Keeper Poll

Which Goalie would you prefer?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Wisely!

• Darlow
    • Iversen
    • Butland
    • Steffen

I voted Iversen - but only if it was a permanent deal.

Steffen is a good GK, but I'd prefer to buy a good young keeper rather than loan. Butland or Darlow would be other options I'd be happy with as purchases.

I've picked Darlow purely because I think we need an experienced Championship keeper this season, and I think Iverson would be too expensive.

I see the rationale behind Steffen, he's City's #2 for a good reason, plus he can play sweeper keeper which is what Wilder wants (and I don't believe Darlow can.)

I've went with Iversen because I'd sooner we had a permanent keeper who could establish himself as our number one long term.

Steffen might be great, but he'll only be great for a season with us.

Iversen

proven ability in the Championship

Fans player of the season at Preston 2021/22

Players player of the season at Preston 2021/22

Tom Finney trophy winner Preston 2021/22

Height

Catches the ball rather than a puncher in the main

Commands his box well

Excellent shot stopper

Less error prone

Has had more recent game time and performed to a very high standard consistently.

The only negative I see is he hasn’t been used as a sweeper keeper, more a traditional type.

He ticks more boxes and leaves fewer question marks.

• Like 1

Butland would be my choice. If he can recapture his best form, he’d be the best keeper out of that lot by an absolute stretch. Obviously the question remains whether he can recapture that form.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Butland would be my choice. If he can recapture his best form, he’d be the best keeper out of that lot by an absolute stretch. Obviously the question remains whether he can recapture that form.

I have an ex-work colleague who is a Stoke season ticket holder for over twenty years and let's just say that his opinion on Butland isn't exactly glowing. I think he actually epitomises what Wilder was saying about attitude over ability, a Keeper with great ability but whose attitude and application just fell away believing in his own hype.

STEFFEN for me, he would send out a message that we are major players in this league. all 3 others have thier plus points but the ambition in signing steffen outweighs thier positives.

• Like 1

I went for Steffen as he’s the right type of keeper for a team that wants to play out from the back and I’m sick to death of long punts upfield.

The fact that it’s a year long loan doesn’t bother me, as Roberts will have had a year at the club and may well be able to make the leap from league 1 to championship. 

• Like 2

steffen, butland is terrible, darlow is a mag. so iverson or steffen, i went for the more experienced keeper of them two. though iverson has played in this league. steffen is overall likely the better option.

5 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I think it's amazing people still call them IversOn and SteffAn - When it's painfully clear that it is Iversen and Steffen 🙃

The weird one for me is how many people I see writing Coulsen.

At least with Iverson, it's just people mistakenly defaulting to the more common English patronymic ending rather than the Danish one.

Coulsen makes no sense.

• Like 1