oneBoro Forum

Chris Wilder - All In?

Chris Wilder has said he is "all in" at Middlesbrough, but are you behind him after what's happened in the last week? Do you think he is still the right man to take this club forward?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Are ya behind Chris Wilder, mon?

• Yes, mon
    • Nah, blud

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your poll is missing an important option... undecided.  Ignoring this week, I have had two concerns for a while: 1) ability to motivate the team. We are getting too many games where our play

Chris Wilder has said he is "all in" at Middlesbrough, but are you behind him after what's happened in the last week? Do you think he is still the right man to take this club forward?

Don't worry your little head about it and ignore it then, petal

The press conference was interesting. He kept talking about his 'open relationship' (not sure if he realised what that normally means, but could have been a Freudian slip) with Steve Gibson and what might happen if the 'phone were to ring'. Why bring this up if you're totally focused on the job in hand? And he mentioned 'everything that has gone off recently' a couple of times - nothing had gone off, supposedly, apart from us not winning over Easter. So what was he talking about? Seems to me something happened this last week and that's why the whole backroom and the exec had a 3-hour meeting. I'm behind him for as long as he is manager, but I do wonder if he's still waiting for the phone to ring.

Edited by Brick_Tamland
  • Like 2

Right now, there's nobody better. And despite our awful recent performances, I think he can achieve more with judicious recruitment in the transfer window.

For me, three things need to happen to justify Wilder's continuing tenure into next season, but none of them should be beyond a manager of his supposed calibre:

1. Even if we miss out on the playoffs, we need to see a marked improvement in performances between now and the end of the season.

2. Better strikers join us in the summer transfer window.

3. We radically improve our dire midfield goal assists and creation stats. It's unacceptable that Jonny Howson has managed two assists in three seasons. Reading have a player who's managed 13 assists this season alone, and they're crap.

• Like 2

After his departure didn't SG say something along the lines of if Steve McClaren had come in to his Office and told him the grass was green he would have got up from his desk and went to the window to check.

Clearly he had formed an opinion on him that was less than great but still acquiesced to his wants whilst he was Manager because SG felt it was in the best interests of the Club. I doubt he would take to being held to ransom by anyone let alone his Manager unless he believed that for the time being it was in the best interests of the Club. If any such discussions have taken place then the threshold for success or failure will have been severely sharpened in SG's mind. 

• Like 1

Not going to worry nor concern myself over this as Mogga said it is what it is.

Out of our control totally and to be brutally honest all I want is to see is us compete with other clubs with conviction, whoever is in charge and not fade away at the wrong time.

Spirit and togetherness needs to come to the fore

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Right now, there's nobody better. And despite our awful recent performances, I think he can achieve more with judicious recruitment in the transfer window.

For me, three things need to happen to justify Wilder's continuing tenure into next season, but none of them should be beyond a manager of his supposed calibre:

1. Even if we miss out on the playoffs, we need to see a marked improvement in performances between now and the end of the season.

2. Better strikers join us in the summer transfer window.

3. We radically improve our dire midfield goal assists and creation stats. It's unacceptable that Jonny Howson has managed two assists in three seasons. Reading have a player who's managed 13 assists this season alone, and they're crap.

From Wilders comments yesterday:

"The boys have all done well, but it’s a cutthroat industry and we’ve all got different views and some difficult decisions to make in the summer to improve the group. The chairman knows how I roll and he’ll back me and do whatever he needs to do to get it looking as we all want it to look. We’re deep into that, deep into specifics of what we want - characteristics and positions - and we go from there.”

I take from that that some contracts may not be sentimentally renewed (Howson?) and indeed that there may even be some surprise outgoings, at least from some of our fans perspectives.

Our lack of goals lately is down to the the time it takes us to build an attack and pass the ball sideways and backwards waiting for that perfect moment that diminishes over time. Slick passing and through balls for Players to run onto in space doesn't seem to be something that fits Wilderball unless his charges are doing it all wrong and he is pulling his hair out over it. So I'm expecting that we will see a big change then over the last four games otherwise if we keep doing the same things then we know what results we will get (unless we are playing Peterborough of course).

Another major weakness is our set pieces, there aren't any set piece routines other than aim for the far post for Fry or Bamba to head back into the 6 yard box. How a modern Coach and his staff haven't been able to rehearse something with a few variations in 6 months I find baffling. Huddersfield use it as a major tactic with major gains, we use set pieces as just half ar5ed, can't be bothered inconveniences, give it to Tav, let him do his sexy shimmy before he sticks it to the far post and it goes out of play or easily read and defended against because that's all we do.

Add in the attacking "improvements" (whosevers idea or recommendation they were) in January and is it no bleedin wonder we aren't scoring goals. Let's hope come the Summer we see a recognition and acceptance of all that and many major "cutthroat" changes.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

From Wilders comments yesterday:

"The boys have all done well, but it’s a cutthroat industry and we’ve all got different views and some difficult decisions to make in the summer to improve the group. The chairman knows how I roll and he’ll back me and do whatever he needs to do to get it looking as we all want it to look. We’re deep into that, deep into specifics of what we want - characteristics and positions - and we go from there.”

I take from that that some contracts may not be sentimentally renewed (Howson?) and indeed that there may even be some surprise outgoings, at least from some of our fans perspectives.

Our lack of goals lately is down to the the time it takes us to build an attack and pass the ball sideways and backwards waiting for that perfect moment that diminishes over time. Slick passing and through balls for Players to run onto in space doesn't seem to be something that fits Wilderball unless his charges are doing it all wrong and he is pulling his hair out over it. So I'm expecting that we will see a big change then over the last four games otherwise if we keep doing the same things then we know what results we will get (unless we are playing Peterborough of course).

Another major weakness is our set pieces, there aren't any set piece routines other than aim for the far post for Fry or Bamba to head back into the 6 yard box. How a modern Coach and his staff haven't been able to rehearse something with a few variations in 6 months I find baffling. Huddersfield use it as a major tactic with major gains, we use set pieces as just half ar5ed, can't be bothered inconveniences, give it to Tav, let him do his sexy shimmy before he sticks it to the far post and it goes out of play or easily read and defended against because that's all we do.

Add in the attacking "improvements" (whosevers idea or recommendation they were) in January and is it no bleedin wonder we aren't scoring goals. Let's hope come the Summer we see a recognition and acceptance of all that and many major "cutthroat" changes.

Well said but have to disagree with your sexy shimmy from Tav it looks like a keep fit routine from a balerina who has aches in her legs😑 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

A daily Mail click bait posting. Creating a story with no substance. CW is going nowhere and never was. 

How is it click bait posting? There were numerous articles linking him to the Burnley job and plenty of discussion on here and social media. 

Just because he said he was never linked to the Burnley job doesn't mean it's true.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

I know it’s a forum and it’s great debate but can this thread just die.  He’s staying so let’s all move on.  Pretty please..

32 forum members have voted in the poll, let the discussion flow I say.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

How is it click bait posting? There were numerous articles linking him to the Burnley job and plenty of discussion on here and social media. 

Just because he said he was never linked to the Burnley job doesn't mean it's true.

The media make up stories normally include, could, would, possibly, circulated, led to believe, heard, expert, linked, rumoured. Led by refuses to deny / dispel = click bait..