oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Stoke 3-1 (Crooks (2) Baker OG)

Well it looks like I have the lucky charm 2nd matchday thread in a row. Just 4 more for me to write before a draw in the 2nd game of the Premier league ends my run.

It wasn't pretty and personally felt a big opportunity missed to improve the goal difference and increase the pressure on Sheffield United. But at least the season is still alive and kicking. The pressure is definitely on Sheffield United and hopefully QPR and hopefully Fulham want to finish on a high theres still a chance they may drop points.

I think Stoke are again in a similar position to Cardiff with little to play for so I feel we need to be looking at boosting the goal difference. We will likely have Fry back who in his absence has shown how massive a player he is for us and Crooks returning after a couple of months off partially through suspension. 

Talking points.

1. What has been your moment of the season?

2. Do you think QPR or Fulham will get a result for us and will we get the 6 points needed?

3. You are held hostage you have 90minutes before they execute you. You have the choice of Warnock or Pulis to lead a team to rescue you who do you pick? Or have you already accepted your life is over.

4. What changes do you make to the team if any?

5.  Do you have any obscure football facts?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great result today folks, and good luck for the last game of  the season. I really thought Stoke would prove more difficult for you today, their recent form putting them in the top six, so totally wro

Nice touch from Wilder   

He may be a kid, but he still needs to learn the difference between right and wrong, and that includes not running onto the pitch in the middle of football matches he is watching.  We can't be certain

Posted Images

Stoke have been on their best run of the season, winning 4 out of 5, beating Sheff Utd, WBA, Blackburn and QPR. Might as well go for a typical Boro result with a crushing 3-0 victory to us.

1. Moment of the season really has to be Coburn's goal against Spurs. Not just for him but as the culmination of our best team performance of the season.

2. To be honest, I doubt it. I think Wilder is struggling more than is apparent. Over the last 15 league games since the January window closed, our points return is almost identical to Warnock's first 15 of the season. May just be that the cup run took more out of us than we realised or that Wilder needs to take a good close look at himself and his team.

3. I'm with Nacho Varga on this.

4. Interesting one. Wilder says that he set up the midfield up as a diamond giving Tav a free role behind the strikers. Not sure that is logically possible but I guess he means he set up in a 3-4-1-2. If he is going to stick with that I would replace Bola with Tav and play Crooks as #10. Otherwise, Fry back in for Bamba and start with Watmore+1. I would prefer Coburn to get the nod because none of the other strikers will be here next season but Balogun is also an option. Balogun may struggle to influence a game but he still chips in with assists and goals.

5. Nope. I did once almost score an own-goal as a keeper when throwing the ball out. I saw a video of a keeper doing that a couple of years ago. It was exactly the same thing, I went to throw the ball to my right back, saw him getting closed down, carried on rotating only to let the ball go as I was facing my goal. Luckily I was long way forward and managed to run back and punch it over the bar to give away a corner.

Im dissapointed with the performance during the cardiff game, but obviously happy with the win. We played at a pedestrian pace and never got out of second gear.

However, i do wonder if that was a somewhat calculated move as it will save the players legs from the game on sat with only 2 days rest between the games.  regardless of whether it was an intetional move, i still think that  it will work in our favour as i doubt the players will be very fatigued after such a lesuirely game. 

And with two players well rested coming back, hopefully we will be in good shape to pull something out the bag for stoke.  especially with a hopefully close to capacity riverside behind them.

Not sure why, but im abit optomistic for saturday, especially if sheffield drop points to a tough QPR side, it will only add wind to our sails.

'Beach' or not, Stoke are the form team right now. I'm worried about this one, can't lie. 

Just don't think we have that fire in the belly and killer instinct in both boxes to seize this opportunity. Would love to be proved wrong. 

Friday night will also obviously play a massive part in deciding the atmosphere of this game.

The form table has Stoke in 3rd spot based on last 6 games. Behind only Forest and Huddersfield. We meanwhile are 20th.

I think mentality will play a key factor. Given we need a win and Stoke can approach this game like they have previous games in a relaxed mind-set then I sense a really tough and ultimately disappointing afternoon.

My head says 2-2 but I hope I am very wrong.

Another must win, whether QPR do us a favour or not.

Probably need a better performance than last night, but I'm not particularly fearful of Stoke and I think we should be winning.

Hopefully fewer dickheads turn up on Saturday, we need the crowd to actually encourage the team rather than create an unnecessary toxic atmosphere.

Balogun and Sporar aren't doing enough for me right now, but I'm not sure I'd risk Connolly because people will scream that Balogun scored a tap-in against Peterborough 6 matches ago and so must start.

That and I wouldn't be surprised if Connolly's motivation has gone after the embarassing antics from our fans last night.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Another must win, whether QPR do us a favour or not.

Probably need a better performance than last night, but I'm not particularly fearful of Stoke and I think we should be winning.

Hopefully fewer dickheads turn up on Saturday, we need the crowd to actually encourage the team rather than create an unnecessary toxic atmosphere.

Balogun and Sporar aren't doing enough for me right now, but I'm not sure I'd risk Connolly because people will scream that Balogun scored a tap-in against Peterborough 6 matches ago and so must start.

That and I wouldn't be surprised if Connolly's motivation has gone after the embarassing antics from our fans last night.

Stoke are one of the form teams in the league right now IIRC, you should be a little fearful of them.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Stoke are one of the form teams in the league right now IIRC, you should be a little fearful of them.

Almost every team they've beaten recently was badly out of form when they played them.

You could rightly argue we're also badly out of form, but they're just another mid table side with nothing to play for but pride.

We've been undone by plenty of poor sides this season, so we can certainly be undone by an average side like Stoke, but I don't see any reason to be fearful of them.

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Oh no, what will we do if his motivation has gone!!! 😱

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Oh no, what will we do if his motivation has gone!!! 😱

Given he's getting booed when he's clearly trying, I dread to think how the inbreds would react if he wasn't.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Giving he's getting booed when he's clearly trying, I dread to think how the inbreds would react if he wasn't.

What material difference would it make to the team though?  I mean, he did nothing when he wasn't getting booed, he might do nothing now? 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Bruce said:

Interesting one. Wilder says that he set up the midfield up as a diamond giving Tav a free role behind the strikers. Not sure that is logically possible but I guess he means he set up in a 3-4-1-2. If he is going to stick with that I would replace Bola with Tav and play Crooks as #10.

It was the same 3-5-2 that it always is.  I'm not really sure what Wilder is on about.  It was clear watching last night that it was business as usual, and the heat maps show exactly the same thing.  Odd for Wilder to suggest otherwise.

• Downsouth changed the title to Boro vs Stoke 3-1 (Crooks (2) Baker OG)