oneBoro Forum

Rate The Signings: Sol Bamba

Rate The Signings: Sol Bamba  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How good of a signing was Sol?

I went for 5. 

Pros -

Couple of good games when we really needed it. 

Very likeable/fairytale type story.

Clearly a good influence to have around the squad. 

Cons

Very obviously not capable of 3 games a week - took up the squad spot of someone who could have been fit enough to manage this. I said at the time that I'd only be okay with the signing if he was down to 4th or 5th choice. He ended up being second choice - this isn't his fault, rather than an indictment of our recruitment as a whole last season. 

Couple of high profile errors (as a direct result of above) that cost us points. 

I voted 6 and I am being a little harsh I think.

A couple of costly errors have probably tainted my view a bit. In fairness to him I think some of that falls on the person picking him. Everyone could see he couldn’t play 3 in a week so it’s not surprising he struggled in that situation.

That said his leadership on and off the pitch and the fact that the majority of the time he put in good performances pushes him further up. He no doubt played a lot more than he expected and his experience showed.

I would have kept him around for the young lads.

• Like 1

Far exceeded expectations when asked to play, put in some man of the match performances and was clearly a very positive influence on the dressing room.

Also cost nothing but wages.

It's only not higher because of a few high profile mistakes and the fact he clearly and understandably couldn't play too many games in quick succession.

I wish we'd had him when he was younger.

• Like 1

Slightly past his best (given his age though, unsurprising) but came in not expecting to really play and ended up being a very important player for us (especially when Fry got injured.)

Absolute legend in the shootout against Man U, positive presence in the changing room and also, what a story.

• Like 1

7. He made a few errors but he also made countless interceptions and class tackles with aplomb. He was a pleasure to watch at times and defied the years. Ages catches up with all of us and he struggled in some games but in fairness he was only here to train and get fit but due to the state of the squad he ended up being a key component of it.

A Gentleman both on and off the pitch, a real credit to the game and will be remembered for years to come which considering the transient nature of his time here at Boro is testimony to the man. Hopefully some of the up and coming youth players will have learned a lot from him.

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Far exceeded expectations when asked to play, put in some man of the match performances and was clearly a very positive influence on the dressing room.

Also cost nothing but wages.

It's only not higher because of a few high profile mistakes and the fact he clearly and understandably couldn't play too many games in quick succession.

I wish we'd had him when he was younger.

Couldn't have put it into better words myself.

5/10

Once your strip away the sentimentality, and the automatic bump that every player over the age of about 32 apparently gets here, you're left with a player who started fewer than half the games, couldn't seriously put pressure on the first choice players for their spots, and had a mixed bag of performances for us - some where he was poor, some where he was good.  Clearly a good bloke but nobody has the faintest idea what his 'leadership' was like for us, so giving him marks for it is therefore impossible, although it certainly sounds good when you write it down.  The fact that DZ has used the word legend tells you everything you need to know, both about the signing and about DZ as a football fan.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

5/10

Once your strip away the sentimentality, and the automatic bump that every player over the age of about 32 apparently gets here, you're left with a player who started fewer than half the games, couldn't seriously put pressure on the first choice players for their spots, and had a mixed bag of performances for us - some where he was poor, some where he was good.  Clearly a good bloke but nobody has the faintest idea what his 'leadership' was like for us, so giving him marks for it is therefore impossible, although it certainly sounds good when you write it down.  The fact that DZ has used the word legend tells you everything you need to know, both about the signing and about DZ as a football fan.

Why should we strip away the sentiment. Most football fans are hugely emotionally invested in their clubs and players. I know being a Boro fan it would certainly be easier to be a robotic and joyless **** but that’s just not me. Also Wilder had said what a personality he is to have around the club and dressing room and a leader to a lot of the younger players But then again he’s only been involved in football for 40 years so what would he know 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Why should we strip away the sentiment. Most football fans are hugely emotionally invested in their clubs and players. I know being a Boro fan it would certainly be easier to be a robotic and joyless **** but that’s just not me. Also Wilder had said what a personality he is to have around the club and dressing room and a leader to a lot of the younger players But then again he’s only been involved in football for 40 years so what would he know 🤷‍♂️

Because sentiment has no place in analysing a football player. "Oh, I really liked the guy so the fact that he was a poor player doesn't really matter".  Well yeah of course it does, and it's silly to suggest otherwise.

If you want me to extend that further then I'd also say that there is no reason for any sentiment regarding Sol Bamba at this football club.  He's been here for a season and started less than 20 games, and certainly wasn't brilliant for them all.  This wasn't an especially memorable season - we didn't get promoted or reach a cup final for example - we didn't even make the play offs.  There have been hundreds of players who have done more at this football club, and would never have the word legend attached to them under any circumstances.  I mean Cyrus Christie and Ryan Shotton played more games and more minutes when we finished 5th under Pulis so presumably they are even more highly regarded than Bamba is?  For that matter, Sporar and Bola, played more minutes this season than Bamba so I assume the same applies to them?

I don't care what his personality was like around the dressing room because I don't see that, nobody else on here sees it either, so how can you or I use it to judge someone?  That he is a decent bloke who might be a positive influence on people, and good to have around, isn't in dispute from me.  I just don't see how it can be used to judge a signing, when we don't see any of it, and there are no tangible results of it.  Have we had players improve because of his influence?  I can't say I've seen it if we have so what are we talking about exactly? 

The thread is about the signing he has been.  The signing he has been is a player who played some good games and some bad games.  But he only started 18 games, and was never in contention to play when the three first choice players were fit, which means we had no real competition for places.  I'm sure nobody will give a crap whether Joe Lumley is a nice fella when it comes to grading him so why does it matter for Sol Bamba?  The answer is that it really doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Because sentiment has no place in analysing a football player. "Oh, I really liked the guy so the fact that he was a poor player doesn't really matter".  Well yeah of course it does, and it's silly to suggest otherwise.

If you want me to extend that further then I'd also say that there is no reason for any sentiment regarding Sol Bamba at this football club.  He's been here for a season and started less than 20 games, and certainly wasn't brilliant for them all.  This wasn't an especially memorable season - we didn't get promoted or reach a cup final for example - we didn't even make the play offs.  There have been hundreds of players who have done more at this football club, and would never have the word legend attached to them under any circumstances.  I mean Cyrus Christie and Ryan Shotton played more games and more minutes when we finished 5th under Pulis so presumably they are even more highly regarded than Bamba is?  For that matter, Sporar and Bola, played more minutes this season than Bamba so I assume the same applies to them?

I don't care what his personality was like around the dressing room because I don't see that, nobody else on here sees it either, so how can you or I use it to judge someone?  That he is a decent bloke who might be a positive influence on people, and good to have around, isn't in dispute from me.  I just don't see how it can be used to judge a signing, when we don't see any of it, and there are no tangible results of it.  Have we had players improve because of his influence?  I can't say I've seen it if we have so what are we talking about exactly? 

The thread is about the signing he has been.  The signing he has been is a player who played some good games and some bad games.  But he only started 18 games, and was never in contention to play when the three first choice players were fit, which means we had no real competition for places.  I'm sure nobody will give a crap whether Joe Lumley is a nice fella when it comes to grading him so why does it matter for Sol Bamba?  The answer is that it really doesn't. 

Yeah. I’m not going to read that after the first sentence 🤣😂🤣

When he signed, I expected Bamba to be a 0.  He has totally surpassed my expectations.  I am disappointed that he isn't staying on - I'd hoped we would keep him on in a player-coach role as I think he would have excelled in that sort of role.