oneBoro Forum

Boro vs West Brom 1-1 (Jones)

Jones' goal was brilliantly worked, but that was our best bit of attacking play all game.

Still look prone to tiring in the second half and Boro were hanging on for a point towards the end.

Need to bring in reinforcements and get them bedded in so they can play effectively as a team. Many problems from last season still evident: slow and ponderous in possession, giving the ball away too easily and generally disjointed play where the lads stand around staring at the fella on the ball, instead of making runs to give them passing options, or open up the opposition defence.

Aside from that, the usual start of season stuff: its early days, still time to work on things, strengthen the squad etc. Give it 10 games and see where we are...

• Like 3
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally think there were more positives than negatives there.  To play a team that will probably be top 6 with so many holes in the squad and still outperform them quite significantly in large

Boro vs West Bromwich Albion Riverside Stadium, 5.30pm, Saturday the 30th of July, in the year of our Lord 2022 And so dear reader, here we are once again. The dawn of a new season – that gl

I’ve never really understood this ‘My Type’ thing 🤷‍♂️   At this stage of my life, as long as she has more teeth than kids and most of her tattoos are spelt correctly I’m good to go 👍

Posted Images

Positives:

- Excellent first half

- Giles looked superb

- Steffen is definitely an improvement to Lumley

- Akpom showed that he has something to offer

Negatives:

- Horrible second half

- Looked tired pretty much the whole of the second half - especially in midfield

- Missed Tav’s energy in the second half

- Watmore is terrible

- Lenihan got bullied in the second half 

- Can’t get my head around why Jones has stopped running at full backs and constantly tries to squeeze crosses through their legs instead

• Like 8

That second half was abysmal!

No way are we getting anything more than mid table, strike force non existent, Lenihan too slow, McGree poor no way is he Tav’s replacement.

Swift and Dike are signings we should’ve pounced on but didn’t because our back room team are still a bunch of absolute clowns!

• Haha 8
  • Confused 2

Disappointed to end up drawing, but the positives are clear;

- WBA underwhelming (this game and last season), but still 'good' opposition; you would expect them to be fighting for top 6, so a draw isn't a disgrace by any means

- A lot of our build up play was excellent at times, really promising for the system through the season

- The support was superb

- Our strike-force is weak, but we know we'll be strengthening here in the coming week

- Our depth off the bench is weak also, but we know this is being targeted for reinforcements too

Grind through some tough matches in August and stay in the mix and we then go into September with a complete squad and far more favourable fixture list. UTB.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Positives:

- Excellent first half

- Giles looked superb

- Steffen is definitely an improvement to Lumley

- Akpom showed that he has something to offer

Negatives:

- Horrible second half

- Looked tired pretty much the whole of the second half - especially in midfield

- Missed Tav’s energy in the second half

- Watmore is terrible

- Lenihan got bullied in the second half 

- Can’t get my head around why Jones has stopped running at full backs and constantly tries to squeeze crosses through their legs instead

Being fair to lenihan that guy is strong as an ox.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ogbeche173 said:

That second half was abysmal!

No way are we getting anything more than mid table, strike force non existent, Lenihan too slow, McGree poor no way is he Tav’s replacement.

Swift and Dike are signings we should’ve pounced on but didn’t because our back room team are still a bunch of absolute clowns!

Ha ha.  Mid table..  Game 1 and that’s your take on the rest of the season. Mental

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'll take a point against a side with similar ambitions to us - and one that has done most of their business while we still have areas to strengthen.

And strengthen we have to... Cos that central midfield and forward line isn't mounting a promotion challenge.

• Like 5

To be fair to Mcgree, there is a bit of added pressure on him now and Tav has had plenty of games just like that.

Give the lad 3 or 4 games to get fully match sharp and judge him then.

• Like 2
Just now, SA Red said:

To be fair to Mcgree, there is a bit of added pressure on him now and Tav has had plenty of games just like that.

Give the lad 3 or 4 games to get full match sharp and judge him then.

he's also been playing/training in a more advanced role for the last few weeks

• Like 1

Disappointed with that, we definitely had the chances to win it, the same can't be said of WB. A half decent centre forward would compensate for some of our other failings, but overall a positive start against a team that will be up there.

Ryan Giles looks to be a good addition, lenihan too was mostly dominant, now can we invest the rest of the transfer money as wisely... 

UTB

• Like 1

Worth noting how many chances were wasted first half. Wouldn't surprise me if our enablers in midfield and at wing-back lost confidence in the front line as the game went on and it effected their decision making a little. Better finishing early doors and we win that game comfortably by 2 or 3, enabling a far more measured 2nd half performance. It's not a bad thing that our weaknesses are glaringly obvious, alongside our potential being undeniable.

Edited by 2plus2
  • Like 5
  • Downsouth changed the title to Boro vs West Brom 1-1 (Jones)