Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

For years we’ve been talking on this message board about building for the long term, getting in a DoF, following the Brentford model. Then after a season of Scott and half of Wilder people are calling for a change! It’s ridiculous. Brentford took years to get promoted yet many on here were begging for us to model ourselves on them. 
Wilder has some arrogance about him and is totally backing himself to get this club back into the PL. I think he has faults and has made mistakes, but I’m 100% happier with him in charge building for the long term than I was the last 3 managers. I’m excited for next season already. 

I think the concerns are exactly that, we aren't following the Brentford model or even the Norwich model come to that it's the Wilder model and therein lies the causes for concern. It's the tail wagging the Dog.

The Club is moulding itself to fit a particular Manager which is the exact opposite surely of what the "model" plan was supposed to be and indeed just leading to more of the same mistakes often repeated in the past. The idea of the Model is to be able to recruit follow on Managers that play to the same style and system and so that we don't have more flip flopping from one style to another along with a squad that are not fit for the new Manager's style.

Wilder was available and we probably understandably knee jerked and went for him but to me he wasn't the type of Manager or direction that fitted any Model it was just an instinctive gamble that he could repeat his success here and that we could bypass the "model" plan. It may still work if the Club back him and get the right Players in to play his system but therein for me is the contradiction in terms.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it just me or do people seen to be less willing to give wilder his chance next season after a half year finishing 7th than they were to give Warnock another season last summer after finishing 10th

Bit of length one here lads, but i needed to post it for my own sanity. I keep reading comments of people talking about how luton and sheffield are playing sides "with nothing to play for" and It

Are you watching the same stream as me? 

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

For years we’ve been talking on this message board about building for the long term, getting in a DoF, following the Brentford model. Then after a season of Scott and half of Wilder people are calling for a change! It’s ridiculous. Brentford took years to get promoted yet many on here were begging for us to model ourselves on them. 
Wilder has some arrogance about him and is totally backing himself to get this club back into the PL. I think he has faults and has made mistakes, but I’m 100% happier with him in charge building for the long term than I was the last 3 managers. I’m excited for next season already. 

Totally agree with you on the DOF model but I dont think that Scott is really that as far as dictating how we are going play and what type of players we will look to buy under Wilder. I honestly don't think 532 overlapping cbs is a tactic you can build your club ethos on. Scott at the moment seems to be head of recruitment and that's it and I dont even know if he has the final say over Wilder on that. 

I also made the point earlier that someone above the manager needs to decide how we are going to to look as a football club for example we will play with wingers who can dribble well and we want athletic strong players through the middle etc etc then you can buy players that suit what your wanting to achieve and hire managers that can buy into it and deliver tactics to suit. 

I would actually love mogga to come in as a director of football I think his Knowledge of players and the way he wants to see the game played is perfect for the role. I just think he falls short as a manager for some reason to get teams up but he would be great dictating things from the backroom. 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel very optimistic for next season after listening to Wilder's interview

Cant help but wonder who he means when he says they haven't been putting in 100% but hes still been playing them out of necessity 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Totally agree with you on the DOF model but I dont think that Scott is really that as far as dictating how we are going play and what type of players we will look to buy under Wilder. I honestly don't think 532 overlapping cbs is a tactic you can build your club ethos on. Scott at the moment seems to be head of recruitment and that's it and I dont even know if he has the final say over Wilder on that. 

I also made the point earlier that someone above the manager needs to decide how we are going to to look as a football club for example we will play with wingers who can dribble well and we want athletic strong players through the middle etc etc then you can buy players that suit what your wanting to achieve and hire managers that can buy into it and deliver tactics to suit. 

I would actually love mogga to come in as a director of football I think his Knowledge of players and the way he wants to see the game played is perfect for the role. I just think he falls short as a manager for some reason to get teams up but he would be great dictating things from the backroom. 

It certainly looks like it’s the Wilder model rather than the DOF model, but Scott hired Wilder. 3-5-2 is a very popular modern formation, who’s to say it’s not how Scott wants to play and his future long term vision. He certainly seems focussed on youth.  Let’s see the players he brings in next season before we decide that it’s all Wilder and nothing to do with Scott. 
 

Maybe something for the supporters group to ask in their Q&A session. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Wilder has it in him to get us up next season as champions without an utterly massive overhaul in the squad, and I don't think Gibson would allow that.

We lacked quality in pretty much every area of the pitch yesterday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I don't think Wilder has it in him to get us up next season as champions without an utterly massive overhaul in the squad, and I don't think Gibson would allow that.

We lacked quality in pretty much every area of the pitch yesterday.

There's going to be a massive overhaul anyway.

We've got 8 players here on loan or out of contract, that's a third of the squad.

That's before you get in to the players under contract that we'll surely try to move on.

I'd expect Peltier to be offered a new contract alongside Howson, but there are still a lot of players that will be leaving.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not but three teams go up and he may be able to take one of the spots. I’m sure we will improve on this season but whether it’s enough for promotion we will have to wait and see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Pointing this exact comment out as a thing to criticise Wilder about after the way you've compared the comments people make between Warnock and Wilder is quite mad, to me.

The only difference in that to me is that Howson was the one player who actually did look like he was trying to get on the ball and drive the game for us. It wasn't a 10/10 performance, not by a long shot but we had a fair few there today who mentally checked out of the game after about 20 minutes.

I thought Howson was good on the ball as we nearly always is but his defensive work (tackling and positional play) were really poor. 

He was *** poor for their (I think) first goal and consistency he goes missing when he’s meant to be the defensive shield.

How many times have we seen opposition getting a goal scoring opportunity from a simple through ball in the middle of the field. The same happened again yesterday.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12607477/preston-4-1-middlesbrough-championship-highlights

 

Sorry everyone but the highs and lows have to be shown.

The only concern I have is that despite the hype and build up coming from CW we witnessed a horror show and for me really was why?

CT mentioned it earlier and others have done so was the need to get in front in games indeed I think stats have shown just how many wins we have had when scoring first.

The desire to do that went away sometime ago.

Based on how rank we have been clearly there are players who want to get away as soon as possible because the desire for the play offs was nowhere to be seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12607477/preston-4-1-middlesbrough-championship-highlights

 

Sorry everyone but the highs and lows have to be shown.

The only concern I have is that despite the hype and build up coming from CW we witnessed a horror show and for me really was why?

CT mentioned it earlier and others have done so was the need to get in front in games indeed I think stats have shown just how many wins we have had when scoring first.

The desire to do that went away sometime ago.

Based on how rank we have been clearly there are players who want to get away as soon as possible because the desire for the play offs was nowhere to be seen.

I had the Luton game on a monitor yesterday and the difference in desire and attitude from them was worlds apart.

The intensity and application they put in was everything we have been lacking for weeks.

I remember an old coach used to drill into us you earn the right to play football. We don’t.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I had the Luton game on a monitor yesterday and the difference in desire and attitude from them was worlds apart.

The intensity and application they put in was everything we have been lacking for weeks.

I remember an old coach used to drill into us you earn the right to play football. We don’t.

If Luton were to achieve the improbable just what an issue would Kenilworth Road be to get it to PL standards?

They will have to fork out shed loads to get it up to standard.

Promotion may just have arrived too early for them, however with Watford relegated it always seems to be a team from the same area taking relegated places

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Downsouth said:

If Luton were to achieve the improbable just what an issue would Kenilworth Road be to get it to PL standards?

They will have to fork out shed loads to get it up to standard.

Promotion may just have arrived too early for them, however with Watford relegated it always seems to be a team from the same area taking relegated places

They'd probably spend the absolute bare minimum, as they're in the process of building a new stadium.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

If Luton were to achieve the improbable just what an issue would Kenilworth Road be to get it to PL standards?

They will have to fork out shed loads to get it up to standard.

Promotion may just have arrived too early for them, however with Watford relegated it always seems to be a team from the same area taking relegated places

It may be simpler for them to Ground Share with MK Dons or Watford rather than waste millions patching up a dilapidated Kenilworth Road as they build their new Stadium.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...