oneBoro Forum

QPR v Boro 3-2 (Crooks, Forss)

Will we have any new signings in time for this match?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will we have any new signings in time for this match?

• Yes, keep the faith
    • No, time to meltdown

3 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Absolutely no one is saying this so you're arguing against an argument no one's made.

The argument being made is that it's more important to get the right players in regardless of whether that's at the start of the window or the end of the window. No one WANTS to wait till the end (except maybe pulis, but like uwe said that was probably just Billy big balls rubbish), but sometimes you have to be patient rather than move on and get someone who doesn't fit as well. 

players and selling clubs often dont mind doing business late when they try use the leverage to get more money or use the spare time to work out if they should come down and accept a offer below what they are asking. or players using the time to agree better terms, just sometimes its something you got to live with if want them players  with clubs/agents playing these games to get best deal for themselves.

just shows me more than ever these windows need closing before the season starts, maybe a week before season starts for permant and then let the loans be the next week. might be a big hectic but sure clubs would adjust and sort things out and everyone starts the season with their team

• Like 1
  • Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wilder said that Akpom didn't start because of his lack of conditioning. Which is a fair enough reason, but it's Wilder's fault for not involving him in pre-season.

End of the day if you go 3-0 down in the first half you can't complain when you come away empty handed at full time

If Wilder insists on playing this system of releasing the wingbacks upfield then he has to solve the problem of who is going to protect the centre halves when we lose possession. The best example was

Posted Images

On 8/7/2022 at 9:14 AM, Smokedsalmon said:

Coming back from the match yesterday, I think it showed us all what we already knew; we are still 5-6 players away from being a top team and that we are incredibly inconsistent.

For me though, perhaps controversially, I really don't think we are well suited to this 3-5-2 system at all.

The back 3 should be the strongest part of the team on paper but I don't think it suits Fry or McNair. McNair is a midfielder for me, and Fry is not mobile enough to play as a wide centre back. I haven't seen enough of Lenihan to judge yet but I get the feeling he would feel more comfortable in a 2 as well. Bola should be nowhere near the team as a centre-half and I think Dijksteel is probably the only one who suits the wide centre-back role.

I think Jones and Giles are very average defenders, but good wingers. Giles in particular would be unbelievable at left wing. Jones needs to pull his finger out, for me. He was awful yesterday, both in possession and out of it. I don't think either are at their best as wing backs. Defensive responsibility tires them out and means after 60 minutes they're both pretty shot.

I think the midfield three are not suited to 3-5-2 at all;

Howson is not mobile enough to be the lone holding midfielder. McGree is clearly a #10, he's the best player we have at progressing the ball and driving, but he's trying to do it so deep that he gets crowded out and loses the ball a lot because of it. Crooks, again, plays his best football going forwards, with good goal/assist records, but he struggles to play box to box and impact the game in the midfield.

We are missing a deep-lying playmaker (like Josh Cullen at Burnley) and we are missing a midfield enforcer (in the mould that Clayton used to be for us). Both are integral in a system like this because the game is won and lost on being able to use your midfield numbers to control that part of the pitch. In the first half our midfield was not impacting on the game whatsoever.

Our strikers are probably the only part of the team genuinely suited to 3-5-2 as I don't think any of them could operate on their own. Hopefully that will soon change with reinforcements.

Long ramble there but I just couldn't help but feel if we had set up something like this...

395110970_lineup(1).png.c23aa50fbcca962ff4f7978ee526af81.png

Or even..

.242787252_lineup(2).png.51ff553e89f225571fb815264236e149.png

It gets our best players in their best position and shares defensively responsibility more evenly throughout the team. 3-5-2 relies so heavily on the back 3 & the midfield 3 to be defensively spot on and generally I believe it only suits elite teams like Chelsea who's defenders aren't going to make the same amount of errors as ours do.

I know Wilder had success with 3-5-2 with Sheffield United, but he had players who were more suited to playing that system and he built it over 3-4 years. He has come straight in here and tried to apply the exact same philosophy to a squad of players who, for me, just don't have the same qualities as the ones he had before.

Yeh I agree I said exactly this when Wilder came in last season. Our squad then suited a 442 more than any other formation and I still believe it to be the case now. We don't have a good enough striker as of yet to play 451 but that may change. I had some heated arguments with the usual YouTube football crowd who listen to too much *** in the media instead of actually taking proper notice and consideration about what they are seeing on the pitch about this.  

Other than a really good start we have struggled and in truth alot of those early wins were very close and could have gone either way. We rarely outplay anyone in terms of doing the business at both ends and winning very comfortably. An example would be Forest at home I'd say it was our best performance of the season but we didn't create that many chances and Forest missed some absolute sitters and hit the post even though they were barely in the game for long periods. 

This cock and bull formation and tactics is overly complicated and unsuitable for our players and a good manager is able to find a way of playing that suits his players and clearly wilder has very little tactical knowledge to change anything. Football moves on and what worked 3 years ago gets found out and countered and you need to adapt. To me he just seems a very arrogant and stubborn man and is in his own way a bit of a dinosaur clinging on to a flawed set up that fundamentally he wasn't even responsible for thinking up.

Sorry if already posted... But anyone seen this longer post match interview? I'd only seen the shorter pitch side one. I know he's prickly after a loss anyway, but from about 5:30 he seems very, very p***** off with the player's performance and the transfer situation.

Said Forss, Akpom, and Watmore only had 45 mins in them and we're so far off being a promotion contender. And 'maybe I should have concentrated more on transfers than this game.'

Says he needs sympathy and help 😬

• Thanks 1
On 8/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, Rob said:

why are everyone blaming the players etc, when we loose all responsibility lies on who made the match day thread in my opinion

DZ is a bit of a bogeyman when it comes to matchday threads. Right now we need another Smogzilla. 😉

On 8/9/2022 at 10:35 AM, SouthernSmoggie said:

Sorry if already posted... But anyone seen this longer post match interview? I'd only seen the shorter pitch side one. I know he's prickly after a loss anyway, but from about 5:30 he seems very, very p***** off with the player's performance and the transfer situation.

Said Forss, Akpom, and Watmore only had 45 mins in them and we're so far off being a promotion contender. And 'maybe I should have concentrated more on transfers than this game.'

Says he needs sympathy and help 😬

He's definitely not a happy bunny...not that you'd expect otherwise.

It is worrying and annoying, if true, that some players are still not turning up for basically half a game. As I said before, those individuals need to be told in crystal clear terms that that is unacceptable. If that hurts their feelings then tough. The players who were here last season should know by now what Wilder expects. If they can't deliver they should be prepared to be benched or let go.

Not at all surprised about new signings or Akpom not being fully match fit yet - thats only to be expected. Watmore - well we already know he can't last a full game. Seems no amount of pre-season training is going to change that. Get the feeling Wilder would like to offload him ASAP just for that.

I do have some sympathy for Wilder. Its clearly been a much tougher transfer window than expected and the club clearly haven't been able to land all their targets. Added to that he's operating with a threadbare squad at the moment and you can see its been a difficult few weeks for him.

The club really needs to get its act together on the transfer front and deliver CW a decent squad with some strength in depth. Otherwise he has a ready-made excuse for not living up to expectations.

I'd also agree that Boro are a long way from being even play-off contenders right now. The next few weeks and the January transfer window might change that...all we can do is wait and see...

• Like 1