Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Chris Wilder - All In?


Chris Wilder has said he is "all in" at Middlesbrough, but are you behind him after what's happened in the last week? Do you think he is still the right man to take this club forward?  

58 members have voted

  1. 1. Are ya behind Chris Wilder, mon?

    • Yes, mon
      51
    • Nah, blud
      7


Recommended Posts

Consistency is the key and we dont have it!

We have a team of players that when they play well they are 8's but when they dont they are 4's.  Due to the lack of real quality it seems as though if more than 2 of them have a bad game the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.  There just isnt the strength of character or quality within the squad to pick up the slack, this institutional failure is something that I am hoping that CW is trying to irradicate and I think that the last few games has Identified which, if any of players can handle the fight next season........

......Expect some big changes over the summer!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your poll is missing an important option... undecided.  Ignoring this week, I have had two concerns for a while: 1) ability to motivate the team. We are getting too many games where our play

Chris Wilder has said he is "all in" at Middlesbrough, but are you behind him after what's happened in the last week? Do you think he is still the right man to take this club forward?

Don't worry your little head about it and ignore it then, petal

2 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Some good points raised but in fairness under warnock and wilder and pulis before them we have bottled the big games at the end of the season that we needed to win. You just know that when we really need to win we will wilt under the pressure and not turn up. 

Under karanka we usually won those games or at least got something. I mean do you think we would win a playoff semi now like we did under karanka? I really don't. There's got to be something there because we have good players and when there's not much pressure earlier in the season they play alot better. Like I said 3 out of 4 seasons bottling the playoffs and 4 or 5 first team regulars who are the core of the team have been there for all 3 of those seasons.

Which ones have we bottled? The biggest game(s) since we were relegated were the playoff games v Villa. We were just outplayed by a better team and hamstrung by a manager that didn't want to attack. 

We've hit a bad patch this season due to teams working us out and us having very little creativity to overcome it. 

We didn't bottle it under Karanka in the playoff semi because we were a better team with better players than Brentford. Its that simple. 

Its the easy excuse from fans to say a team has bottled it or the players don't care, when thats rarely the case. Fans of every team tend to overrate their own players and then when they get beat we hear that they don't care or have no bottle.

I don't think a couple of experienced signings in the summer would be a bad thing but more than that I just think we need a few better players. 

I could pick a few players from our past teams that have supposedly bottled it, stick it this team and we'd walk the league. What about bringing Randolph, Ben Gibson, Traore and Bamford into this team? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Which ones have we bottled? The biggest game(s) since we were relegated were the playoff games v Villa. We were just outplayed by a better team and hamstrung by a manager that didn't want to attack. 

We've hit a bad patch this season due to teams working us out and us having very little creativity to overcome it. 

We didn't bottle it under Karanka in the playoff semi because we were a better team with better players than Brentford. Its that simple. 

Its the easy excuse from fans to say a team has bottled it or the players don't care, when thats rarely the case. Fans of every team tend to overrate their own players and then when they get beat we hear that they don't care or have no bottle.

I don't think a couple of experienced signings in the summer would be a bad thing but more than that I just think we need a few better players. 

I could pick a few players from our past teams that have supposedly bottled it, stick it this team and we'd walk the league. What about bringing Randolph, Ben Gibson, Traore and Bamford into this team? 

Hull and Huddersfield this year. 

Last year under warnock every time we got into the playoffs and needed a win to cement our place we lost. 

The 6 or 7 game spell under Pulis that cost us playoffs. 

You can say its form but the fact is it seems to be at the same point in recent seasons.

Luton and Huddersfield do not have better quality players than us. Neither did Barnsley last season. Its just they were consistent in their approach and performances coupled with the correct coaching. A decent part of being able to achieve those things comes down to mentality. Luton aren't in the top 6 because they have more quality and talented players than the rest of the league below them. 

I could be wrong but I'm just seeing a pattern and I'm wondering why it is that this is happening regularly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Hull and Huddersfield this year. 

Last year under warnock every time we got into the playoffs and needed a win to cement our place we lost. 

The 6 or 7 game spell under Pulis that cost us playoffs. 

You can say its form but the fact is it seems to be at the same point in recent seasons.

Luton and Huddersfield do not have better quality players than us. Neither did Barnsley last season. Its just they were consistent in their approach and performances coupled with the correct coaching. A decent part of being able to achieve those things comes down to mentality. Luton aren't in the top 6 because they have more quality and talented players than the rest of the league below them. 

I could be wrong but I'm just seeing a pattern and I'm wondering why it is that this is happening regularly.

Sometimes teams overperform because they are well coached and have a well drilled style, Luton seem to be one of those teams. We have no divine right to be above teams like that. 

As I said earlier in the thread we have been a poorly run club on and off the pitch for a few years so teams will outperform us. 

I remember our form nosediving after Christmas last year under Warnock, it was a slow decline after he was chopping and changing the team and we seemed to go away from what brought us some success earlier in the season. 

This season you could call the players a load of bottlers but its pure guesswork and it ignores some more obvious things. If we'd started the season with Wilder I'm sure we'd have more points than we have now, Lumley has cost us points with mistakes. We missed Jones after his recent illness and we're now missing Fry. Howson isn't getting any younger and he's running out of gas and teams have worked out how to stop our main attacking player. 

We were on top in the Hull game but just couldn't break down a well organised team in a game we massively missed Jones. Huddersfield was just awful. I don't understand where the pattern is between a so called bottle job now and a bottle job from 3 years ago. Who is still at the club from that era? Is Howson or Fry, are they infecting the club with negativity? Because the coaching staff and most of the other players have changed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2022 at 7:56 AM, Brick_Tamland said:

The press conference was interesting. He kept talking about his 'open relationship' (not sure if he realised what that normally means, but could have been a Freudian slip) with Steve Gibson and what might happen if the 'phone were to ring'. Why bring this up if you're totally focused on the job in hand? And he mentioned 'everything that has gone off recently' a couple of times - nothing had gone off, supposedly, apart from us not winning over Easter. So what was he talking about? Seems to me something happened this last week and that's why the whole backroom and the exec had a 3-hour meeting. I'm behind him for as long as he is manager, but I do wonder if he's still waiting for the phone to ring.

Pretty much my thoughts. I don't really care whether he is thumping his chest kissing the badge or pledging his entire career to the club etc, I want him to stay but I'd be over it in about 20 minutes if he left (as would be the case with almost any manager). I think he at least considered the Burnley job, but I don't hold it against him (some fans will, and that's life I'm afraid).

If results are good enough then he'll do for me. Sadly, results have been rubbish during April and we'll probably not make the play-offs now, can we improve on last season's 10th place? I certainly want to see how he does next season though, but I think he has to get us in the play-offs (and be in contention for them all season) to get fans fully back onside. The honeymoon period is definitely over now, but that will always be the case eventually.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Duvel said:

Sometimes teams overperform because they are well coached and have a well drilled style, Luton seem to be one of those teams. We have no divine right to be above teams like that. 

As I said earlier in the thread we have been a poorly run club on and off the pitch for a few years so teams will outperform us. 

I remember our form nosediving after Christmas last year under Warnock, it was a slow decline after he was chopping and changing the team and we seemed to go away from what brought us some success earlier in the season. 

This season you could call the players a load of bottlers but its pure guesswork and it ignores some more obvious things. If we'd started the season with Wilder I'm sure we'd have more points than we have now, Lumley has cost us points with mistakes. We missed Jones after his recent illness and we're now missing Fry. Howson isn't getting any younger and he's running out of gas and teams have worked out how to stop our main attacking player. 

We were on top in the Hull game but just couldn't break down a well organised team in a game we massively missed Jones. Huddersfield was just awful. I don't understand where the pattern is between a so called bottle job now and a bottle job from 3 years ago. Who is still at the club from that era? Is Howson or Fry, are they infecting the club with negativity? Because the coaching staff and most of the other players have changed. 

I suppose we will see next season as the 4 players could end up leaving. Actually I'd rather they didn't but if they do then it will be interesting to see how we get on. I definitely think in our best 11 there aren't enough leaders or players with a strong mentality trying to drag the rest through. You see it with Bamba but when he's not playing there's nothing really. We have a job next season to find not only better quality players but also influential ones. We defintely need a proper captain n all. Howson is a great pro but he's quiet on the pitch we need someone more like leadbitter in that sense imo. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...