oneBoro Forum

Boro V Barnsley (League Cup) 0-1

Hi there, @wilsoncgp here! Just letting you know that I merged two threads together and now the wrong person is the author of the thread!

Please see the post below this from Smogzilla too for the actual opening post!

-------------------------------------------

First of all after Saturday I am giving Dijksteel the night off, think we have just about enough cover to allow it. Also Howson at his age doesn’t need this game, night off for him to and get him in best mind set for Sunday.

My Team

Roberts

McNair

Fry

Bilongo

Smith

Crooks

Hackney

Boyd Munce

Bola

Forss

Akpom

Subs - Daniels, Gibson, Jones, McGree, Finch, Kavanagh, Watmore

This also allows our loan signings Steffen and Giles a full rest.

What do you think?

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised nobody gets excited for cup games, our best games for me last season were cup games and those kind of games only potentially come about if we win the games we should win on paper. T

I think the Tav transfer really took any new season feel good factor away. The fact we are 2 weeks later without a replacement even close is frustrating and makes you question what the club are doing,

Posted Images

'ello

We're back at it again on Wednesday night, for the definitely-not-an-inconvenience-Carabao Cup!

We've been drawn against Barnsley, who have had a difficult start to life in league one following their relegation, losing both of their opening fixtures. Who knows what kind of teams the two sides will put out. Will Wilder chuck the kids out or go with a strong team, given that a tough test awaits for us on Sunday with the visit of Sheffield United? I reckon a few debuts await for some of our u21 squad, which will keep me interested at the very least!

Some questions to consider pre match:

What team would you put out for this game?

Would you like to see any of the youth get minutes? if so, who?

Has @diggerlad07 been captured and tied to a bed by @Tarmo Kink Army, a la Stephen King's "Misery"?

• Like 3

I'd give game time to the Players that need some fitness like Forss and Akpom plus those usually on the bench.

Hang on we haven't got a bench so I guess that means playing the first (and only) team that we have at the moment. I would however supplement it by giving a few of the youngsters some opportunity plus Roberts in goal for Steffen in case he gets blinded by the floodlights dealing with a cross or corner or gets an imaginary shove from an opponent "ghosting" in.

We aren't going to win it, that will be between the top 6 Premiership Clubs to collect at Wembley early next year so I wouldn't risk anyone. Losing to Barnsley would be frustrating especially after the spluttering start that we have had but there is a bigger and more important prize at stake. Might be a good opportunity to take a look at Styles.

• Like 1
Just now, Redcar Rioja said:

I'd give game time to the Players that need some fitness like Forss and Akpom plus those usually on the bench.

Hang on we haven't got a bench so I guess that means playing the first (and only) team that we have at the moment. I would however supplement it by giving a few of the youngsters some opportunity plus Roberts in goal for Steffen in case he gets blinded by the floodlights dealing with a cross or corner or gets an imaginary shove from an opponent "ghosting" in.

We aren't going to win it, that will be between the top 6 Premiership Clubs to collect at Wembley early next year so I wouldn't risk anyone. Losing to Barnsley would be frustrating especially after the spluttering start that we have had but there is a bigger and more important prize at stake. Might be a good opportunity to take a look at Styles.

He did get a shove. 🤦‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He did get a shove. 🤦‍♂️

Only saw the replay at the time but it looked nothing in it to me, jostling goes on at all Corners. It looked like he simply lost the ball in the sunlight and was looking for an excuse after flapping.

2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Only saw the replay at the time but it looked nothing in it to me, jostling goes on at all Corners. It looked like he simply lost the ball in the sunlight and was looking for an excuse after flapping.

He got an arm in his back.

9 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

I asked the missus to tie me to the bed.... she did but the went downstairs  to watch emmerdale in peace and quiet !!

Sounds fair enough! 😆 At least you're not at the tender mercies of TKA.

What team would you put out for this game?

Can't decide really. The first team, such as it is, clearly needs more practice playing together. At the same time I want them to be fresh as possible for the Sheffield game. Probably stick the newest recruits in and fill the remaining places with U23s. 

We're not really in a state to go on a good cup run yet, so may as well get it over with quick.

Would you like to see any of the youth get minutes? if so, who?

Can't name any - so whoever's been looking good lately.

Has @diggerlad07 been captured and tied to a bed by @Tarmo Kink Army, a la Stephen King's "Misery"?

Just confirmed he's in "relatively" safe captivity courtesy of his missus. But TKA could be lurking outside, just waiting for his chance... 😨

4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Let's hope it was a blatant foul then because it looked to me like a normal jostle even on the replay. He better get used to it because there will be plenty more pushing and shoving over the rest of the season in the Championship especially now that he will be targeted by opponents at crosses and corners.

If it was Lumley the pitchforks would be out. I'll keep an open mind because he has done some good stuff in the couple of games and is still settling in but if he gets caught off his line again and it costs us next time or misses more crosses then the benefit of the doubt will be very short lived.

We will rotate with Roberts coming in for his competive debut

Hopefully Fry Mcnair will come back in. I feel we should rest Giles and Jones playing bola Tommy Smith on the wings. In midfield we can't really rotate as we don't have the players but maybe Hackney for Howson. Then up front forss and Akpom. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He got a little knock. If you want to see what a foul is watch what Lenihan is doing 😁

4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Let's hope it was a blatant foul then because it looked to me like a normal jostle even on the replay. He better get used to it because there will be plenty more pushing and shoving over the rest of the season in the Championship especially now that he will be targeted by opponents at crosses and corners.

If it was Lumley the pitchforks would be out. I'll keep an open mind because he has done some good stuff in the couple of games and is still settling in but if he gets caught off his line again and it costs us next time or misses more crosses then the benefit of the doubt will be very short lived.

I was at the game and have watched it since I got home and it will get called a foul more often than not, I'm confident of that. There was a clear arm in his back as he went up for his jump.

He's likely not used to the physicality of the championship & the dogshit inconsistent reffing.

As for being caught off his line, Wilder clearly wants our GK to play like that so that's going to continue to happen.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

I was at the game and have watched it since I got home and it will get called a foul more often than not, I'm confident of that. There was a clear arm in his back as he went up for his jump.

He's likely not used to the physicality of the championship & the dogshit inconsistent reffing.

As for being caught off his line, Wilder clearly wants our GK to play like that so that's going to continue to happen.

Ahh, the "push" was more like a gentle breeze. He should be able to get to the ball. Goalkeepers get touched all the time and he just decided to do nothing as soon as he felt the arm and started crying to the ref. He needs to be lot stronger.

Anyway just seen that Lenihans red card only sees him miss out this game which is fairly lucky for us as we need all hands on deck for the league with our threadbare squad. I think he was going to sit this one out anyway. Fry and McNair back in defence. I have no idea about the rest of the team but really there aren't much rotation Wilder can do with the squad unless he makes use of some of the very young lads in midfield and up front. Would be nice to go trough and get the first win out of the way.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Boro V Barnsley (League Cup) 0-1