oneBoro Forum

I know it’s an emotional day but some truly ridiculous posts here about how Wilder has failed. He’s improved us clearly and we’ve ended up missing out on the last day. Something that would definitely not have happened if we’d stuck with the previous manager. 

there’s no doubt there are problems with him, I am definitely concerned he’s so utterly incapable of even considering a different system, it makes him look very basic. But we need to give him the summer and see how we do next season. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it just me or do people seen to be less willing to give wilder his chance next season after a half year finishing 7th than they were to give Warnock another season last summer after finishing 10th

Bit of length one here lads, but i needed to post it for my own sanity. I keep reading comments of people talking about how luton and sheffield are playing sides "with nothing to play for" and It

Are you watching the same stream as me? 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Does anyone know our points per game since Wilder took over, and if it would have been enough to get playoffs over the full season? 

I imagine it would be very close. In which case I’m not sure why any Boro fan would be wanting rid of Wilder. Half a season and one January window and people want rid. Unreal.

Everyone wanted a long term plan, and now we have one, some fans are wanting to change manager again because we didn’t get playoffs. 

We’d have finished 5th.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Is it just me or do people seen to be less willing to give wilder his chance next season after a half year finishing 7th than they were to give Warnock another season last summer after finishing 10th with a full campaign?

Some of you need to give your head a shake. 

Bang on mate. Glad someone is talking sense amongst the absolute drivel.

• Like 2

Well that was a little disappointing!

I think there has to be a lot of changes over the next few months. There are too many players without the ability to get us promoted. You hear a lot about footballing intelligence and I think it’s something we are seriously lacking. Cash in on Tav he has no heart and is inconsistent, with the money from him and Spence we should be able put together a decent team.

We gave it a go fell short at the final hurdle, tbf we were reliant on the others to slip up…….see you next season, it’s been a rollercoaster ride again.

3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Points per game is a far more useful metric, and actual position in the league. Doesn't fit the narrative for Warnock apologists though.

Indeed.  

Transfermarkt has Warnock on 1.29 PPG for this season, 22 points from 17 games.  Wilder got 48 points from 29, from the same source.  Which is 1.65 PPG.

Warnocks average has us on 59 points over a full season.

Wilder's over a full season is 76.

That's 5th place versus 17th.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I see it as very different and was the reason just this week that there was so much discussion on here at the suggestion of Ben Gibson returning. Left footed and a CB yes, but not the marauding overlapping type that Wilder seems to like.

No conventional Wingers as such in his system and his Strikers are hardly the norm (even if he or Scott could find one that suits "his" system) let alone one that scores. Add in that if a new Manager wanted conventional LB's or RB's then we would be stuffed, and that's just for starters. Sure some Players can adapt and adjust but isn't that exactly what the Club said they were trying to prevent?

Isn't that same problem going to be a problem no matter who is in charge though? It's never going to be perfect but if you recruit players who suit a basic style of football and recruit managers who have their own iteration on that then that's fine.

At the end of the day, it's not like these marauding centre backs are exactly a niche style of footballer, they're footballers who can play that way but can also play other ways. Dijksteel and McNair, when they've been at their best, have done the role well but they can still play in their positions or other positions well and it's their comfortable nature on the ball that will transition between managers nicely. 

Wingers is a fair point but that just comes back to the point about formation, that's nothing specifically to do with Wilderball, that's just teams who want to play some version of 3-5-2. And to be fair, the best wing back we currently have is a winger by trade so... who's to say we can't cover that as well?

I just don't see the need for panic on that front at all. Wilderball isn't miles away from other possession based football and recruitment can still generally be handled better and allow for iteration of the same brand of football.

Think long term, fellas...if we are trying to be more like a Brentford-type model, that doesn't happen overnight. I'm still optimistic for next year. Bummed about us not showing up today, mind, but onwards and upwards...

• Like 5

Wilders record getting teams promoted speaks for itself Oxford, Norhampton and Sheff Utd, does anybody actually believe that Wilder doesn't feel he needs to make big improvements, some on here are starting to sound as fickle as the Mackem and Geordie fans. I honestly don't know where some of you are coming from.

We played crap we got beat get over it.

• Like 2