oneBoro Forum

Chris Wilder Q&A Suggestions

What's his oneBoro profile name?

In all seriousness, there's a question to be asked about whether Wilder and his team pay any attention to fan forums, social media etc, or whether they disregard it entirely. I wouldn't expect them to make decisions based on oneBoro threads or Twitter chat, but it's easy to look out of touch (and even arrogant) if you end up disregarding overwhelming public opinion on something.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TeaCider24 mentioned a lot of this in the other thread too but this is what I got from it jotted down in my notepad. First of all, does he read the forums? NO. He sounds like he's expecting

My takes on tonights Q&A. Apologies if the others who went havr covered this elsewhere. Wilder really doesn't like Warnock. Was happy to talk about out other recent managers, but wouldn't say

Ask him which club he think he'll try and jump ship to this season.

Does he believe that relying heavily on expensive loans in key positions is conducive with the long term strategy that both him and Kieran Scott stated was the aim when they were hired? And additionally, does he think having to wait for these loans until the end of the window is the best preparation for a promotion chasing team?

Edited by Will
  • Like 3

Not one I'd like to ask myself if I had the chance, I expect it would get a testy response, but one I'd like to know the answer to.

Does he think it was a mistake to not include Ikpeazu and Akpom in our full pre-season with our striker options being so short and our current failure to bring in replacements?

• Like 1

How many players do you think we are from your preferred squad?

Taking into consideration existing contract lengths, loan players and continued interest in one of our own players, the number of players available in the first-team squad at the start of next season is looking like it will be about 12/13 players, including Uche Ikpeazu and Martin Payero who have barely been involved in pre-season. So how important do you think it is this summer to add long-term signings to the squad?

TeaCider24 mentioned a lot of this in the other thread too but this is what I got from it jotted down in my notepad.

First of all, does he read the forums? NO.

He sounds like he's expecting movement this week, 3-4 in by Saturday is the hope. I'm not convinced by how confident he sounded but that might just be myself.

Worth bearing in mind one of those could be Tommy Smith of course, who Wilder couldn't seemingly want to be part of our squad any more. Said he's exactly the right character for the club, the right kind of player to push Jones to be his best and also praised his versatility.

On Akpom, he said he's still contracted so why not use him? He said it won't be the first time a player out in the cold comes back but he was quite open about the idea of letting him leave if the offer comes in for him. I think he said Akpom himself had asked to train with the group and try get involved so kudos to him for that.

On the U23s, he was relatively blunt. He's really happy to have got the young lads involved with the first team in the summer and will definitely not leave any gaps on his bench so may have to bring a young lad through at some point. He made a specific comment about Finch being involved on the bench during the Marseille game, how that can help a young player. But when asked who's closest to breaking through? Nada. The main point he got across here is that they have to be good enough to play in a team at the top of the Championship. So essentially, they're not.

On the tactical side of things, he was asked by Gordon Cox about adaptability and the nature of having a Plan B. His response was 'Be really good at Plan A'. But he elaborated about the top teams at the top level, they don't sit and worry about what formation or style they want to play very much on a game-by-game basis, they work hard on being the best at the way they want to play and that's what he wants us to do. 

I asked the big question I put above this, on the squad size and to be honest, whilst he talks about the club from a short, medium and long-term point of view, I think he is perhaps more laser-focused on the short-term than perhaps even he may see at times. He started by saying how we got it wrong with loans in January (but caveated that by saying we got blown out of the water on a couple of loan deals on players we wanted more) but if he sees a player who will improve the first team a lot, he's happy for us to spend a bit more to bring them in. In his own words, he's worried about winning on Saturday when he's picking his teams. But he did kind of admit as well if we can spend a bit on some permanent transfers that we can bring in and improve then that's part of what he's here to do. Dunno, he waffled a little about it so it was hard to get a strong viewpoint on it but I don't think he's as concerned as some of us are about spending the money in the loan market vs. permanent transfers, I think first and foremost he just wants good players who make his team better on matchdays right now.

That's the big lot I got but here are a few little tidbits I picked up on during the night...

When spoken to about goalkeepers, he made a comment about last year saying 'the goalkeeper's next save will be the first'. Clearly wasn't pleased with the output by the keepers.

Tavernier has NOT asked Chris Wilder to leave and is in his plans for Saturday. You get the feeling he knows there's interest but the player himself hasn't outright told the manager himself that he wants to leave, according to CW.

Made mentions of how we have to stave off interest as we increase the value of our players, mentioning interest in Tav, Fry, Jones and McNair.

In the market, he mentioned there's offers in for 1-2 Europeans but we have to compete with European clubs for them. And also said we're looking at 1-2 young lads in the Prem on loan.

Possibly related to Gyokeres but mentioned us being quoted £15-20m for a Championship striker who's never broken 25 goals at this level and has never played in the Prem.

Someone outright asked him on Adam Armstrong and the conclusion is to put 2+2 together from us being interested in forwards who score goals at this level. It's a definite yes as to us being interested in my books, as coy as Wilder wanted to be on it.

Uche has no chance here, he doesn't fit, he's a very good lad and will get recommended when someone asks about him for that but he just doesn't fit what we want to do and it's a real shame for him.

He said they have put no-phone areas in the gym and dining area to get the players to talk to each other more. Essentially bemoaned the modern day footballer in many respects, says there are certain things you have to allow for and adapt to as a manager as much as you don't like them but we try to change their habits just a little bit in order to get them speaking to one another.

Also a last comment I noted down... there was some discussion about the Derby situation and clubs potentially going under, how they have to spend responsibly and how Gibson won't let that happen etc. but he did say he feels like supporters are the true owners of the club because everyone else involved are just custodians until a certain time, including Gibson.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

My takes on tonights Q&A. Apologies if the others who went havr covered this elsewhere.

Wilder really doesn't like Warnock. Was happy to talk about out other recent managers, but wouldn't say NW's name. Said "don't get me started or I'll get in trouble". I'd love to know the details.

He hates the players music (they should play the clash and Paul Weller in his opinion). Says they're always on their phones in the dressing room. He's banned phones in the resteraunt area and in the gym to try and get the players talking to each other.

Said we are after a couple of Europeans, but european clubs also in for them. We may have new signings in before the weekend

Said fans gave Sporar too easy a ride and he should have done more.

When asked if he would have any of last seasons loanees back. It was a flat "no".

Tav hasn't been to him asking to leave. But the club would consider any bids coming in.

Uche isn't in his plans due to mobility and other tactical reasons, but he is a nice guy. He can't just play nice guys though or he'd just have all his mates from Sheffield up playing. I think he said Uche had an option to leave (but i may be mixing this up with another player).

On Payero, said Martin had been unlucky, but that he couldn't wait for him. Said the club and martin thought it best for him to go back to Argentina to get playing again. Still a Boro asset and Wilder will never say never.

Akpom. He said it was up to Akpom to force his way back into contention. Played him on Fri because he's a Boro player, so why shouldn't he.

He doesn't read the forum or use any social media.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, boro-unger said:

My takes on tonights Q&A. Apologies if the others who went havr covered this elsewhere.

Wilder really doesn't like Warnock. Was happy to talk about out other recent managers, but wouldn't say NW's name. Said "don't get me started or I'll get in trouble". I'd love to know the details.

He hates the players music (they should play the clash and Paul Weller in his opinion). Says they're always on their phones in the dressing room. He's banned phones in the resteraunt area and in the gym to try and get the players talking to each other.

Said we are after a couple of Europeans, but european clubs also in for them. We may have new signings in before the weekend

Said fans gave Sporar too easy a ride and he should have done more.

When asked if he would have any of last seasons loanees back. It was a flat "no".

Tav hasn't been to him asking to leave. But the club would consider any bids coming in.

Uche isn't in his plans due to mobility and other tactical reasons, but he is a nice guy. He can't just play nice guys though or he'd just have all his mates from Sheffield up playing. I think he said Uche had an option to leave (but i may be mixing this up with another player).

On Payero, said Martin had been unlucky, but that he couldn't wait for him. Said the club and martin thought it best for him to go back to Argentina to get playing again. Still a Boro asset and Wilder will never say never.

Akpom. He said it was up to Akpom to force his way back into contention. Played him on Fri because he's a Boro player, so why shouldn't he.

He doesn't read the forum or use any social media.

He just gets me 

I enjoyed last night, thought he was honest & upfront, humerous too

The lad who spoke & sid I know you were upset at missing out on Connelly was a good un, brought a laugh to the room, thought Wilder appreciated it too

I dont think a question regarding Lumley needed to be asked, things that were said between the two of them should remain between them two, glad he didnt reply really

2 minutes ago, Erimus74 said:

I enjoyed last night, thought he was honest & upfront, humerous too

The lad who spoke & sid I know you were upset at missing out on Connelly was a good un, brought a laugh to the room, thought Wilder appreciated it too

I dont think a question regarding Lumley needed to be asked, things that were said between the two of them should remain between them two, glad he didnt reply really

Yeah the Lumley question was treat with some groans wasn't it. Wilder, despite having joked about the keepers, it's nothing personal for him and he said Joe always tried his hardest and to be honest, I think we saw that. Quite similar to Uche really, his quality in the game we want to play was the problem. But his commitment to the cause was never in doubt, so it was a bit of a low blow trying to pull him up with the manager.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Yeah the Lumley question was treat with some groans wasn't it. Wilder, despite having joked about the keepers, it's nothing personal for him and he said Joe always tried his hardest and to be honest, I think we saw that. Quite similar to Uche really, his quality in the game we want to play was the problem. But his commitment to the cause was never in doubt, so it was a bit of a low blow trying to pull him up with the manager.

Yep agree with that,