oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Cardiff 2-0 (Tavernier, McGree)

What a difference 3 weeks make or how times have changed since my last match day thread. I was anticipating at least a summer plus before needing to write another so thanks Boro. 

At my last match day thread we were in the reckoning for the play offs even a hint of catching Bournemouth with the buzz of possibly shocking Chelsea in the Cup. Then 3 weeks ago despite no longer being in the Cup we were in 5th place with a game in hand on rivals. To then the disaster of the last 3 weeks several losses including Hull and arguably a performance that would rival the play off final or Cardiff in the 08 quarter final against Huddersfield. Then add the speculation with Wilder. We truly Boro'd things up.

Although there were signs on Saturday we are creating chances again and on another day should have came home with 3 points. 

I think this has to be a convincing win against a team with nothing to play for. Hopefully it may put that little bit of pressure on Sheffield United that may see them slip up.

Talking points

1. Does anyone still think we can still make the play offs.

2. Which 2 will be drawn out the hat to make the forward line against Cardiff?

3. Will we ever get a player to score 20 in a season again?

4. Are we more of a threat of scoring from a goal kick or a corner kick?

5. What are your unpopular football opinions? One of mine is Roberto Carlos wasn't great at set pieces. 

• Like 7
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were 2-0 up and watmore was gassed and he wanted someone to do the same chasing and harrying job that he did for the last 10 mins. The sub made PERFECT sense to anyone not blinded by prejudice. 

A win is a win. At this stage of the season especially. Everyone was saying before the game they'd take a 1-0 win with a goal off someone's ***, so hard to believe the negativity on here! A comfortabl

Good result, another lack lustre performance though.  Embarrassing and cringeworthy from the fans who were booing Connolly. Honestly wow. Do us a favour and don’t turn up to the Stoke game 👍🏼 ***

Posted Images

1. Does anyone still think we can still make the play offs.

I do, but it's out of our hands now and anything but a win on Wednesday and I think it's finally over.

But if we win our next 2, we're guaranteed to be at least 7th and in with a shout on the final day.

I think it'll be unchanged, so Watmore and Connolly.

We lIve in hope, but I think it'll be a long while till it happens again.

They're both equally impotent for us.

5. What are your unpopular football opinions? One of mine is Roberto Carlos wasn't great at set pieces. 

I don't rate Eddie Howe.

Edited by TeaCider24

No, but I don't think we would win them even if we did, since the Chelsea Cup exit we seem to have lost all drive and belief.

Two out of eeny, meeny, miny mo

We'd only sell them if we did or if he even got close to it.

Definitely a Goal Kick if the wind is blowing in the right direction.

We shouldn't entertain Players with an off field Pantomime in tow, only dedicated focussed athletes, it's a very short career and dedication isn't too much to ask.

1. I do yes.

2. I been asking for this combo for weeks so by law of averages it surely has to happen soon. Coburn & Flo.

3. No but I will take 2 who can score 15 each.

4. Corner Kick. only just.

5. Whilst he was a good player, I don't get the massive fuss over Paul Scholes. Massive being the key word.

Nope. Too many bad results, too little confidence, at exactly the wrong time of season. It's gone, kids.

Let's guess Sporar and Watmore. It won't be Coburn, who's probably the one decent striker we possess. I really want Watmore to stay, but in a midfield role rather than becoming this decade's Stuani.

On a long enough timeline, yes. Given Chris Wilder's previous form for picking strikers, not during his tenure.

A goal kick. Corners either hit the first man or drift straight out of play. It's pointless awarding us set pieces at present, and for all people rave about Tav, his delivery is abysmal.

5. What are your unpopular football opinions?

This is really a Premier League issue rather than one affecting the Championship, but I always feel disappointed when a team lines up with only one or two domestic players in the starting XI. Arsenal were the originators of this phenomenon, but now it's quite common to see a largely foreign starting line-up ahead of a subs bench half-full of foreign players who are in contention for a substitute appearance, and half-full of British lads you've never heard of and who have Buckley's chance of getting on the pitch.

I couldn't give a toss about a player's ethnicity, but seeing mediocre foreigners routinely being picked over domestic players who are thereby denied a chance to demonstrate whether or not they're actually better is galling.

I do think play offs are pretty much gone, personally. We just look shot of confidence and to be brutally honest, lacking the quality needed in both boxes to be a serious play off contender. Even so, you'd hope we have enough to beat Cardiff at home. 

Have a feeling we win this and lose to Stoke, making the Preston game a dead rubber. Stoke are in quietly decent form, having beaten QPR, Blackburn, WBA, Millwall and Sheff Utd recently. They're only 3 points behind us. 

So yeah, think we'll drag it out for one more game but thoughts will turn to the Summer transfer window very soon indeed. Still feel we're in a better place than we've been for some time and there's every reason to look forward to next season.

• Like 1

1. I do yes.

2. Coburn & Connolly 

3. No chance.

4. Goal kick. For the opposition.

5. Pulis is the best manager we have had in the last decade.

• Haha 1

Yeah just about.  We need to win our remaining three games, which is certainly possible, albeit the idea of winning three in a row probably seems laughable to most right now.  We could do it though, and then we're just looking for Sheff Utd to either lose one or draw both, and it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up doing the latter.  Maybe we could get there with 2 wins and a draw but we'd need to win comfortably to increase our goal difference.  If you were asking for the likelihood of us making the play offs I'd put it at about 5% right now.

God knows, I suppose maybe even Wilder does as well.  I think he's just guessing now for want of a better word.  He's putting different people and combinations out there and hoping that one clicks.  I'm sure if you spoke to Wilder about it then he's say there is more thought to it than that but I dunno myself.  He's unwilling to change how we play, and the strikers seem unable to play it that effectively.

Yeah, I'd like to think so but they aren't at the club right now most likely.  Could Coburn become that player in time?  Maybe, as he has shown a knack for getting goals, but he's got a long way to go yet to get to that level, and will be given the opportunity to develop?  Not sure, but we'll see.

Corners obviously but we need to mix things up a bit.  I think a lot of what we do is either too obvious or just not well executed so these are things that we can improve ourselves.  

Most of my opinions are unpopular, football and otherwise.  It'd be harder finding some that are popular 🙂

Great video, but thanks for reminding me that "Our Tune" was once a thing on the radio and that I had to listen to it nearly every sodding day as a kid thanks to my mam...

We can, but it's not in our hands and we need to win all three remaining games so it's unlikely.

Balogun and Coburn. I don't want to see Watmore start but I would happily see him come on 2nd half.

Probably not any time soon.

4. Are we more of a threat of scoring from a goal kick or a corner kick?

Goal kick, our corners are absolutely dreadful.

5. What are your unpopular football opinions?

Chris Kamara's Street Soccer is a seriously underrated game

1.  I do yes. I think Lady Luck is going to be on our side and we will make it with 3 consecutive 2-0 wins and Sheff United to lose against QPR.

2. Not sure what Wilder will opt for but I think I would go with Coburn and Balogun for this one.

3. of course we will.

4. Corners as we never seem to score one on ones. Corners must improve though they are shocking at times 

5. Prime Benteke for Villa was an incredible watch and target man and I would take Benteke for villa over any version of Lukaku

9 hours ago, AllBoro10 said:

Benteke for Villa was an incredible watch and target man and I would take Benteke for villa over any version of Lukaku

Why would you even think about Benteke or Lukaku when we have Ikpeazu?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Why would you even think about Benteke or Lukaku when we have Ikpeazu?

I like Big Uche, think he’s probably best off elsewhere though. Think he’s a good player though and he does offer something to teams at this level 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, AllBoro10 said:

I like Big Uche, think he’s probably best off elsewhere though. Think he’s a good player though and he does offer something to teams at this level 

I think it's quite telling that he's been at Cardiff for 16 games and only started one, and he was subbed off at half time in that one.

I thought he'd do well there, but there's a reason he's barely getting a look in even when they're struggling badly as a side and he's scored a couple of winners in his time there.

I genuinely think it's a lack of stamina and the limited mobility, he's like an oil tanker despite being half decent with his feet.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

I think it's quite telling that he's been at Cardiff for 16 games and only started one, and he was subbed off at half time in that one.

I thought he'd do well there, but there's a reason he's barely getting a look in even when they're struggling badly as a side and he's scored a couple of winners in his time there.

I genuinely think it is the real lack of mobility, he's like an oil tanker.

Thought he would of started more as you say it’s obviously because he can’t run 

• Downsouth changed the title to Boro vs Cardiff 2-0 (Tavernier, McGree)