oneBoro Forum

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Isn't that same problem going to be a problem no matter who is in charge though? It's never going to be perfect but if you recruit players who suit a basic style of football and recruit managers who have their own iteration on that then that's fine.

At the end of the day, it's not like these marauding centre backs are exactly a niche style of footballer, they're footballers who can play that way but can also play other ways. Dijksteel and McNair, when they've been at their best, have done the role well but they can still play in their positions or other positions well and it's their comfortable nature on the ball that will transition between managers nicely. 

Wingers is a fair point but that just comes back to the point about formation, that's nothing specifically to do with Wilderball, that's just teams who want to play some version of 3-5-2. And to be fair, the best wing back we currently have is a winger by trade so... who's to say we can't cover that as well?

I just don't see the need for panic on that front at all. Wilderball isn't miles away from other possession based football and recruitment can still generally be handled better and allow for iteration of the same brand of football.

I see your point but disagree on the basis that I see Wilderball as a particularly unique way of possession based Football which is great when it's working for Wilder but not so good when the opposition have sussed it out as we are starting to see. It's the total lack of an alternative up his sleeve that I find more concerning and something that was levelled at Pulis, Karanka etc. previously. I see this ending the same way and then what as it wasn't what the original plan was supposed to be all about unless Scott wanted us to play the Wilder way which I very much doubt. 

After Burnley Wilder has slipped in terms of trust and belief with some fans hence the concerns. Add in his Strikers in January etc. and if it doesn't work out then we will have spent the Spence money on Players that are not wanted by a new Manager because only Wilder plays his way. It would be so very typical of Boro as every time we seem to get a few quid we relive it up the wall and the Manager is then gone half way through the next season. If that does happen then I don't see us getting another Manager that plays his way.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it just me or do people seen to be less willing to give wilder his chance next season after a half year finishing 7th than they were to give Warnock another season last summer after finishing 10th

Bit of length one here lads, but i needed to post it for my own sanity. I keep reading comments of people talking about how luton and sheffield are playing sides "with nothing to play for" and It

Are you watching the same stream as me? 

Posted Images

Far too many folks want instant success, it is not going to happen.  It takes time!  I literally do not get peoples logic on here.  If we’d have gone into the top 6 a good portion on here would be saying CW is amazing and all that.  Give the bloke a season or 2, it would have been nice to go up or even have a go but I would fear if we did get into PL.  this place would be in meltdown weekly.  

Now go and look forward to a busy summer of ins and outs!  UTB

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, macapes said:

Indeed.  

Transfermarkt has Warnock on 1.29 PPG for this season, 22 points from 17 games.  Wilder got 48 points from 29, from the same source.  Which is 1.65 PPG.

Warnocks average has us on 59 points over a full season.

Wilder's over a full season is 76.

That's 5th place versus 17th.

In our last 10 league games we've averaged 1.5 points per game which would be good enough for 69 points and level with Blackburn/Millwall over a season in 8th/9th. 

As I said I think Wilder definitely deserves more time but I can see the argument from those who are concerned about the way the season has ended. 

About 6 weeks ago I thought we'd either get promoted this season or be one of the favourites in next seasons Championship. Now when you look at next season I honestly wouldn't be surprised with a promotion challenge or a season where we finish about 10th. 

Something has changed in the last half a dozen games, its probably just lack of form but it is concerning if teams have worked Wilder out. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Wilders record getting teams promoted speaks for itself Oxford, Norhampton and Sheff Utd, does anybody actually believe that Wilder doesn't feel he needs to make big improvements, some on here are starting to sound as fickle as the Mackem and Geordie fans. I honestly don't know where some of you are coming from.

We played crap we got beat get over it.

Warnock has a better record of getting teams promoted...just saying... 😉

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

The worst part about today is it wasn’t a surprise.

I dunno man, an own goal, a red card, a direct goal from a corner (even if it wasn't given), McNair giving piggy backs, Tav scoring with his head, it was all pretty surprising to me.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Wilders record getting teams promoted speaks for itself Oxford, Norhampton and Sheff Utd, does anybody actually believe that Wilder doesn't feel he needs to make big improvements, some on here are starting to sound as fickle as the Mackem and Geordie fans. I honestly don't know where some of you are coming from.

We played crap we got beat get over it.

I seem to recall that our last Manager had a pretty good record for getting teams promoted as well yet there were plenty of dissenters. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I seem to recall that our last Manager had a pretty good record for getting teams promoted as well yet there were plenty of dissenters. 

He managed for 300 years so of course he had some success. Wilder has had success in significantly less years. 

warnock also had 100% relegation from the premier league record. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

some on here are starting to sound as fickle as the Mackem and Geordie fans. I honestly don't know where some of you are coming from

I don't think its as simple as you are making out. You obviously get a tiny minority who want the manager out after one result but I think the end of the season form poses as many questions about Wilder than it provides answers. 

I think the question marks are valid and I don't want to get rid of the manager. 

• Like 1
Just now, Redcar Rioja said:

His actual performance was the issue there. And the dire football being played. And the players he wanted to sign.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Redcar Rioja said:

There's no way you can compare Chris Wilders style of football to Warnocks dinosaur style of football.

• Like 1
Just now, sackrobson2 said:

He managed for 300 years so of course he had some success. Wilder has had success in significantly less years. 

What's their respective averages of Championship promotions over years in Management?

Dunno if this will make anyone feel any better but here goes.

If we HAD done the business today, this goal would have kept us out of the playoffs. 🤢🤢🤢🤢

• Haha 4
  • Wow 1