oneBoro Forum

Rate the signing Connolly

Rate the signing: Connolly   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rate The Signing

2. I feel he leaves us with a damaged reputation. I had high hopes for him when he signed and thought there were encouraging signs in the first couple of games where despite not doing a lot he was getting chances. That gradually got worse throughout the season and I felt was a red card waiting to happen (although he didn't receive one). Then he had the infamous video with some of the locals that probably endear himself too well to the Boro faithful. 

I will always remember what could have been the defining moment in the season that could have earnt some brownie points for his reputation. I think it was the last minute chance against Swansea where he hit the post. That could have got us into the playoffs and who knows what it could have done for the season.

Voted 5, but I think 4 would be more accurate on reflection.

Came with a bad reputation for off the field issues, he only added to that when he got here.

Worked hard on the pitch, but very little came off for him .

2 heavily deflected goals.

Would not have him back.

3 for me. He wasn't as bad as some made out but he was brought in to help solve the goalscoring problem and he didn't do an awful lot to achieve that. Still, he was a feisty little ***, if you could take his energy levels and fitness and give them to Watmore, we'd have a more consistent player on our hands.

The goal he actually scored when he was offside felt like if it had actually counted then he might have kicked on, he always had it hanging over him that even the goals he had attributed to him were very fortunate.

Either way, he'll be better remembered for his time in Pally Park.

• Like 1

1. he looked like a fan who won a competition to play with the team at the start. shocking player. eventually improved and looked like he might do okay for stockton town if he was lucky enough to get a chance to play in england ever again. 

7 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Just not very good, was he?

Juninho got away with shagging the local lasses because he delivered on the pitch. 

Also there weren't camera phones back then

I got told Juninho went round the back of a pub with one girl but couldn't find any step ladders so had to abandon the idea.

The 9 wasnt me, I promise. 

Gave him a 4, worked hard, showed some half decent quality at times but after a few games in a row where he looked a handy striker at this level his head just completely dropped. Never stopped trying but had serious confidence issues which prevented him being effective for us.

Still think he'll go on to be at least a championship level striker, he's only 6 months older than Jones was when he broke into our team. Probably needs a permenant move to a midtable championship team with less pressure to kick on. 

• Like 1

I really couldn’t care what his reputation was before he came - most off the field stuff doesn’t bother me and has no reflection on a players ability.

Judging him on what we saw he was a bloody awful signing.

Ran around. Fell down. Waved his arms.

Attitude of Paul Dickov ability of Lee Dong Gook.

Got credited with two goals and that alone has boosted his rating.

2/10.

2. Thought he was rubbish. Not giving him extra points for working hard, that is a fundamental expectation for a footballer earning a small fortune for a job which many would love to do.

Obviously Wilder knows a lot better than I do, but I found it baffling that he continued to persevere with him despite being the most out of form of our 5 strikers, so I have sympathy for him there, but I'd be surprised if many Championship teams will have seen his 4 months here and will want to bring him in on that showing.

2.5/10

I had to round it up to a 3/10 for the vote but I'd prefer to have given him the 2.5.  I marked him lower than Balogun because I felt like he had less of an impact despite being given more minutes but higher than Hernandez cos he probably just had more of an impact than he did.  He certainly wasn't alone in missing some easy chances for us, and it's hard to really pinpoint what he's meant to be good at.  People say he works hard but to me Watmore worked harder than him so I'm not even sure if he was all that or just looked like a hard worker in comparison to other players we have or had previously.  Wilder obviously liked something about him, which is why he got as much game time as he did after he signed before Wilder changed his mind toward the end of the season.  Just another of last season's transfers that didn't work out 🤷‍♂️

2/10

Unlike Grimsby I think off field shenanigans does affects your average players attitude, dedication and professionalism which then manifests on the pitch. There are a very small few who do manage to conduct questionable off field behaviour and associations yet still perform (Best, Gazza, Merson) but you have to be really special to do that and Connolly is most certainly not in that category.

For me the problem with Connolly is that he believed his own hype but consistently failed to deliver (here and at Brighton) which wasn't surprising but raises questions on Wilder/Scott/Bausor or whoever sanctioned the move and how much research they did/didn't do or gambled on?

Sporar wasn't great but far better than Connolly (and Balogun) yet was dropped in favour of the two loans. Crikey Sporar even took penalties! Overall a predictable waste of a shirt and unless Aaron gets his head in gear now his career will plummet to the footballing depths. I can only conclude that there was something contractually worrying about Sporar that made Wilder keep picking Connolly. If there wasn't then I'm more concerned about Wilder than I ever was about Connolly.

His fellow Countryman Troy Parrot also needs to think about his off field company and associations for the same reasons. Negative influences and behaviour drag people down in all walks of life.

We've made worse signings in the last 5 years. I gave him 2 but 3 is probably fairer. He's on a long slide down to nowhere. He tried for a while. He was a really bad misjudgement. Up there with JLS in that respect.