oneBoro Forum

QPR v Boro 3-2 (Crooks, Forss)

Will we have any new signings in time for this match?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will we have any new signings in time for this match?

• Yes, keep the faith
    • No, time to meltdown

6 minutes ago, Leesider said:

I really dont understand that arguement at all. Surely its better to get players in early,get a proper preseason & get off to a flying start.

As far as i know the 3 points for a win is the same in August or April.

How often do we hear managers talking about not having enough time on the training ground because of the hectic schedule.Preseason is vital,Gelling the group is vital,Team bonding is vital.A good start is better than a poor one.We have had a very poor one largely because the recruitment has been so slow.

As regards Mc Nair,theres been loads of posters suggesting he should be sold.

Of course bonding is vital, and a full pre-season is preferable. But as we don't have the pulling power to attract top players, sometimes we have to wait for them to weigh up their options or see if we get other offers. 

So, would you rather get someone who's perhaps not as good in early, to pick up a few more points earlier in the season, or wait for your top target, which may make you drop a few points early on but will win you more points overall? 

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wilder said that Akpom didn't start because of his lack of conditioning. Which is a fair enough reason, but it's Wilder's fault for not involving him in pre-season.

End of the day if you go 3-0 down in the first half you can't complain when you come away empty handed at full time

If Wilder insists on playing this system of releasing the wingbacks upfield then he has to solve the problem of who is going to protect the centre halves when we lose possession. The best example was

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

Of course bonding is vital, and a full pre-season is preferable. But as we don't have the pulling power to attract top players, sometimes we have to wait for them to weigh up their options or see if we get other offers. 

So, would you rather get someone who's perhaps not as good in early, to pick up a few more points earlier in the season, or wait for your top target, which may make you drop a few points early on but will win you more points overall? 

Is it impossible to get decent players early who have been identified & tracked by our supposedly all new,all shiny recruitment staff? Seems like it.I thought there were never as many quality free agents available as this season.

I get what you saying but it just seems sooooooo slow.Seems like every other post last year was blaming Warnock for a sluggish start & it ultimately costing us a play off place according to most on here, So dropping points early in the season will cost us later on.I know its only 2 games but its a very disappointing start.Tough games on the way as well before the end of the month.

I like Giles,Lenihan will be a big player for us,Steffen will have me pulling my hair out but i think will save us points overall.Decent signings but we have so much to do in a few weeks or otherwise we will be playing catch up.

55 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

We're not waiting for our top targets though.  I think this is maybe the bit that's getting lost.  We're missing out on our top targets, then looking at the next ones, and that's why it's taking time.  Forss and Hoppe weren't our top targets, we haven't signed them at this point of the transfer window because we were waiting for them.  I don't believe that's the case with either the midfield or left sided central defender positions either.  I think we've been trying to get things done but we just haven't been able to for various reasons.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sanddancer said:

I believe Chris has publicly issued the club a warning, he is not happy with transfers.

I question the lack of energy and stamina throughout the squad. How on earth had we signed players who can’t manage 90 mins in a game, or cover a average, I believe is, 6.5 miles. I don’t believe any of the players or manager deserve a score over 4 yesterday. 

Rebuilding is a byword commonly used at the club that’s past it’s sell by date. It’s time the club revealed the plan and started to produce the goods and results. 

Do you also believe in Fairies and Santa?

On 8/6/2022 at 7:57 PM, BoroSmoggie said:

You absolutely have to take Willock down there and get a yellow card. You can’t let a man of Willocks quality freely run at the defence like that. It’s naive from him and he’s being too nice. 

If Crooks did it, people would be saying it was needless, 'typical Crooks', calling him league 1. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Changing Times said:

We're not waiting for our top targets though.  I think this is maybe the bit that's getting lost.  We're missing out on our top targets, then looking at the next ones, and that's why it's taking time.  Forss and Hoppe weren't our top targets, we haven't signed them at this point of the transfer window because we were waiting for them.  I don't believe that's the case with either the midfield or left sided central defender positions either.  I think we've been trying to get things done but we just haven't been able to for various reasons.

Not true. Armstrong, Strand Larson and Jacob Greaves are all players at the top of our list. We will have missed out on other targets no denying that, but the real quality we’re playing the long game. 

4 hours ago, Leesider said:

Is it impossible to get decent players early who have been identified & tracked by our supposedly all new,all shiny recruitment staff? Seems like it.I thought there were never as many quality free agents available as this season.

I get what you saying but it just seems sooooooo slow.Seems like every other post last year was blaming Warnock for a sluggish start & it ultimately costing us a play off place according to most on here, So dropping points early in the season will cost us later on.I know its only 2 games but its a very disappointing start.Tough games on the way as well before the end of the month.

I like Giles,Lenihan will be a big player for us,Steffen will have me pulling my hair out but i think will save us points overall.Decent signings but we have so much to do in a few weeks or otherwise we will be playing catch up.

If we could’ve done deals for our top targets we obviously would’ve done them. Ultimately this boils down to whether you’d rather have David McGoldrick in by July or Strand Larson in at the end of August. No brainer.

I watched the full game and I think some people are being harsh and are overreacting to 1 bad game ... 

First goal: Yes Jones and Dijk should do better, but the effort from Willock was marvelous .. If he attempted that 10 times, he would only score once .. 

Second goal - Steffen was clearly pushed ... As a goalie, if you are pushed in the lower back all your momentum and balance disappear .. It was a freekick all day long! 

Third goal was poor from us .. very *** poor defending - It happens for all good teams too.

Overall - We need a strong, fast, mobile DEFENSIVE midfielder to protect the 3 cental defenders. Howson's passing when we are on top is out of this world, but he is just a makeshift CDM .. He is more a box to box ..  So to say Lenihan is poor is very harsh .. He is commanding and can defend .. But when the midfield goes missing (there were sometimes a gap of 30 meters) he and others look a bit lost .. Dijksteels speed protects Dijksteel from the above .. 

We need a GOOD LCB .. So Giles is covered better and don't HAVE to do that much defending, where he is well below average at this level. 

We should deffinitely have had a penna .. Stone wall and everything .. (Blanco) has explained this in this thread .. 

You cannot judge players on 2 games only .. You need a much bigger sample .. And I bet both Lenihan and Steffen will prove all early haters wrong! 

McGree is a natural number 10 .. He should play as one .. with two strikers in front of him and Crooks and a new DM sitting deeper. Crooks should ofc be more advanced than a new CDM but not as advanced as McGree

Akpompom did great and should be a good option from the bench, when needed after we sign a first choice striker.

Jones had an off game most of the time - Could the sales of Tav and Spence have affected his mood/confidence whatever?

We will get it all right before you know it

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Not true. Armstrong, Strand Larson and Jacob Greaves are all players at the top of our list. We will have missed out on other targets no denying that, but the real quality we’re playing the long game. 

Says who mate?  Armstrong has been linked on here but nothing else, and we appear to be signing other players?  I mean, we've been linked with about 10 strikers now it's not like these are the only names we've heard about.  Stand Larsen we've only just bid for after we've been knocked back on other players like the French lad in Italy.  You can't honestly think we've waited all summer to make a bid for him?  We've quite clearly missed out on players we wanted, nothing wrong with that, it happens all the time.  It's like saying we waited to sign Forss, it's obviously not the case.  As for Greaves, can you tell me how waiting to try and sign him makes it more likely that we will get him?  Wouldn't our chances have been higher if we'd gone in early before Hull sold the lad for a fortune to Brentford?  If we want him we'll have to pay over what we would have wanted to now. Hull have no need to sell him, and they know we've sold a couple of players ourselves for decent money.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Leesider said:

I really dont understand that arguement at all. Surely its better to get players in early,get a proper preseason & get off to a flying start.

As far as i know the 3 points for a win is the same in August or April.

How often do we hear managers talking about not having enough time on the training ground because of the hectic schedule.Preseason is vital,Gelling the group is vital,Team bonding is vital.A good start is better than a poor one.We have had a very poor one largely because the recruitment has been so slow.

As regards Mc Nair,theres been loads of posters suggesting he should be sold.

Can’t agree with you here buddy. 

obviously the gold solution is to get all your top targets in early. 
if that isn’t possible I’d much prefer to get your top targets in over the duration of the transfer window. Nothing is won /lost in August Notts Forrest are testament to that being bottom after the first 6/7 games of last  season (sure the fact checkers will pull me up on that one) 

My personal opinion is get the right players in, not the right now players I never take much notice of the table until 6-8 games in and unless were RockBottom after that I’m pretty chilled on the season 👍

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Can’t agree with you here buddy. 

obviously the gold solution is to get all your top targets in early. 
if that isn’t possible I’d much prefer to get your top targets in over the duration of the transfer window. Nothing is won /lost in August Notts Forrest are testament to that being bottom after the first 6/7 games of last  season (sure the fact checkers will pull me up on that one) 

My personal opinion is get the right players in, not the right now players I never take much notice of the table until 6-8 games in and unless were RockBottom after that I’m pretty chilled on the season 👍

Can I ask a question, do you think Forest would have been promoted if they hadn't changed their manager?

• Like 1

Really don’t get the argument that you only have two choices in the transfer window of signing duffers early on or gold later.

Nothing about our transfer activity shows this as playing out as true.

Fairly sure Pulis got slammed for the same idea. Yet by current logic we are smart to do this.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Can I ask a question, do you think Forest would have been promoted if they hadn't changed their manager?

Personal opinion

Absolutely not. Forest had to get the right people in and one of those was the manager. My point i was trying to make was where’s as a good start is preferable it’s not always essential

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Really don’t get the argument that you only have two choices in the transfer window of signing duffers early on or gold later.

Fairly sure Pulis got slammed for the same idea. Yet by current logic we are smart to do this.

The difference with Pulis was he was trying to make out that was his plan from the outset to wait until the end. although I suspect/hope he was saying it to manage expectations of he want then it’sa very dangerous game to play

1 hour ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Absolutely no one is saying this so you're arguing against an argument no one's made.

The argument being made is that it's more important to get the right players in regardless of whether that's at the start of the window or the end of the window. No one WANTS to wait till the end (except maybe pulis, but like uwe said that was probably just Billy big balls rubbish), but sometimes you have to be patient rather than move on and get someone who doesn't fit as well. 

• Like 1