oneBoro Forum

Woodgate deserves credit

2 minutes ago, AllBoro10 said:

All the evidence and Woodgate comments seem to suggest that yes 

plus woodgate had moved on from being a scout under pullis so doubt he was scouting for the club at that point

• Like 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woodgate just didn’t have the ability to manage a club of our size at that stage of his career. Whether that changes remains to be seen, but he was nothing less than an unmitigated disaster during his

Woodgate should never have been appointed in the first instance. During the summer we were talking about serious Managers maybe being attracted to Boro then this PowerPoint and the best Candidate spin

Loaning players from City is a fairly calculated risk and even then Roberts literally dropped into League One before doing anything of note.    Bola, Dijksteel and Spence were all part of the g

Posted Images

Woodgate just didn’t have the ability to manage a club of our size at that stage of his career. Whether that changes remains to be seen, but he was nothing less than an unmitigated disaster during his spell. 

From his perspective I suppose you grab the chance with both hands if it’s presented to you. I can only imagine he genuinely thought he was capable. No excuse from Gibson though. An awful, awful, cheap decision.

• Like 6

seems to me Bevington was the one thrown under the bus,  woodgate was a disaster and whats worse is that it wasnt a suprise but hey ho  being given the job was puely a vanity project by steve gibson, despite all the forewarnings.  it was maybe the reason why there is a  doubt cast on many over  how highly respected SG is within his role. 

• Like 1

Fact Bevington through Woodgate under the bus , remember the big media attendance were he told everyone we are going to create the Middlesbrough way, attacking entertaining , fans off their seats , success, all this with no squad worth it's way, talk about pressure on a new young manager, that many didn't want for what ever reason , talk about I'm screwed already.

12 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

seems to me Bevington was the one thrown under the bus,  woodgate was a disaster and whats worse is that it wasnt a suprise but hey ho  being given the job was puely a vanity project by steve gibson, despite all the forewarnings.  it was maybe the reason why there is a  doubt cast on many over  how highly respected SG is within his role. 

yeah I think he severely underestimated the challenge that was ahead of us. Think he thought this is definitely a non promotion year, woodgate will be more than grateful and won't rock the boat (publicly at least), which allows them to finish midtable and get the last big contracts off the books without adding any, then he either intended to back him or get someone else in. I don't think that season we were an appealing option to any good managers looking for a club to promote, but the way it was setup was doomed to fail. he did at least show some promise at Bournemouth when he had more quality at his disposal so I do think that's part lessons learnt at our expense but also maybe he wouldn't of done as bad as he did if we did back him and give him a decent backroom staff. I do think his team choice on his post lockdown return though undone any of the promises he said he had with Steve (no one would have ever predicted that line up he put out with full squad fit - i think even gibson looked at it and thought really? wtaf), I also think that when he publicly mentioned the same promises while he was in the job that will of not went down well too basically saying if we get relegated we are keeping him on - I feel if that was true he cost himself that chance by outing it, last thing most fans wanted to hear when offers of early bird season tickets were being touted was if we go down he's staying on, sometimes as well I imagine what owners/the board say to the manager can often be what they think they need to hear to keep them in the headspace to do well, just like a manager will say or promise things to players that don't materialise but were needed to be said at the time to get what we needed out of them at the time, managers are no different and you can't really say to them well I've actually just been speaking to warnock you got a game or two to turn it around, thats all that would be in his head rather than the task at hand, so I put them promises down to what he needed to hear at the time and results and team selection changed that to gibson thinking *** we actually going to go down here, rather than backing him thinking he was gonna stay up (knowing he hadn't had much of a chance to start with)

Woodgate should never have been appointed in the first instance. During the summer we were talking about serious Managers maybe being attracted to Boro then this PowerPoint and the best Candidate spin was released with the news that Woodgate was the stand out interview. It was nonsense at the time but a few gullible fans sucked it up and the pantomime press conference confirmed it for me that it was a cheap bodged job designed to pull the wool over the fans eyes.

Woodgate bless him possibly believed that he really was the best option for the job but his backroom staff was a farce especially with one obvious absentee who probably would have been the missing part of the jigsaw if it was ever going to have a cat in hell's chance of spluttering along let alone crashing. 

Bevington should never have been given the role he was in and neither should Woodgate. The concerns over Bausor and his credentials have raised plenty of eyebrows over the years amongst fans but the one common denominator in all this is the man at the top who oversaw everything. If you believe Woodgate was capable of putting a PowerPoint presentation together then you probably believe he scouted Dijksteel and Bola, if you think he was a mere puppet then it was more likely Bevington who had some input on the pair of them. To me it's a bit like arguing who is the better out of Bettinelli and Lumley.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Will said:

Is what good enough? Him acknowledging that there are other people involved? What are you arguing here, that Woody wasn't the sole person involved in the transfers? If you are, I agree with you. Just the way he has phrased that answer makes it clear that the signings were his idea, he's just passing on some credit to others that were involved.

I think the signings were other people's ideas, specifically the scouting department, who probably put Woodgate onto the players in the first place.  When Woodgate was up for the job he wanted them and included them in his presentation, then when he got the job he made sure the club pursued them.  Bevington got the deals done.  I don't think it's any more complicated than that really.  I don't believe Woodgate spotted them initially though, that's just my take on it.

7 hours ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

The problem was he was then *only* given "ones for the future" and left with a tiny squad with very little experience. As a policy, it works well if built up over a number of years as we're hopefully starting to see a little more these days.

I think you could maybe make the case that the squad was on the small side but very little experience I'm not so sure about.  Randolph, Ayala, Friend, Clayton, Saville, McNair, Howson, Shotton, Johnson, Assombalonga, Gestede wouldn't be inexperienced players.  You can say that Fry, Tavernier, Coulson, Pears, Fletcher, Wing were less experienced albeit there was clearly some talent there.  I haven't included Spence or any of the signings we made permanently or on loan either.  

13 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I think you could maybe make the case that the squad was on the small side but very little experience I'm not so sure about.  Randolph, Ayala, Friend, Clayton, Saville, McNair, Howson, Shotton, Johnson, Assombalonga, Gestede wouldn't be inexperienced players.  You can say that Fry, Tavernier, Coulson, Pears, Fletcher, Wing were less experienced albeit there was clearly some talent there.  I haven't included Spence or any of the signings we made permanently or on loan either.  

Don’t say the G name, only just got that signing out of my head 

15 hours ago, Changing Times said:

yeah he wasn't backed but had a decent starting point to at least be mid table and not in relegation zone, I believe that was the intention of the board, transitional season where the high earners contracts are finished and moved off the books and players we brought in settle in and start to get better so he had freed up ffp budget for the following years, but obviously didn't work out that way lol

On 6/13/2022 at 12:06 AM, kentucky said:

Signing the likes of Bola, , Dyksteel and giving Spence his chance , even Roberts and Moukoudi have had dencent careers now. Nmeche top scorer in Belgium I believe.

Remember he was scouting for Liverpool when he came back,maybe he could be used in that type of capacity.

I think he is very much suited to that kind of role.

I'll never forget when he said "I wanted them to play out from the back but I didn't have the players". 

He seemed to forget he was part of the coaching structure for a couple of years before that so saw most of the players each day so should've been aware of their strengths.

If Woodgate was unlucky, Warnock must be very lucky as he had a tune out of the same players within weeks.