior to the game I did raise it on here about our Green Kit being unsuitable due to the Red/Green issue a lot of people have. When the game kicked off the angle of the sun, the bright nature of it being a sunny day and Conference level Camera angles all contrived to make viewing extremely difficult. Apart from the up close angles I couldn't tell who was who during the game until the camera panned in. The fact that the game was dour to put it mildly didn't help either (even Stelling and Merse in the Sky Studio made jokes about how dire the match was).

12 hours ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Spot on.

Well said and I have banged on for a while how little Crooks, Jones and Howson are offering of late only Tav has been doing what he can. Have noticed though that no one is calling me out about it so perhaps many agree with my critisism.

And all of this respecting the opposition too much well screw that

12 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm not colour-blind - had an eye exam back in January - but I found it difficult to tell the teams apart at times. I don't think it helped that the sun was casting an orangey glow over the ground and in the lower camera angles everything looked more or less the same colour.

Sometimes I could only tell who was attacking by looking at the keepers - Daniels wore yellow and Travers wore green IIRC.

8 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Doesn't that prove rather than disprove the point? "Against Peterborough" who have the worst defence in the Championship and who would have been cut adrift at Christmas if it wasn't for the points deductions of two sides down there with them.

To me it indicates that our attacking ability has been League One standard hence the problems that we are witnessing. I keep banging on about it but in almost isolation on here I said after the Peterborough game that beneath the euphoric veneer of those four goals against a crap side I wasn't impressed by what I saw from us and I'm even less impressed since then.

Neither was I and neither have I been since for most of this year but I was just answering the question that was posed. We are by far more threatening on the break and our players suit that more than a possession based game. Sporar and Connolly are league one standard players so it would help if neither of them seen any minutes and we played the 2 of the 3 better forwards together which hasn't been the case at all.