oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Cardiff 2-0 (Tavernier, McGree)

6 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

To be fair if you look at the average player positions, which I think is calculated using where the player touches the ball the most in relation to on pitch position, then Tav is right alongside the strikers. 

Screenshot_20220428-174208_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4c5532ca9095c3b4e36f17c37213205c.jpg

I think that's more to do with the fact that Tavernier is naturally all over the park when he plays.  If you look at his touch map it's not concentrated there, it's actually more concentrated in other places on the pitch, but because he gets forward, and he also gets forward on the right hand side as well as the left, and middle, it puts the average closer to the centre than he really is.  He seems to be more over on the left, and McGree is over on the right, except for when they switched over of course.  McGree is hardly central at all really.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were 2-0 up and watmore was gassed and he wanted someone to do the same chasing and harrying job that he did for the last 10 mins. The sub made PERFECT sense to anyone not blinded by prejudice. 

A win is a win. At this stage of the season especially. Everyone was saying before the game they'd take a 1-0 win with a goal off someone's ***, so hard to believe the negativity on here! A comfortabl

Good result, another lack lustre performance though.  Embarrassing and cringeworthy from the fans who were booing Connolly. Honestly wow. Do us a favour and don’t turn up to the Stoke game 👍🏼 ***

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Just for context this is Tav's average position from the last home game vs Huddersfield. It's not a huge difference, and the position could be skewed for all manor of reasons, but at face value it is different.

Screenshot_20220428-174856_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7b0951b563f10d025538faf239fd1436.jpg

Bola's and McGree's are also more central here though.  Just seems like we played more centrally in this game.  Last night we attacked more down the left hand side than the right, and by a decent margin.  That would see Tavernier involved more further forward I reckon?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Well I'd say you're more open going from a flat midfield 3 to one sitting with two more advanced? I'm with you in that I didn't see any changes in the way that we usually play. I just can't get my head around why he'd use the term 'diamond' if he was just referring to 3 players which is why my thinking is that the 4th player is a striker that was playing deeper. I can't think of a reason why Wilder would just outright lie about something like a formation change.

But you've also got a deeper forward than you usually have so I would say it balances out in that respect?  I did think that Howson was playing a bit deeper than the other two last night but it just seemed to be that they were both in front of him rather than McGree being next to Howson, with Tavernier in front of them both.  Funny really.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think that's more to do with the fact that Tavernier is naturally all over the park when he plays.  If you look at his touch map it's not concentrated there, it's actually more concentrated in other places on the pitch, but because he gets forward, and he also gets forward on the right hand side as well as the left, and middle, it puts the average closer to the centre than he really is.  He seems to be more over on the left, and McGree is over on the right, except for when they switched over of course.  McGree is hardly central at all really.

I'd agree with all of that, certainly to the eye watching the game yesterday it didn't look like he was behind the two strikers centrally. As you say the average of his touches all over the pitch probably do end up "averaging" him somewhere in the middle.

For what its worth

Daniels - 6

Dijk - 7

Bamba - 7

Mcnair - 6

Bola - 6

Jones - 5

Howson - 7

Mcgree - 6

Tav  - 7

Watmore - 6

Balogun - 5

Sporar - 6

Connolly - 6

Really it seemed like the game was done around 60 mins. I would have left the strikers on in the hope one of them scored, and gave Payero and a defender some minutes whilst resting Bamba and Tav. I think Wilder is hoping the competition up top will lead to improved performances but the 60 minutes or else approach seems to do the opposite

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

But you've also got a deeper forward than you usually have so I would say it balances out in that respect?  I did think that Howson was playing a bit deeper than the other two last night but it just seemed to be that they were both in front of him rather than McGree being next to Howson, with Tavernier in front of them both.  Funny really.

Maybe Wilder just got confused, what other reason could there possibly be?

8 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

A twist of the knife, perhaps!

For me, the result last night was less relevant than the performance, which was indifferent barring the odd moment of quality (Howson's triple-juggle, or Jones' killer cross that nobody gambled on). I know confidence is a curious beast, but we looked very listless all night, and that's not a word I've often used to describe a football team.

If that's the best we're capable of in a win-or-bust scenario, the play-offs would be another Villa-style non-event. Maybe the players are just absolutely dead on their feet with such a thin squad, but I can't see us rousing ourselves to the kinds of heroics required to overcome the challenge of finishing top six.

...unless Sheffield United impode, or Fulham absolutely pump them in a promotion party.

Yeah, we imploded v Leicester on the last day of the season.