oneBoro Forum

2 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I had the Luton game on a monitor yesterday and the difference in desire and attitude from them was worlds apart.

The intensity and application they put in was everything we have been lacking for weeks.

I remember an old coach used to drill into us you earn the right to play football. We don’t.

I agree but if we’d been gifted the first goal like they were our match may have been very different. 

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it just me or do people seen to be less willing to give wilder his chance next season after a half year finishing 7th than they were to give Warnock another season last summer after finishing 10th

Bit of length one here lads, but i needed to post it for my own sanity. I keep reading comments of people talking about how luton and sheffield are playing sides "with nothing to play for" and It

Are you watching the same stream as me? 

Posted Images

9 hours ago, LBP said:

Feel very optimistic for next season after listening to Wilder's interview

Cant help but wonder who he means when he says they haven't been putting in 100% but hes still been playing them out of necessity 

Just sound bites and deflection. If he can't get 100% out of them then that's down to his personality and methods. It's more to do with his overly complicated tactics that don't work that well and leave us exposed the team is all over the shop poor howson trying to cover every hole left from players out of position. I think the bloke is full of ***. He needs to stop blaming everyone else and knock his head together with his dozey assistant and think of a better way for us to set up next season.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sackrobson2 said:

I agree but if we’d been gifted the first goal like they were our match may have been very different. 

Would it? We were completely outplayed from start to finish. Would have probably ended up 4-2 instead of 4-1.

Just now, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Would it? We were completely outplayed from start to finish. Would have probably ended up 4-2 instead of 4-1.

Would it? We tend to do well when we score first. 

1 minute ago, sackrobson2 said:

Would it? We tend to do well when we score first. 

We didn't do well at any point in the game I really don't think it would make a difference yesterday if we scored first or not... mcnair and Fry were having absolute shockers and the keeper. I don't see how after looking at that performance you ascert that we would have won the game by scoring a lucky goal. 

3 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I don't think Wilder has it in him to get us up next season as champions without an utterly massive overhaul in the squad, and I don't think Gibson would allow that.

We lacked quality in pretty much every area of the pitch yesterday.

I think it depends on how long Gibson, Wilder and Scott see this "project" lasting.

Is the plan to get us promoted next season, or do they see the rebuild as an ongoing thing for the next couple of seasons?

Gibson's had his fingers burnt before, throwing a lot of money at a manager in an attempt for instant success. He's probably reluctant to do so again...even if the club's finances allowed it.

Obviously much will depend on how quickly they can find the kind of players Wilder wants...for the right money. In the possible but unlikely scenario of us landing all our targets in the Summer, of course we could push for automatic promotion. However, I'm more inclined to think the target for next season will be the play-offs.

I'm still firmly in the camp of wanting Boro to be "ready" for promotion, in the way Bournemouth and Fulham have been (and other clubs before them). I.e. with a strong squad who are clearly too good for the Championship, that should be competitive in the PL with just a few additions that won't cost a fortune. Sensible, incremental development and improvement.

What I really want to see next season is a departure from the horribly ineffectual football we've seen so often this season. Slow, predictable and easy to defend against, so we're reduced to sideways and backwards passing. Also want to see our defence strengthened and organised, so I'm not panicking every time the opposition counter-attacks.

Obviously promotion would be nice, but I won't be hugely disappointed if a play-off semi is as far as we get.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

We didn't do well at any point in the game I really don't think it would make a difference yesterday if we scored first or not... mcnair and Fry were having absolute shockers and the keeper. I don't see how after looking at that performance you ascert that we would have won the game by scoring a lucky goal. 

I think I said it may have been different right, I didn’t actually assert anything did I?  

When we score first our record is very good. Psychologically of course it would have changed the game for both teams. We may have relaxed and played well. Who knows but it “may” have been different. 

1 minute ago, sackrobson2 said:

I think I said it may have been different right, I didn’t actually assert anything did I?  

When we score first our record is very good. Psychologically of course it would have changed the game for both teams. We may have relaxed and played well. Who knows but it “may” have been different. 

We scored first against Swansea then conceded within 2 minutes because bird brain mcnair was half way down the pitch trying to be an attacker. We were completely outplayed yesterday it wasn't even close. I don't think anything other than some better tactics and a different team selection would have changed it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

We scored first against Swansea then conceded within 2 minutes because bird brain mcnair was half way down the pitch trying to be an attacker. We were completely outplayed yesterday it wasn't even close. I don't think anything other than some better tactics and a different team selection would have changed it.

I guess seeing as that happened against Swansea then that absolutely proves the first goal is always irrelevant. If we’d been gifted a lucky first goal there is absolutely no way we wouldn’t have still lost. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Just sound bites and deflection. If he can't get 100% out of them then that's down to his personality and methods. It's more to do with his overly complicated tactics that don't work that well and leave us exposed the team is all over the shop poor howson trying to cover every hole left from players out of position. I think the bloke is full of ***. He needs to stop blaming everyone else and knock his head together with his dozey assistant and think of a better way for us to set up next season.

This is why I do have some reservations and am again tempering my expectations for next season.

Wilder does seem overly wed to a single way of playing...which is fine if you can clearly communicate it to the players and train them to play it effectively. After a bit of a purple patch last year, we did lose our way quite badly.

Which is why I think Wilder is a high-risk strategy (or his reign could be a long-term project). We are depending on him and Scott being able to recruit exactly the kind of players he needs...otherwise it isn't going to work.

Also a bit concerned by his reluctance to use squad rotation to give players a rest. Was it simply down to him not trusting our squad players, or does he normally like to play the same XI week in, week out, regardless?

I don't like the idea of us being overly reliant on the same players having to deliver twice a week, for most of the season.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

We have a solid goalkeeper and this overly complicated all over the shop system finishes in the play offs with a squad languishing in 17th or whatever when he took over

Dont fall into the trap of we lost = sell everyone and sack the manager we are soooo bad!!!

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Wouldn’t have mattered anyway as results didn’t go for us elsewhere. Problem lies more in games like Hull and others where we just didn’t turn up. Could have had a play off spot cemented long before the last day. Many things to review throughout the season, not just one game.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, LBP said:

We have a solid goalkeeper and this overly complicated all over the shop system finishes in the play offs with a squad languishing in 17th or whatever when he took over

Dont fall into the trap of we lost = sell everyone and sack the manager we are soooo bad!!!

We had a good start and since mid Jan we have been averaging less than 1.3 ppg which is lower mid table form and playing poor more than good. I wouldn't fall into the trap of overhyping a new managers start. I havnt seen anything recently to tell me this way of playing will be successful next season and I didn't want to see it when he was appointed.

2 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

We had a good start and since mid Jan we have been averaging less than 1.3 ppg which is lower mid table form and playing poor more than good. I wouldn't fall into the trap of overhyping a new managers start. I havnt seen anything recently to tell me this way of playing will be successful next season and I didn't want to see it when he was appointed.

Screenshot_20220508-134154_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d0fdf91afaf8f456b78161a2443d7134.jpg

That's the table if it started in January.

8th isn't amazing, but it's still better than most teams in the league.

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

Screenshot_20220508-134154_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d0fdf91afaf8f456b78161a2443d7134.jpg

That's the table if it starred in January.

2 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

Ir still doesn't change the fact that since then out ppg and in large performances have been poor tho does it. Are you happy with 1.25 ppg next season?