• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scouting Report: Matt Crooks Scouting report completed. Boro V Huddersfield Town Monday 18th April Riverside Stadium Kick Off: 12:30pm (Live on Sky Sports Football)

I'm sure you'd be concerned if you asked your partner if they were cheating and/or leaving you and their response was "nobody knows what's around the corner for anybody, do they?"

I propose we call Connolly AC...since he seems to blow cold most of the time... 😁🥶  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

It was end of season performance for me, the commitment lacked in my opinion we were 2nd best all over the park.

I just didn't see it like that mate.  I think when you lose then lack of commitment always rears it's head.  We lost cos we couldn't attack, and dropped one real clanger at the back.  Then we lost our heads in the second half, which was weird actually but not a sign of a lack of commitment.  Maybe too much if anything, and pressure getting to people.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I just didn't see it like that mate.  I think when you lose then lack of commitment always rears it's head.  We lost cos we couldn't attack, and dropped one real clanger at the back.  Then we lost our heads in the second half, which was weird actually but not a sign of a lack of commitment.  Maybe too much if anything, and pressure getting to people.

Thought we were 2nd best in midfield all match Huddersfield midfield won nearly every challenge and 2nd half were very comfortable much like their defence.

2 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Thought we were 2nd best in midfield all match Huddersfield midfield won nearly every challenge and 2nd half were very comfortable much like their defence.

I don't think it was a lack of effort that lead to them looking comfortable though, we just couldn't get it right in the final third.  Either we'd do the wrong thing or we'd do the right thing but execute it poorly. If they'd been dominating midfield then we'd have never got the ball that far forward, and we actually had a lot of touches in their half, more than in our own half as it goes.  Both teams made and won roughly the same number of tackles, our midfield made and won more than their midfield, and the heat maps show that we had the majority of our possession about half way inside their half.  That's not representative of a team who are second best.  Huddersfield did have a fair amount of interceptions though, which is related to what I said about us poorly executing some of our attacking play.

Genuinely thought we were the better team until Bamba gave away that daft free kick, then they kept catching us on the break as we ineffectively chased the game.

Huddersfield fully deserved their win over the course of the whole match, but we've played better teams (on the day) this season.

• Like 1

In our last games we’ve always been done on the counter when we’ve had the lions share of the ball. We do nothing with it and have looked more in effective as each game has gone on. 

Arguably we have been in similar situations this season but have luckily been bailed out with Jones and a late Watmore goal. Now they’ve dried up it’s as you were in some respect. 

6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Genuinely thought we were the better team until Bamba gave away that daft free kick, then they kept catching us on the break as we ineffectively chased the game.

Huddersfield fully deserved their win over the course of the whole match, but we've played better teams (on the day) this season.

The daft back pass freekick or a different daft freekick? 🙂

If you look at the highlights they had a 35/40 yard shot over the bar, had the daft pass back freekick, and had two freekicks put into the area that resulted in one just over the bar, and the goal.  That's the entire first half.  We obviously didn't have it any better in terms of chances created but it's not like they were all over us, and opening us up at will.  This is what happens for their first goal:

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.bc20b3894b7f9d0826baba04b4c001bd.png

So Bamba has dropped behind the rest of them with their big defender but nobody at all is marking Rhodes.  Bamba realises the ball is going over him and tries to run back, which he doesn't do particularly gracefully, Rhodes just pops his header back to the now unmarked Sarr.  Easy goal.  I can't work out why Rhodes isn't marked although as you can see, Watmore is helpfully pointing it out 🙂

This is how it ends up just before it goes in:

Screenshot_4.png.3c2567b87829130f642ca69437826d14.png

They have four players ahead of all but two of our outfield players.  Dijksteel is on two of them by himself, Rhodes has gone beyond Bamba, and then Sarr is left alone.  Why are Bola and McNair on one player?  Why haven't our players dropped back with their players?  McGree is in the group but just stands still basically, so they have an extra man going in than we do anyway.

• Like 2

If that looks a bit familiar to anyone then yes it would do because:

Screenshot_3.thumb.png.abd7d7fb991b26c991572491f3ebf1ec.png

Almost exactly the same position, Bola and McNair again on one person, this time Mitrovic, and they both leave him and he scores.  McNair seemed to be trying to play offside on this goal though.

• Like 1

Would also help if we didn’t give away daft stupid free kicks on the edge of our box. We surely knew how effective  Huddersfield have been from free kicks this year, yet we kept on needlessly fouling there players. Shows a lack of in game intelligence and discipline.

And of course, as CT mentions above, the marking for both todays and Fulham’s goal was all over the place. 

Would also add we are completely ineffective at the other end at trying to get on the end of free kicks/corners. Ball usually goes straight to opposition defender compelled unchallenged. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Would also help if we didn’t give away daft stupid free kicks on the edge of our box. We surely knew how effective  Huddersfield have been from free kicks this year, yet we kept on needlessly fouling there players. Shows a lack of in game intelligence and discipline.

And of course, as CT mentions above, the marking for both todays and Fulham’s goal was all over the place. 

Would also add we are completely ineffective at the other end at trying to get on the end of free kicks/corners. Ball usually goes straight to opposition defender compelled unchallenged. 

Well yeah, that must be getting hammered home with the players you'd think.

Edit - regarding our freekicks (and corners), there seems to be a deliberate ploy to hit them long towards either Fry, when he's playing, or Bamba, for them to head it back across I assume.  Just seems a bit obvious when we do it, and we don't do it that well anyway.

6 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Well yeah, that must be getting hammered home with the players you'd think.

Edit - regarding our freekicks (and corners), there seems to be a deliberate ploy to hit them long towards either Fry, when he's playing, or Bamba, for them to head it back across I assume.  Just seems a bit obvious when we do it, and we don't do it that well anyway.

But if we keep repeating it then eventually an opposition Manager will think surely Boro won't try that one again and we will catch them unawares and score from it. Just another 60 or 70 attempts at it until it happens. Keep the faith!

Failing that we could always try one of our other set piece routines, far post, far post, far post, far post, nope, saw it here somewhere I could swear I did unless I was just imagining it...........................................let me get back to you on that one!

Besides that Jonny Wilkinsonesque build up looks super sexy and cute don't you think? It's definitely got a bit of a "look at me, this is my thing because I don't get to do those goal celebration things". Anyway the worms like it according to the head Groundsman.

7 hours ago, Changing Times said:

The daft back pass freekick or a different daft freekick? 🙂

If you look at the highlights they had a 35/40 yard shot over the bar, had the daft pass back freekick, and had two freekicks put into the area that resulted in one just over the bar, and the goal.  That's the entire first half.  We obviously didn't have it any better in terms of chances created but it's not like they were all over us, and opening us up at will.  This is what happens for their first goal:

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.bc20b3894b7f9d0826baba04b4c001bd.png

So Bamba has dropped behind the rest of them with their big defender but nobody at all is marking Rhodes.  Bamba realises the ball is going over him and tries to run back, which he doesn't do particularly gracefully, Rhodes just pops his header back to the now unmarked Sarr.  Easy goal.  I can't work out why Rhodes isn't marked although as you can see, Watmore is helpfully pointing it out 🙂

This is how it ends up just before it goes in:

Screenshot_4.png.3c2567b87829130f642ca69437826d14.png

They have four players ahead of all but two of our outfield players.  Dijksteel is on two of them by himself, Rhodes has gone beyond Bamba, and then Sarr is left alone.  Why are Bola and McNair on one player?  Why haven't our players dropped back with their players?  McGree is in the group but just stands still basically, so they have an extra man going in than we do anyway.

This is nicely laid out. I did hear Wilder say that there was only supposed to be two people in the wall but Daniels insisted on 3. If that's the case, then possibly we're a man down on the marking leaving Rhodes free. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Humpty said:

Feels a little harsh on Huddersfield that. I thought they were superb defensively and tactically had us wrapped around their finger. They executed their game plan perfectly by playing on the counter and making the most of their set pieces. It's not hugely difficult to nullify us at the minute but they ensured we were frustrated, particularly as a draw for them would've been a good result.

Common theme for beating Boro keep them out, ensure you score the first goal and in most circumstances you get to  win.

CT maybe right we did use up our quota of goals against Posh and all this hope that we will start scoring and needing o score 4 against Cardiff to take it into our own hands seems far fetched. After all top 6 was in our own hands for weeks now.

Sadly our usual Xmas/New Year slump was postponed to Easter this season

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bruce said:

This is nicely laid out. I did hear Wilder say that there was only supposed to be two people in the wall but Daniels insisted on 3. If that's the case, then possibly we're a man down on the marking leaving Rhodes free. 

A bit churlish of CW to load this onto Daniels. That should've been saved for the dressing room. Maybe looking for an excuse to recall Lumley.

11 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

i agree mate, we've beat better sides this season. but their manager said he is happy with his squad because he has 2 players for each position.

we have poor alternatives for every position which causes us to play the same team every week. i just think our defense and midfield have burned out. if both teams were fresh we'd beat them most times. but with their ability to rotate and out lack of backups we were fatigued and off the boil and they were the fresher hungrier team. 

• Like 1