oneBoro Forum

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

That could make sense yeah.  I did notice we had three and felt it was a bit excessive.  We still have 6 v 6 in the middle however, we just have people marking the same Huddersfield player, which leaves Rhodes free.  I don't know if it's significant or not but but those goals we conceded that I highlighted there had the opposition's striker running free, which is just bonkers to me.

Boro breakdown podcast did a good analysis of this. Basically some shocking organisation. Watmore is pointing at Rhodes being free but can't deal with it because he's the only one up the pitch. Bamba spots what's going to happen so starts dropping back but the delivery is too good and he ends up caught in no-man's land: trying to mark Saar and cover the cross to Rhodes at the same time but failing at both. We do outnumber them by 1 in the middle but with a third person in the wall rather than picking up a runner from deep, we are outnumbered out wide. It's a really simple free kick which is well executed but, watching it back, there is absolutely no way we should have made it that easy for them.

Later in the match, we get a free kick in the same position. They stick two in the wall and Tav takes a shot on the back of it. The Huddersfield keeper clearly bets on himself being able to cover everything but a god level shot with just two in the wall. That's the difference between a good keeper at the top of his game and Daniels, who did well, but has hardly played. 

So, Wilder is right about the wall but the underlying cause is having to replace a malfunctioning Joebot with a keeper who's not even played 20 championship matches in 12 years. He's worried about the quality of a shot but by reinforcing the wall he leaves us short elsewhere. 

Without Crooks, the only aerially dominant player we have is Bamba. McNair and Dijksteel won't win any headers but they can run interference to prevent a free header. Bamba was fantastic against Bournemouth but the Huddersfield match was just too much for him. The possible replacements, Wood and Hall, are so out of the picture that it's debatable whether they would have been better. All in all bad decisions from recruitment to team selection culminated in a bad decision to put a 3rd person on the wall. If the delivery hadn't been so good we would have got away with it. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scouting Report: Matt Crooks Scouting report completed. Boro V Huddersfield Town Monday 18th April Riverside Stadium Kick Off: 12:30pm (Live on Sky Sports Football)

I'm sure you'd be concerned if you asked your partner if they were cheating and/or leaving you and their response was "nobody knows what's around the corner for anybody, do they?"

I propose we call Connolly AC...since he seems to blow cold most of the time... 😁🥶  

Posted Images

22 hours ago, boro-unger said:

Wilders post match comments just sounded like he was annoyed about the game and didn't care about anything else. I'm not worried about him going after hearing them

not the first time he refuses to talk about anything else other than the match in the press conferences, feels like he always has a bit of contempt for the press with how they like to fish for him to say something they can use to create some news

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Rob said:

not the first time he refuses to talk about anything else other than the match in the press conferences, feels like he always has a bit of contempt for the press with how they like to fish for him to say something they can use to create some news

Well at least he's avoided creating some news this time.

• Haha 2