oneBoro Forum

Its the season finale. Or is it...

Friday night things seemed to be going well Sheffield United were trailing and the play offs were back on the cards...and then they turned the game around and surely ended our hopes of the play offs. On Saturday we found ourselves 3 up and were sucker punched with a late goal. Was that the sucker punch for our season?

Then midweek Fulham absolutely battered Luton bringing them right back into the reckoning meaning a draw won't be good enough if Boro also win. Also there's talk that they have a few injury worries leading into the weekend.

With one game to go are we going to sneak into the playoffs.

Talking points.

1. Any changes for the game at the weekend?

2. What would be a more typical Boro definition? Us actually getting into the playoffs after this season or failing to win when Sheffield United and Luton drop points?

3. On a scale 1-10 how do you rate this season?

4. If we fail to get into the playoffs who is your favoured team.

5. If you could go back and change one thing this season what would it be?

• Like 3
  • Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it just me or do people seen to be less willing to give wilder his chance next season after a half year finishing 7th than they were to give Warnock another season last summer after finishing 10th

Bit of length one here lads, but i needed to post it for my own sanity. I keep reading comments of people talking about how luton and sheffield are playing sides "with nothing to play for" and It

Are you watching the same stream as me? 

Posted Images

1. Any changes for the game at the weekend?

McNair for Peltier, that's it.

2. What would be a more typical Boro definition? Us actually getting into the playoffs after this season or failing to win when Sheffield United and Luton drop points?

Typical Boro is to surprise us with  results.

So making the play-offs when it looked unlikely is more Boro than things going as expected.

5 under Warnock, 7 under Wilder.

We've definitely done better than I thought we would in Novemeber, and I've largely enjoyed the football, there's still a chance we get to where I hoped we would too.

The dream is promotion, the hope was just reaching the play-offs.

Huddersfield, good community club and it'd be nice to see another Yorkshire club back up there.

If not them, then Sheffield United.

5. If you could go back and change one thing this season what would it be?

If it's just one thing and everything else remains the same...

Connolly scores that 90th minute chance against Swansea, keeping it in our hands on the last day.

1. Any changes for the game at the weekend?

McNair back in the side.

A typical Boro experience would be making the fans experience every possible emotion during the match and at the end either failing to do what they needed to do, or successfully getting into the playoffs but key player are injured and others suspended.

I’d give the season a solid 7. For periods we have been down as low as 4 and at others 9+. I’ve never thought we were one of the 6 best teams in the league so making the playoffs is a success imo, but I think we are not where we need to be as a squad to go up yet, I’d always seen next season as the one where we really push on.

Huddersfield, lived there for years so know many fans, they are a club very much like Boro, stuck in a region where local news treats them as an after thought

5. If you could go back and change one thing this season what would it be?

Get lots of dirt on the sky officials who decided at Easter to put Boro on tv, unless it’s a cup game against a glamorous name, I prefer not to have our matches televised.

Daniels

Djiksteel Fry McNair 

Jones Howson Tav

Crooks Mcgree

Watmore Sporar

I'd prefer Luton to go up if we don't. Less chance of them capitalising on the Premier League money and seriously establishing themselves than the others.

• Like 1

Talking points.

Not unless they are forced through injury or fitness. The first 20 minutes aside, the Stoke game was the best I've seen Boro in a while.

Given I don't expect us to make the play-offs, I guess it would be more "typical Boro" if they made it. But then failing to take advantage of other teams dropping points is also very "typical Boro". I can't decide! 😖

Okay, lets look at the facts: Boro need to win at Preston absolute minimum.

- We then have to hope Luton somehow fail to beat Reading at home...unlikely.

- Or that Sheffield lose at home...which is more likely.

- Or that if Sheffield hold Fulham to a draw then Boro need to beat Preston by 3 goals...hmm...

- In the unlikely event of Reading holding or beating Luton, then its all gravy...Boro can look forward to getting knocked out in the play-off semis by Forest. 😜

Forgot to add, in the very unlikely event that both Luton and Sheffield lose, then we'll get knocked out in the semis by Huddersfield. Oh the permutations! 😁

Don't really have one, but I'd be surprised if Forest don't win. I predict it'll be them and Sheffield in the final.

Get Wilder in sooner.

Edited by AnglianRed
1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Daniels

Djiksteel Fry McNair 

Jones Howson Tav

Crooks Mcgree

Watmore Sporar

I'd prefer Luton to go up if we don't. Less chance of them capitalising on the Premier League money and seriously establishing themselves than the others.

Was about to post the same Team and about Luton being my preferred option as I also suspect that while the Premiership money will be good for them they won't be as big a threat as others if they come back down with Parachute payments. If not Luton then Huddersfield for the reasons mentioned above by Naisby, a genuine local Club overshadowed and ignored by the media in favour of "bigger" Yorkshire Clubs.

• Like 1

Daniels

Dijk Fry Paddy

Jones Crooks Howson McGree Tav

Sporar Watmore

Subs: Lumley, Sol, Bola, Payero, Coburn, Connolly, Flo

2. Failing to win knowing a win would have got us play offs would be very typical.

3. Solid 7 for me too. i have enjoyed it and seen promising signs moving forward.

4. I have no interest in any of them. Forest. Just to increase the bidding war for Spence. 

5. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but that we had removed Warnock sooner.

As long as we win I don't really care, we'll have done all we could on the day and it'll just not have been in the stars for us.

Of course, if we hadn't needlessly dropped points to the likes of Barnsley, Swansea and Hull, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

• Like 8

sporar out, i just dont think he does much. We need somebody who links up well and gets about, id be tempted to throw Coburn in but would probs prefer balogun. Also i must be the only person who dosent mind Connelly, i think hes tidy on the ball and can be a real handful on his day, much more than sporar anyway.
Obviously paddy back in.

us failing to win after sheffield and luton drop points.

7.5, i enjoyed the cup run but think it cost us in the league. Also the january signings in hindsight were poor and if we had recruited properly theres no reason why we couldnt be in a position like Forest.

probably huddersfield, they've just quitely chipped away and done what needs to be done .

janurary signings,

No, I'd stick with a winning team. We might need the consistency of a unified starting XI over the coming weeks.

That's hard because there's nothing typical about this season! Probably drawing when everyone else above us also does, which is what that supercomputer predicted the other day. Another season in seventh, another year of if-onlys and what-ifs.

Probably a seven. We've underperformed considering the players we've got, with a few desperately poor performances of late and some worrying drop-offs in player contribution. There haven't been many games I've actually enjoyed watching, especially in the Warnock era, but we're still in there on the final day which has to count for something. And the cup run was amazing, even if the atmosphere inside the stadium for the Chelsea match felt strangely flat.

Nottingham Forest. Never been to the stadium, never set foot in the city, don't know any fans, no especially positive interactions with the club to report, but they're a sleeping giant with a large and loyal fanbase and a cracking stadium. They deserve a season in the sun, and have more chance of staying there beyond next May than most Championship sides. Much as I like Huddersfield, I think they'd really struggle next season, and I wouldn't enjoy seeing them getting pumped every game.

Ripping up the moderately productive Sporar-Watmore partnership by bringing in Connolly and Balogun, and then insisting on playing them every game even after it became screamingly obvious neither of them was up to it.

Talking points.

1. Any changes for the game at the weekend? - Paddy in for Pelts

2. What would be a more typical Boro definition? Us actually getting into the playoffs after this season or failing to win when Sheffield United and Luton drop points? -  The later

3. On a scale 1-10 how do you rate this season? - 7 done good but could have been so much better

4. If we fail to get into the playoffs who is your favoured team. Forest, 3rd place so they're the best team standing

5. If you could go back and change one thing this season what would it be? - Wilder in from the start, Warnock should have left end of last season, wasted an opportunity.

Final stat dump of the season...The Most Important One so Far?...

Overall:      W47  D25  L32

Home:        W27  D13  L11

Away:        W20  D12  L21

Historically, Boro have a good recent record at Deepfried...I mean Deepdale Stadium. Their last 10 visits, going back to 19th February 2006 read as follows: W6 D3 L1.

However, the visitors face a tough task to grab the 3 points they need to keep their slim play-off hopes alive. PNE have a strong home record, losing just 4 times all season. Boro's away record hasn't been terrible, but flaky enough to put a dampener on more enthusiastic fans' hopes and expectations:

Preston (Home):      W8  D10  L4      Last 5: WDLLW

Boro (Away):            W6  D8    L8      Last 5: DLDWW

• Downsouth changed the title to Preston vs Boro 4-1 (Tavernier)