oneBoro Forum

How many players do we need?

Although this season isn't over yet assuming we are in the championship, how many players do you realistically think we need to add.

Priorities seem to be

New GK

Left footed CB

Additional CB cover assuming Sol retires or if Pelts leaves 

RWB cover for Jones

Another CM as we have been short at times this season

3 or 4 strikers to match up with the 5 we've had this season.

Potentially another 9 players needed. 

Not factoring in if we don't agree contract extensions with those out of contract. 

A busy summer rebuild ahead for CW!

As a ball park figure I'd say 10, 5 perm and 5 loan and that's without losing any of 'our' first team players.

we need to do better in the loan market, these loans need to be virtually undropable, rather than squad fillers.

• Like 1

GK

RWB

Left footed CB x2

LWB

DM

Striker x3

I make that 9. I will assume for now Hall will be cover for Fry if Sol retires otherwise it will be 10

I think he has made his mind up on Uche but can Chuba work as part of a front 2 in our 3.5.2 formation? I am sure Chuba success abroad came as a result of being played as a front 2 and not as a lone striker which is how we used him.

Keeper

LCB + LWB 

CM - Replace Howson 

Atleast 2 strikers as we will be loosing 3 come the end of the season, and depending on what we will do with Watmore possibly will need a third striker. 

Then you get the loans to add competition to players like Jones

• Like 1

In

1st choice positions: keeper, centre midfielder, 2 strikers

Back-ups: Left Centre-back, Centre back, RWB, LWB, striker

new contracts: Howson

Out

End of contract/loans going back: Sporar, Connolly, Balogun, JLS, Bamba, Taylor, Peltier, 

Players we currently have out on loan to be sold or loaned back out again. Uche, Stojanovic, Akpom, Coulson, £££pence, 

Some of the incoming might see multiple roles being filled by the same player. E.g. if we get a new LCB then McNair might move into centre midfield and/or cover RWB and right-sided centre back. If Tav is retrained as a LWB then him and Bola might share that role. 

Surplus to requirement/sold if possible: Fisher, Ameobi, Olusanya, Walker, Hall, [Wood maybe], pretty much all of the current U23s out on loan.

shake it all about

That is a lot of churn. Aside from Coburn, I'm not seeing any sign of Wilder showing interest in the U23s. I think he maybe keeps 2 or 3 of them available in case of an injury crisis because they don't need to be registered. Gibson and Boyd Munce will probably need to make the grade next season or be moved on.

I said it a few months back it’s another massive rebuild job this summer.

I think two of the three goalkeepers currently on the books will be leaving (Stoj, Lumley or Daniels). The remaining one will be second choice behind a premier league loan - probably from City or Liverpool.

Coulson and Taylor will be gone and a new first choice LWB brought in. Bola will be competition. Or as a wild card Ameobi gets converted to LWB.

Hall, Bamba and Pelts will be gone with 2 cb’s brought in particularly a LCB or 2

Cover at RWB if Fischer isn’t fancied and Spence sold

Howson will be gone and two DM’s in. I think Crooks could be sold as well.

3 of the 5 strikers are leaving the club and hoped non return. We will need to see what happens with Akpom but realistically we will be looking for 3 or 4 strikers. I also expect Watmore to go.

Massive summer ahead.

43 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

I'll go 8.

First choice keeper - Karius

Lwb Cover

Rwb Cover

Cb cover

First choice Lcb - Gibson

Dm

Strikers x2 - that Coventry lad

Sorry but Karius is a calamity. He makes basic mistakes and that wont change just because he steps down a division. 

I can see us looking at Woodman at Newcastle on a season loan. Despite winning the golden glove twice at Swansea I think, they fans were not overly excited by him.

Rodak on loan from Fulham is a possibility if they get a new no1 for Premier league.

9 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Sorry but Karius is a calamity. He makes basic mistakes and that wont change just because he steps down a division. 

I can see us looking at Woodman at Newcastle on a season loan. Despite winning the golden glove twice at Swansea I think, they fans were not overly excited by him.

Rodak on loan from Fulham is a possibility if they get a new no1 for Premier league.

Rodak yes thought he was quality the last time they got promoted, then they dropped him for that psg keeper

9 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Rodak yes thought he was quality the last time they got promoted, then they dropped him for that psg keeper

Yeah. And he played a key role again in them again getting promoted. Reclaimed his spot as initially they signed Paolo Gazzaniga as they no.1 for this season. If Fulham again decide to go for a new PL no.1 I imagine he could be available.

This was my list from another thread:

2x GK

1x LWB

1x RWB

1x CB

1x ACM

2x ST

...while keeping our crown jewels (Tav, Jones, McNair et al). 

In terms of outgoings: Hall, JLS, Lumley, Connolly, Daniels, Taylor, Olusanya, Peltier, Ameobi, Balogun, Coulson and Sporar.

I'd make it nine new players needed to be in and around the first team. Perhaps a few cheap Peltier/Bamba/Taylor types to bulk out the squad too. 

GK: Daniels/ Brynn/ NEW GK

CB: Fry/ Dijk/ McNair/ NEW LCB/ NEW CB

WB: Jones/ Bola/ NEW LWB/ NEW RWB

CM: Howson/ Crooks/ Payero/ Tav/ McGree/ NEW CM (preferably a deep lying set piece taker)

ST: Coburn/ NEW ST/ NEW ST/ NEW ST