• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree I’m not a big fan either. I don’t like the way that he sticks to a fixed formation rather than accommodating the players that he has I know it is a bug bare of mine but I hate 532 and wingback

General brand of football better , Excellent Cup run  Tactics dodgy at times , didn't get it right in the big games in league Poor signings  In general Can do better     

He got more out of the players for the first 2 months then we slipped back to inconsistency for the rest of the season. In fact I'd say we got worse through that bad run as the season ran its course r

I think his influence on the squad is an obvious improvement. He obtained more consistency from the squad than Warnock was managing. He had a clear blindspot on Lumley and persisted too long and I am not too sure what went on with the striker recruitment, January is difficult to bring in quality unless you pay ott for it.

His biggest mistake for me was tactically by taking Paddy off set pieces leaving it to Tav and Jonny H.

I am sure with a squad built more in his own image next season will see one of two things, Boro’s promotion or yet another new manager the season after. I am quietly confident of the former, but can the recruitment be done effectively and provide us with 2 or 3 strikers who can hit a cow’s backside with a banjo, along with several other positions needing an upgrade? 

I think because we ultimately failed toward the end, finishing like a tired mid table team, I’d give him a C+ but would count this test as his mocks, the real exam is next season where I am hoping for an A- at worst.

• Like 1

I think from even the first game, you could see what he was going for and it's clear he has an identity that he wants the players to fit into, particularly formation-wise. Getting what he did out of some of those players this season was a marked improvement considering the changes he made to a squad that hasn't operated very dynamically on a passing front for a long time.

As much as the shape stays the same, getting the ball forward depends and can change during the game. We can still knock it long, focusing a lot on the second ball rather than the first, but we've looked at our best when we pass and move in quick succession. He definitely needs mobile players going forward, players who can see the smart pass from the giver and the receiver's perspective but we have seen that come out at times even in the squad he had this season.

I know some think he labours on changes and never changes his style but since AK left, we have had a few managers who tinker with team and formation to no end with no clear vision of what they actually want to impose on the opposition. It's been more necessary to have good individual players to make up for the gap in tactical intention.

Our best manager since 2009's relegation showed almost zero flexibility even in the face of defeat and really, we were doing okay without the additions of Ramirez and Rhodes, they just got us over the line after a very tough period three quarters into the season. The likes of Dimi, Ayala, Gibson, Friend, Clayton, Leadbitter, all decent players on their own, that manager took them to the next level and perhaps was the best they've ever been at any level. You can't just rely on big signings, you have to make those you have, regardless of money spent, better and Wilder is the first one I've seen since AK to have come in and made the group generally better and more capable of challenging better teams. Given the mid-season introduction, that's all the more impressive.

When you see that, you want to give that man better players or players who he can forge into better ones for the sake of this team. The first first-team permanent signing looks a smart one. It kind of reminds me of the signing of Adam Forshaw in a way, not breaking the bank but a talented young player with potential who can have his game taken to the next level. He's an exciting talent for us to have on board. That's the kind of signing that gives me a bit of hope going into this window.

It's been a decent start, let's hope we can kick on next season.

49 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think from even the first game, you could see what he was going for and it's clear he has an identity that he wants the players to fit into, particularly formation-wise. Getting what he did out of some of those players this season was a marked improvement considering the changes he made to a squad that hasn't operated very dynamically on a passing front for a long time.

As much as the shape stays the same, getting the ball forward depends and can change during the game. We can still knock it long, focusing a lot on the second ball rather than the first, but we've looked at our best when we pass and move in quick succession. He definitely needs mobile players going forward, players who can see the smart pass from the giver and the receiver's perspective but we have seen that come out at times even in the squad he had this season.

I know some think he labours on changes and never changes his style but since AK left, we have had a few managers who tinker with team and formation to no end with no clear vision of what they actually want to impose on the opposition. It's been more necessary to have good individual players to make up for the gap in tactical intention.

Our best manager since 2009's relegation showed almost zero flexibility even in the face of defeat and really, we were doing okay without the additions of Ramirez and Rhodes, they just got us over the line after a very tough period three quarters into the season. The likes of Dimi, Ayala, Gibson, Friend, Clayton, Leadbitter, all decent players on their own, that manager took them to the next level and perhaps was the best they've ever been at any level. You can't just rely on big signings, you have to make those you have, regardless of money spent, better and Wilder is the first one I've seen since AK to have come in and made the group generally better and more capable of challenging better teams. Given the mid-season introduction, that's all the more impressive.

When you see that, you want to give that man better players or players who he can forge into better ones for the sake of this team. The first first-team permanent signing looks a smart one. It kind of reminds me of the signing of Adam Forshaw in a way, not breaking the bank but a talented young player with potential who can have his game taken to the next level. He's an exciting talent for us to have on board. That's the kind of signing that gives me a bit of hope going into this window.

He got more out of the players for the first 2 months then we slipped back to inconsistency for the rest of the season. In fact I'd say we got worse through that bad run as the season ran its course rather than improve. 

I've not been that happy with wilders tactics and the performances on the pitch generally. When we play well it's an improvement on what I have seen in the last few years so that's a positive and hopefully we can see more good performances than not next season.

He definitely needs the summer to get a few in and then I'll judge him properly on next seasons performances. I wouldn't be throwing alot of money at him and Scott yet regardless of what me make in sales this summer. I think both of them should prove themselves before we throw all our eggs in their baskets as we have done that before with monk and it was pretty much disastrous. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

He definitely needs the summer to get a few in and then I'll judge him properly on next seasons performances. I wouldn't be throwing alot of money at him and Scott yet regardless of what me make in sales this summer. I think both of them should prove themselves before we throw all our eggs in their baskets as we have done that before with monk and it was pretty much disastrous. 

Honestly, I've hated looking back at the money we've spent since Monk and who has got to spend it but they are the managers in charge at that point in time and especially with Scott as the Head of Football, he should be getting as much of a budget as possible too and I'm sure he will.

This is our first summer with a Head of Football in charge, someone who has experience of a similar job at the same level with a team who has gotten themselves promoted the last two times they could. He has been putting plans in place since September and will have had an even better idea since November of where we're heading. So far, he's been directly involved in two permanent transfers who've moved up from Brum and especially the main investment with McGree looks a nifty one.

Scott may or may not succeed but I don't want to be looking back on this summer and wondering whether he was held back by lack of ability to invest. The worst thing that happens is that we fail but what's the difference between that and any other summer in recent memory? Gibson always spends where he can, he backs who he hires. If he doesn't want to back Scott and Wilder, they shouldn't be in their positions, in my opinion.

19 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

If anything I think he is regimental and predictable but that may have been more to do with the available choice of players. Even so I thought his transfers were abysmal.  

5 hours ago, sanddancer said:

If anything I think he is regimental and predictable but that may have been more to do with the available choice of players. Even so I thought his transfers were abysmal.  

I agree I’m not a big fan either. I don’t like the way that he sticks to a fixed formation rather than accommodating the players that he has I know it is a bug bare of mine but I hate 532 and wingbacks…I love a marauding winger or an inside forward. 532 feels very old fashioned to me. 

As for his signings…I think most of us could see the flaws in them and for all the talk of Kieron Scott…I do think it’s Wilder that will have the last word on signings which is worrying. 

Sure we did have a bit of a new manager bounce and that was refreshing but it’s all gone a bit flat and I really don’t like the way that he turned on some of his players at the end of the season. He’s a manager and a coach and it’s his job to find the best formation for the players that he has rather than moaning about the players he’s got and expecting to spend big in the transfer window. 

I’d be inclined to give him a C minus and I’d be surprised if he is still here this time next season. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We looked to be improving under Wilder but derailed towards the end because we become very predictable, we had no creative midfielder in the middle of the park so everything went down the wings and teams realised that if they cut that danger out we then relied on a long ball game with strikers who were not good enough and strong enough.

Wilders signings, Balogun looked like a good signing on paper a young England under 21 coming from Arsenal with a good reputation but for some reason it didn't work out. Connolly was an awful signing didn't create anything didn't score goals a waste of a shirt but Wilder persevered with him rather than admit that the signing was a mistake. Riley McGree from what I've seen doesn't look a bad signing Boyd -Munce I haven't seen enough of to make a judgement.

The jury on here may be out on Wilder, but I'll wait till next season when he's brought players in to make a judgement, but whether  you like Wilder or not, no doubt about it his record at getting teams promoted is excellent. 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, atypical_boro said:

B for me. I think his remit is pretty clear next season - top 6 minimum. If not we part ways mutually much like we did with Pulis.

Pulis was out of contract.

Wilder would not be.

I'd like us to actually go back to patience with managers, unless the football and results are absolutely catastrophic.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Pulis was out of contract.

Wilder would not be.

I'd like us to actually go back to patience with managers, unless the football and results are absolutely catastrophic.

With social media and internet hyperbole how it is now, I can't imagine a scenario where we don't improve our league position next season, but where the most vocal supporters don't claim its down to the football and results being catastrophic. Patience with managers is a thing of the past, not just at this club. The Championship currently has 20 managers who've been in post for less than 2 years.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 5/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I agree I’m not a big fan either. I don’t like the way that he sticks to a fixed formation rather than accommodating the players that he has I know it is a bug bare of mine but I hate 532 and wingbacks…I love a marauding winger or an inside forward. 532 feels very old fashioned to me. 

As for his signings…I think most of us could see the flaws in them and for all the talk of Kieron Scott…I do think it’s Wilder that will have the last word on signings which is worrying. 

Sure we did have a bit of a new manager bounce and that was refreshing but it’s all gone a bit flat and I really don’t like the way that he turned on some of his players at the end of the season. He’s a manager and a coach and it’s his job to find the best formation for the players that he has rather than moaning about the players he’s got and expecting to spend big in the transfer window. 

I’d be inclined to give him a C minus and I’d be surprised if he is still here this time next season. 

I wasn’t far off. 

• Like 1