oneBoro Forum

Rate the signing McGree

Rate the signing   

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rate The Signing

20 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Think this is the last before the elves start number crunching or have I missed someone

anyways you know the drill rate the signing?

What about Sporar the explorer, big Uche, and the invisible man?  Don't they count you heartless swine?

I've done the number crunching already.  They tell me that people on here are mental.

• Angry 1

5/10

I can't really score any higher than that at this stage because we really haven't seen that much of him so far.  I think he only started about half a dozen games for us?  He looked like a tidy passer of the ball but I felt he was picking some easy ones a bit too often for my liking, and not really pushing us forward in the way we were looking for.  That's a bit of a shame cos I do think he has an eye for a pass but if he plays too much safety first stuff then we might not get as much out of him as could be there.  That being said, he's clearly up for a go at goal, some of his passing I thought was very nice - there was a quality little ball for Connolly, at Swansea perhaps, that showed what we might be able to see from him on a more regular basis.  Simply because of the lack of game time I think 5/10 is fair at this stage but if you were looking this time next year then hopefully that would be closer to 8/10.

• Like 1

He's looked bright in spells, seems to have decent vision and passing capability. Unsure if he fits into a higher intensity game and by no means would I consider him a like-for-like replacement for Tav even if Tav goes and he slots into his place.

Still a young player though who has been well thought of within this division and has shown sparks of what might be here. We might be onto a winner with this one in the long-term, hope he kicks on in pre-season... though he might be one of the late returns given his international commitments.

Really bright start but Covid and international absences meant he missed a crucial 6 weeks and then took a some time to rebuild his sharpness. Has shown an eye for goal and really good passing range. I think he potentially is a better option than Tav on the left of midfield going forward but Tav is better defensively there.  Two goals in 7 starts is an excellent return. 

Undoubtedly our best January recruitment but that is a low bar.

Rated him 7 but as a signing he should probably only be a 4-5 so far because absences meant he didn't have the impact we needed from him. Medium term, I suspect he'll prove to be a really good signing.

I went with 5, could've probably been a 6 with his goal/assist contribution in the short period of time since joining. Not entirely sure where he fits long term but thankfully it's not my job to work that out. Seems like a classy player who strikes the ball very cleanly and has a good eye for a pass, excited to see more from him.

I think we've seen just enough of him to know that he's going to be an important player for us next season. 

Has made enough of an impact in the few appearances he's had for us so far, intelligent balls, linked up well with the strikers and not afraid to shoot, all good signs.

Going to the World Cup will be good for him as well, especially as the leagues are paused for it and he shouldn't miss any games for us as a result.

gave him an optimistic 6. don't think he really offered anything in the season tbh, but there were definitely signs that he's gonna be good player for us. Just got injured early doors I guess and didn't really get a chance to get back to full beans

1 hour ago, chickenlunch said:

gave him an optimistic 6. don't think he really offered anything in the season tbh, but there were definitely signs that he's gonna be good player for us. Just got injured early doors I guess and didn't really get a chance to get back to full beans

He scored 2 in 10 appearances which is better than Connolly, and he was one of our strikers!

Was going to be a 6 but with Celtic continually letting us know on a regular basis how they aren't bothered that he didn't sign for them I gave him an extra mark.

Good in flashes but set back by that freak injury when it looked like he was going to break into the team. Still I like what I have seen so far and hopefully he can steer clear of injury next season. 

He can do a job. He's nothing special and probably not good enough to be a regular starter for a team with promotion ambitions as a central midfielder but he's got some decent attributes and he's a bit different to the other midfield options bar maybe payero. Steady 5.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:52 PM, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

He can do a job. He's nothing special and probably not good enough to be a regular starter for a team with promotion ambitions as a central midfielder but he's got some decent attributes and he's a bit different to the other midfield options bar maybe payero. Steady 5.

Have to disagree with you there.  Have seen a lot of McGree  playing in Australia and also with Birmingham prior to joining Boro, he is much more than a run of the mill midfielder, has great vision and attacking instincts if allowed to get forward.

I see him playing in the Premier League before too long.