oneBoro Forum

Loss of a dog (my soulmate)

17 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

Any tips - I had to make the hard decision to put my beautiful dog to sleep on Sunday and finding ti really hard to come to terms with it. 

That’s a horrible situation @Youngy228. My dog passed away during the first lockdown. We had her 17 years and I still think I hear her sometimes. Take each day as it comes. It does get easier with time. Sorry for your loss mate

• Like 2

I’m sorry to hear that mate. I don’t have any quotes to try and cheer you up or stories of similar experience I just wanted to pass on my condolences. If you need an ear at any point just message me. Again I’m sorry for your loss 💙

• Like 2

Never easy taking that decision when the time comes. We lost one in November 2019 through Cancer and heart breaking doesn't even begin to describe it. She was only 11 and felt we were robbed of another few good years, her soulmate who was 12 just shut down and after spending thousands on him in Vets fees we had to let him go just 8 weeks later. He wouldn't eat or sleep and just started wasting away pining for her. 

We got two rescues, not to replace them as it's impossible but to offer another dog a chance or in this case two. We also got a Pup who thinks she rules the roost but the three get on really well and provide a lot of love and fun. There isn't a day goes by that as a family we don't think of the other two and how missing them still hurts. I have their ashes and we know that we should spread them somewhere but even now a few years later and it's hard just to think of doing that though I know that keeping them won't bring them back. 

Time doesn't heal it just gets gentler each passing month, the memories are the treasures they have left with you for comfort.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

youngy, i feel for you. i lost my wonderful companion on april 7th . he was almoost 14 so had a good innings but i was absolutely devastated and havent yet fully gotten over his parting. he was my best friend, loyal,loving and a joy to be with , i want to replace him but dont feel the need to compare, god even a kitten, as you know ive had health issues during the last year or so  as well as a seperation from my wife ,add to that a series of appliances giving out, 7 parking tickets,a speeding fine and serious debt problems. losing my dog was the icing on the cake but as said it gets easier even though the memories are close at hand. the poor thing had a series of problems in his last year, large lumpsthat needed checking but werent cancerous, then fleas picked up from building works going on opposite our house which irritated the hell out of him and during his last weeks he had severe constipation. the day he left us was traumatic as he gave out an amighty groan of pain and collapsed on his hinds , i picked him up and put him in his bed while i went out to local shop, when i returned he was  deceased. i cried for hours then ,because of finances being awful i couldnt afford to get the poor thing cremated so i had to dig a grave in the back garden and bury him. sorry for the self pity and sorry for your loss mate but treasure those memories and  remember your dog with pride.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
20 hours ago, Essuuaitch said:

youngy, i feel for you. i lost my wonderful companion on april 7th . he was almoost 14 so had a good innings but i was absolutely devastated and havent yet fully gotten over his parting. he was my best friend, loyal,loving and a joy to be with , i want to replace him but dont feel the need to compare, god even a kitten, as you know ive had health issues during the last year or so  as well as a seperation from my wife ,add to that a series of appliances giving out, 7 parking tickets,a speeding fine and serious debt problems. losing my dog was the icing on the cake but as said it gets easier even though the memories are close at hand. the poor thing had a series of problems in his last year, large lumpsthat needed checking but werent cancerous, then fleas picked up from building works going on opposite our house which irritated the hell out of him and during his last weeks he had severe constipation. the day he left us was traumatic as he gave out an amighty groan of pain and collapsed on his hinds , i picked him up and put him in his bed while i went out to local shop, when i returned he was  deceased. i cried for hours then ,because of finances being awful i couldnt afford to get the poor thing cremated so i had to dig a grave in the back garden and bury him. sorry for the self pity and sorry for your loss mate but treasure those memories and  remember your dog with pride.

Sorry for your loss and the circumstances around it.  I relied on my beautiful dog to be the stability in my life when everything else was a challenge.  He certainly was the stability.

I take comfort in the memories for sure - a few weeks on and I have made the decision to do it all again.  I'm not replacing him - just starting another chapter with another one.  I see it as a testament to the joy he gave me that I want to do it all again.

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...
On 5/24/2022 at 9:02 PM, Youngy228 said:

Any tips - I had to make the hard decision to put my beautiful dog to sleep on Sunday and finding ti really hard to come to terms with it. 

Mate, so sorry for your loss. That bond is so special, and what you did on Sunday was your final act of absolute love for your soulmate.

Think happy times that you spent together. Fun, laughs, cuddles and love, then when you picture them it becomes smiles instead of tears mate.

Got my first GSD when I was 6. He was my best friend for 10 beautiful years. I am 59 now, and I still think about him everyday.

Had several dogs since.

Just got a Working Cocker pup a year ago, and honestly, he lifts my heart every day.

You will know when the time is right, but until then, remember the great times you had.❤