oneBoro Forum

9 minutes ago, sackrobson2 said:

Very weird take on things this. So you don’t think Wilder has really made any difference? 

Not weird at all. Just pointing out that things can change over the duration of a long season & saying a manager would have got x amounts of points  is a faulty exercise.

Yeah. He made a difference.The football was easier on the eye until recently. The cup nights were fantastic. Warnock never bothered with the cups which i hated. I would be worried going forward for next season however. Our January signings were truly awful.Anybody looking at Connolly & thinking he would be the answer needs to have a change of career i think.

Balogun.JLS,Boyd Munce,Payero- All flops.

Anyway after that horror show.i need a pint or 10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it just me or do people seen to be less willing to give wilder his chance next season after a half year finishing 7th than they were to give Warnock another season last summer after finishing 10th

Bit of length one here lads, but i needed to post it for my own sanity. I keep reading comments of people talking about how luton and sheffield are playing sides "with nothing to play for" and It

Are you watching the same stream as me? 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

"Monday is when you decide on players futures" was the statement he agreed with from the BBC reporter.

Ah ok, thought it meant that some announcements were going to be made.

Pretty well amazed at some of the comments here. No, scratch that. I'm not amazed but it doesn't make very nice reading. At the end of last season, I'd have taken a 7th place finish this season very happily, thank you very much. It's not so long ago that we were flirting with League One. And if you'd suggested back in October that we stood even the slightest chance of making the play-offs, people would have laughed.

When CW was appointed, I don't remember anyone expecting us to get promoted this season. Not getting promoted means losing games, and we lost our due share. On the other hand, Boro started to become an entertaining team to watch and - apart from the odd spark illuminating the abyss - it's been a long time since that last happened. Wilder has had one transfer window to get the players he wanted, and it was the January transfer window at that, which is pretty much a waste of time IMO. 

In fact, we didn't do too badly this season - much better than I expected. The foundations are there and it's now time to build on them.

• Like 10

Love those words from Wilder, we need to set standards as a football club for too long we've let players run their contracts down and manager after manager left to work around players who aren't what we need. 

Johnny Howson's had the best season of his Boro career but I hope we let him go, we need a proper holding midiielder with energy who can dictate the tempo for us. 

If players don't fit what we need move them on, the only player in that squad I have sympathy for is Payero hopefully Wilder keeps him around for pre season and gives him a chance. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I reckon we might try cash in on Jones. Think he might be one of the surprise ones

I'm hoping that whatever money we get from outgoings Wilder gets a decent transfer budget. I hope we can hold onto Jones but a big offer may be too much for the club to turn down. 

28 minutes ago, Leesider said:

Yeah cause results never changes over a season do they? I dunno why we bother playing all those games when all you have to do is take a third of the season & multiply the points total by 3. New manager bounce,injured players coming back ,new signings never make any difference at all?

Im not saying Warnock would have taken us up but i doubt if the difference points wise would have been significanty different. 

Recruitment left us down big time this season

Of course results can change.  Our results dramatically improved after Warnock left by way of an example.  At the point Warnock was sacked we were 14th, we were going at 1.29 points per game.  The previous full season we went at 1.39 points per game.  His overall record here, which includes cup games, is 1.32 points per game.  There's nothing at all to suggest that any improvement would have been made other than wishful thinking.  Under Wilder we have gone at 1.66 points per game.  That's the 5th best record in the league in that time I believe.  Warnock has only bettered 1.66 points per game in 5 seasons over the last 25 years or so.  So whilst it's still possible that we could have suddenly improved under him and finished this season with more points, it's not that likely even based on his own career record, let alone the actual situation we were in when he was sacked here.

You also seem to have contradicted yourself above.  You talk about new signings but then say recruitment let us down big time this season.  As we know that our signings in January haven't been up to much, it seems fair to say that our league position now is despite that, which would seem to be a point for Wilder rather than against him, as he's improved us without being able to improve the squad.

Bottom line is that we're better off now than we would have been had Warnock continued in all likelihood.  If you start playing the 'we could have' game then of course you can say that we could have done just as well had Warnock been kept on, you can say we could have won all 29 remaining games if you like.  The question is how likely those things are, and the evidence tells you that it wasn't likely at all.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I reckon we might try cash in on Jones. Think he might be one of the surprise ones

Possibly. I think its Djed and Tav myself but we will soon see. 

Wilder post match is like when Gibson came out and said next season we will smash the league kind off. What does attitude over ability mean more Connollys as he has bags of attitude and no ability 

• Wow 1
12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Of course results can change.  Our results dramatically improved after Warnock left by way of an example.  At the point Warnock was sacked we were 14th, we were going at 1.29 points per game.  The previous full season we went at 1.39 points per game.  His overall record here, which includes cup games, is 1.32 points per game.  There's nothing at all to suggest that any improvement would have been made other than wishful thinking.  Under Wilder we have gone at 1.66 points per game.  That's the 5th best record in the league in that time I believe.  Warnock has only bettered 1.66 points per game in 5 seasons over the last 25 years or so.  So whilst it's still possible that we could have suddenly improved under him and finished this season with more points, it's not that likely even based on his own career record, let alone the actual situation we were in when he was sacked here.

You also seem to have contradicted yourself above.  You talk about new signings but then say recruitment let us down big time this season.  As we know that our signings in January haven't been up to much, it seems fair to say that our league position now is despite that, which would seem to be a point for Wilder rather than against him, as he's improved us without being able to improve the squad.

Bottom line is that we're better off now than we would have been had Warnock continued in all likelihood.  If you start playing the 'we could have' game then of course you can say that we could have done just as well had Warnock been kept on, you can say we could have won all 29 remaining games if you like.  The question is how likely those things are, and the evidence tells you that it wasn't likely at all.

You've given me hope. I hope I don't regret this 😄

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Love those words from Wilder, we need to set standards as a football club for too long we've let players run their contracts down and manager after manager left to work around players who aren't what we need. 

To be honest I was disappointed in them.  Attitude over ability is a moronic way to look at things in my view.  Watmore works his nuts off but he'll never be a big goal scorer.  His attitude isn't the issue, his ability is, and he's our best striker.  Therein lies the problem.

• Like 1

Not sure what to make of Wilders comments, I'd agree we need changes but we've also heard this before from managers about needing a total rebuild. 

A rebuild is something that takes time and money and we need to make sure we get it right otherwise we're back at square one. 

I'd love a manager to come out and say he thinks he can get more out of the players, rather than say we need to throw more money at things but I guess that's the modern way of deflecting blame from themselves to the players. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Johnny Howson's had the best season of his Boro career but I hope we let him go, we need a proper holding midiielder with energy who can dictate the tempo for us. 

If players don't fit what we need move them on, the only player in that squad I have sympathy for is Payero hopefully Wilder keeps him around for pre season and gives him a chance. 

yeah I pretty much agree with this, as great as Howson's been, he feels a little too light-weight for that more defensive midfield position. I guess it depends if any other CM's go - Tav/Payero perhaps.. cos Howson would be well-suited to that role.